Canon to release a 100mp EOS R system camera next year [CR2]

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
No service needed. I'm speaking about the specific condition of bright daytime backlight. In the shade/overcast, or when the sun is low, no problem. Purple everywhere, otherwise. While fringing may be a problem for a lot of fast lenses, it is not true of all. Specifically the lenses with Canon's BR element: EF 35mm f/1.4L II, and the RF 85mm f/1.2L.

I'm not entirely clear if it's CA at the plane of focus or bokeh CA that's the issue. With that said...

Since I tend to shoot this lens at night or in less contrasty situations (i.e. indoors) I just walked outside to try and recreate this. Power line against blue sky had virtually no CA at the plane of focus. Power line against a bright white cloud (full sun illuminating at an angle to the cloud) had some. But I've seen worse from other lenses in less stressful conditions, and it was easily corrected in PS.

Bokeh fringing is certainly there in all lighting conditions, but this is true for nearly every fast lens. Even the few lenses which correct for it, like the two you mention, still show it to some degree. My Tamron 45mm is better in this respect than the lens it replaced, a pre-ART 50mm f/1.4. But it's certainly not as good as those lenses which specifically try to correct it.

So if it's bokeh fringing which you hate, you would have to move to something like the 35 f/1.4L II. If it's fringing at the plane of focus, I still say something is off with your copy of the lens and it may be worth contacting Tamron to see if it can be corrected.

Investigating further: The Digital Picture came to a similar conclusion with the 45mm and 35mm (though the 35mm was a bit worse). I bring up the 35mm only because it's close in design and OpticalLimits.com found horrible purple fringing in their copy, at the plane of focus, much worse than TDP found in theirs. The samples at the two sites look like they came from different lenses. (OpticalLimits didn't test a 45mm.) So there could be a manufacturing variation in these lenses which leads to this. I have no idea if such a variation could be fixed after the fact.

(I don't mean to write so much in response to the comment you made. It just surprised me because I'm not seeing the same with my copy, and I was curious as to what might be going on.)

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
This is a rather disingenuous statement to say the least !! As with the other Canon off sensor ADC cameras if you want the maximum quality that the sensor can bring it's important to nail the exposure, and if you do this then the 5DS/r has excellent shadow recovery and remarkable highlight recovery, certainly more than you can ever fit into the DR of a print or even high quality screen without looking ridiculous. I know some people have associated the shot noise (photon noise) of the 5DS as "poor quality" but this is just normal physics and you see the same in any very high mp / small pixel / large output sensor.

Pretty much this. If you ETTR you can open up virtually black canyon walls against a bright blue sky with white clouds and hold detail, with low noise, across the full range. Actually, you can do that with a crop sensor 7D. The 5Ds/sR give you more DR than a 7D. Again, the 5Ds/sR are Portra territory in terms of total DR. Portra naturally had most of this in the highlights while any digital sensor will have most of its range in the shadows. But the point is that nobody has ever considered Portra to be a poor performer when it comes to latitude/DR.

That's not to say the Sony sensors or the 5D mark IV / R5 aren't better. They are. And that gives you more room to recover an exposure error, and maybe room to record a scene with one frame instead of two (depending on the scene; a lot of high DR scenes would exceed any sensor and require HDR techniques). But the way people talk about some of Canon's older models...I just can't help but think they are not nailing their exposures and practicing ETTR, and are therefore losing a couple stops of the sensor's full range. If you then compare this to someone who uses ETTR and maximizes the range on an R5 or a D850....

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
The MacBook is thunderbolt and they can be daisy chained. You can plug at least 6 devices per port, there are now TB hubs and most TB devices have two ports so can act as pass through.
So is Thunderbolt a Mac protocol that happens to run over a USB-C port & wire? Or is it not a USB-C port & wire? I have a 15" 2016 MBP with 4 ports which I thought were USB-C, and macrunning mentioned his(her?) MBP with 4 ports whoose USB-C ports (I presume) can't be daisy-chained. So I'm confused, or I'm missing something?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
So is Thunderbolt a Mac protocol that happens to run over a USB-C port & wire? Or is it not a USB-C port & wire? I have a 15" 2016 MBP with 4 ports which I thought were USB-C, and macrunning mentioned his(her?) MBP with 4 ports whoose USB-C ports (I presume) can't be daisy-chained. So I'm confused, or I'm missing something?
Thunderbolt 3 is a souped up USB-C developed before USB-C was finalized. TB 3 cables are very different internally to USB-C cables in that they are much more capable, and expensive. USB-C cables will not deliver TB3 capabilities.

