Canon to Buy Video Surveillance Leader Axis for $2.8b

Feb 28, 2013
I don't know why this should be a problem a similar type of purchase was made by Olympus in 2008 when it bought a UK medical company for $ 2.2BN and rolled it in with its own medical business this group controls 70% of the global endoscope market and they have maintained and grown the UK business they purchased.
Canon is only mirroring the leveraging of CMOS sensors across multiple markets and surveillance is here to stay if you think you've too many cameras in the US come to the UK the country with the most cameras full stop.

I don't think it changes anything at their photography unit.

Upvote 0
I realize that there are great and wonderful uses for surveillance equipment, and I also realize that it's impossible to live life *not* being watched. (I've a friend who's into Internet security). However I think much of our reaction to over-surveillance (at least in my case) is not so much distress at being watched as at the realization that our society has so lost any underlying sense of morality that there are enough of us that *need* to be watched as to merit that kind of investment.
Sorry, thought I'd clear up why I'm not fond of surveillance- it's not the surveillance itself

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
AcutancePhotography said:
kphoto99 said:
Canon just spend $2.8b on Axis

Buying a company for $2.9b does not necessarily mean that Canon writes a check for the 2.8. When companies that large buy out other large companies the actually "buying" can take many forms and can take a while.

It's a cash offer.

http://www.canon.com/news/2015/feb10e.html

"Canon Announces Public Cash Offer to the Shareholders of Axis"

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
kphoto99 said:
Canon just spend $2.8b on Axis

Buying a company for $2.9b does not necessarily mean that Canon writes a check for the 2.8. When companies that large buy out other large companies the actually "buying" can take many forms and can take a while.
it's a cash deal.

canon has around 4B cash sitting in the kitty.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
kphoto99 said:
Another way to think about this:

If Canon can make larger profits with Axis, it will give Canon more money to invest back into their other business areas.

Buy a more profitable line in order to fund a less profitable line is a common business practice.

Since Canon has a finite supply of money: Another way to think about this:

Canon just spend $2.8b on Axis so they don't have the money to spend on a modern fab line for an improved sensor.

Canon just spend $2.8b on Axis so they don't have the money to spend on R&D for the less profitable products: DSLR

Canon just spend $2.8b on Axis, they think the growth is in security and not in DSLR, so move the technical staff to this area away from a dying field of DSLR.

and the eeyore t-shirt of the day goes to...

this has nothing to do with money spent on R&D as that comes out of their sales, if you had spent something like 30 seconds looking at canon's financial data.

and besides a "modern" fab line that can produce 65nm chips certainly isn't 2.8billion. not even intel's latest 10nm fab was that much.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
jeffa4444 said:
I don't know why this should be a problem a similar type of purchase was made by Olympus in 2008 when it bought a UK medical company for $ 2.2BN and rolled it in with its own medical business this group controls 70% of the global endoscope market and they have maintained and grown the UK business they purchased.
Canon is only mirroring the leveraging of CMOS sensors across multiple markets and surveillance is here to stay if you think you've too many cameras in the US come to the UK the country with the most cameras full stop.

I don't think it changes anything at their photography unit.

if anything it should ease some of the pressure on the imaging group to produce profits.

Upvote 0
I am happy, that many public places are equipped with surveillance cameras, because they reduce the crime rate in those locations substancially. I am shure, world wide the need for surveillance cameras will increase in years to come. Growth perspective is quite good.
Canon will be able to dilute their research and development costs, since they will be able to spred costs over a much larger number of sensors.
I am very happy, that canon did this deal. On the long run, we will also see benefits in the camera business.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
gwflauto said:
I am happy, that many public places are equipped with surveillance cameras, because they reduce the crime rate in those locations substancially. I am shure, world wide the need for surveillance cameras will increase in years to come. Growth perspective is quite good.
Canon will be able to dilute their research and development costs, since they will be able to spred costs over a much larger number of sensors.
I am very happy, that canon did this deal. On the long run, we will also see benefits in the camera business.

Security cameras don't reduce crime, they move just it.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
privatebydesign said:
gwflauto said:

So, put them everywhere and then where will it move?

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
privatebydesign said:
Really?

There is a difference - and a dramatic one - between surveillance in locations in which you don't have a reasonable expectation of privacy, and locations in which you do. In 1984, surveillance was extended into the home, and not only remote surveillance but also in-person.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
privatebydesign said:
You'd like to think that wouldn't you.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2950081/It-s-not-just-smart-TVs-home-gadgets-spy-internet-giants-collecting-personal-data-high-tech-devices.html

First, I don't have one. Second, any device I have that has a front-facing camera has that camera disabled in a hacker-proof way (physically blocked - black electrical tape works great for this). Finally, this is Samsung being stupid, not a government actively suppressing their citizens on purpose as in 1984.

Upvote 0
I think it ie VERY good.
Axix is a local business and I have always had faith in them, which has just proven to be quite true. I owned 750 shares in Axis and when I woke up last Tuesday I suddenly had made an extra profit of more than $10 000 after tax. I immediately sold the shares and ordered the new 5DS R and will probably use the rest of the money for a trip to Churchill in November in order to photograph polar bears.
Thank you Canon!

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
gwflauto said:

They move it and reduce it overall, when installed at the proper location. And I am happy about the neighbors' camera too. And I am glad, that my kid can return home safely, since those dangerous spots in our town don't exist anymore.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
gwflauto said:
privatebydesign said:
gwflauto said:

They move it and reduce it overall, when installed at the proper location. And I am happy about the neighbors' camera too. And I am glad, that my kid can return home safely, since those dangerous spots in our town don't exist anymore.

No they don't reduce it overall, the reporting criteria is changed so the numbers look like they go down. That way we can be sold on ever lower crime figures with fewer police actually out on the street, meanwhile we put up with ever more surveillance of law abiding citizens. We are told it is going in the right direction because that is what they want to tell us and we want to hear. Meanwhile we have become nations who live in constant fear of either having our children abducted, or being accused of abducting or abusing them, of a 'war on terror' that means we are subjected to completely ineffectual manhandling by TSA, and the police and their equivalents at every opportunity. Any and every invasion and theft of our collective rights is blamed on a need to guard against 'the terrorists', which has become a byword for almost anybody that doesn't have the same point of view as the people in power.

But hey, if you believe it and it makes you feel good it has done it's job, just don't believe it has made any difference to the thieves, terrorists and never do wells...........

Upvote 0