Upvote 0
You can't daisy chain more USB-C devices onto it. You can daisy chain older USB devices through a hub. I've been trying to find (for the better parts of a year now) to find a multi USB-C port. It doesn't exist. So you can only use 2 USB-C devices. If you were to get more USB-C devices you are SOL right now. One other thing to note is that you need one of those USB-C ports to power up/recharge your MBP!
Those are Thunderbolt 3 ports, and you can chain together external drives, for example and adapter a disply-port monitor to the end. But yeah, no hub for loads of USB C I’ve seen...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Thunderbolt 3 is a souped up USB-C developed before USB-C was finalized. TB 3 cables are very different internally to USB-C cables in that they are much more capable, and expensive. USB-C cables will not deliver TB3 capabilities.

Thanks, privatebydesign, for the links. So two TB3 ports should be just fine, and if you need more than 2 things (USB-C or TB3) connected, make sure there's a TB3 hub somewhere in at least one of the devices hooked up to the TB3 port with a TB3 wire.

"I feel much better now" ;)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Sounds like a good camera to use with TS-E lenses for landscapes, shifting the lens in all directions and stitching 17 or so pictures together.
The best shifting stitches you can do with the Canon TS-E’s is a 4 image diagonal shift that increases the sensor area by an effective 251%, so 100mp would become a 250+ more image. I do this pretty regularly with my mere 20mp sensor...

Of course you can pan stitch any number of images but you don’t need a TS-E for that!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Thanks, privatebydesign, for the links. So two TB3 ports should be just fine, and if you need more than 2 things (USB-C or TB3) connected, make sure there's a TB3 hub somewhere in at least one of the devices hooked up to the TB3 port with a TB3 wire.

I jumped in with TB3 three years ago and haven’t looked back. I have a 4 port MBP and on my main desk I have a dock with large monitor, card readers, speakers, wired 10GbE. NAS, and a couple of external HDD’s along with charging the MBP all take just one connection! I have an external SSD that I take away with me that plugs direct into the MBP or my iPad (that has USB-C/TB3 port), as do my travel card reader, GoPro, DJI drone and gimbal, and B&W headphones. The only device I now have that is not simply USB-C/TB3 is my phone. I travel with one charger and three cables, two TB3 and a USB-C to lightening cable, and can charge and connect everything.

The elephant in the room being the 1DX II, silly but an important reason for me to want to upgrade to the MkIII.

But watch the cables, if you want the performance double check for the TB3 or TB4 icon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Upvote 0
I keep wondering about the different body than the R5 part of this rumour. Going back to older rumours on this body before the R5 was released, I wonder if some of the older rumours are back on the menu?

This rumour from 2019 on the camera is the one I was thinking about - i.e. tilting viewfinder, bigger LCD (than EOS R), new style joystick, etc. The R5 seems like a pretty effective format, so I'm pretty curious on what they're changing.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I feel your pain with the chip switch. I had the G4 and multiple G5 machines back in the day. Then apple switched to the Intel chipset. Looks like now they are back to their own chipset. I wouldn't count on anything in your computer being upgradable other than what your choices are in the box as you bought it. My G5s are all in the heap pile now. I switched to using MBPs because of the ability to travel with them. Mobility is just more important and yes when I'm at home it's connected up to 2 large monitors, wireless keyboard, external hard drives and the like. It does a fine job. My only point is the slow down I've experienced using larger R5 files vs the R files. So personally I couldn't imagine wanting to or needing to use 100mp photos. This is not only due to the limitations of the computer itself but also the transfer speeds of usb cables. While my MBP has 4 USC-C outlets, There are limitations with this technology currently (like not being able to have an external multi usb-c hub because usb-c can't be daisy chained) but no matter what folks are using for a computer there is a bottle neck at the transfer rate of files. In the end everyone has their own use cases and will justify what they need/want. For me 45mp images are large enough and with AI technology from companies like Topaz I would just find 100mp to be more of a burden. The R5 gets amazing detail out of the box and if I should ever find myself needing to go bigger, AI has arrived.
I have been using Macs since 1987, so I have been through several transitions. They all went surprisingly well, I thought. I am currently using a 2014 5K iMac. I got it with 32GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD. It chews through 4K video and Photoshop still seems zippy. About the only delays I experience are in accessing external hard drives and slow web sites. Apple will support Intel Macs for another 8 or 10 years. Software companies can compile their apps for both kinds of processors without a lot of trouble I gather. Plus, supposedly the Intel emulation on the M1 Macs runs really fast. At this point I have no idea of when I might feel the need to upgrade. I’m still using some old software for which there is no cheap substitute, so that is a factor. I still have my 2006 Mac Pro hooked up next to the iMac, so it comes into play on an occasional music project, such as encoding analog audio while I edit its past work on the iMac. A 100 MP camera is unlikely in my future, so that won’t influence my computing choices.

Also, I don’t have any need for a laptop. I’m retired, and the iPad is all I need when traveling. I will probably upgrade it before the Mac, once I get back to riding trains and planes. The Apple Card makes it way too easy to buy their stuff with a few clicks, with trade ins, 3% cash back, and months to pay with no interest, way too painless.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
The best shifting stitches you can do with the Canon TS-E’s is a 4 image diagonal shift that increases the sensor area by an effective 251%, so 100mp would become a 250+ more image. I do this pretty regularly with my mere 20mp sensor...

Of course you can pan stitch any number of images but you don’t need a TS-E for that!
The TS-E lenses make the stitching work a lot better. When I rented the 24mm and then the 17mm, I did some shots that involved a straight shot and then shifts in every direction in 30° intervals. I might could have got away with fewer shots, but I think I used 17 for overlapping coverage. I might be wrong, but it seems like once I cropped to a square, it was about 82 MP. The computer had no problem with that.

Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
No your right. They are called thunderbolt. https://www.pcmag.com/news/thunderbolt-3-vs-usb-c-whats-the-difference
I got the name wrong. Still haven't been able to find a multi port hub to extend how many thundbolt connections you can have.

Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
Those are Thunderbolt 3 ports, and you can chain together external drives, for example and adapter a disply-port monitor to the end. But yeah, no hub for loads of USB C I’ve seen...
Yes you are correct. My bad on the name. And yes I have multiple usb devices connected to the back of my monitors. But what doesn't exist are multi-port thunderbolt hubs. I've got 4 on my MBP but I've run out. I'd like to add additional SSD external hard drives as redundant backups/extra storage but can't at this point. Maybe I just have too many devices! lol, never :)

Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA

Yes, but you will not get more TB3 connections, just slower usb connections.

Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
Oh haven't seen this yet! Nice. Gonna have to read up on it today. Haha, love how they state "(4) THUNDERBOLT (USB-C) + (1) USB-A". So basically USB-C and Thunderbolt are the same. I don't understand why there are not more of these out in the market place.
Ouch! Didn't plan on upgrading to Big Sir:
"The OWC Thunderbolt Hub works with any Mac with an available Thunderbolt 3 port running macOS 11.1 Big Sur"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I jumped in with TB3 three years ago and haven’t looked back. I have a 4 port MBP and on my main desk I have a dock with large monitor, card readers, speakers, wired 10GbE. NAS, and a couple of external HDD’s along with charging the MBP all take just one connection! I have an external SSD that I take away with me that plugs direct into the MBP or my iPad (that has USB-C/TB3 port), as do my travel card reader, GoPro, and DJI drone. The only device I now have that is not simply USB-C/TB3 is my phone.

But watch the cables, if you want the performance double check for the TB3 or TB4 icon.
Hmm...I may have learned something.

I knew about TB3 being faster and a different protocol, and that it had the same connector as USBC, but I had never heard that there were TB3 specific cables vs USBC cables....
I'll have to look into this.

Thanks for the info,
C

Upvote 0