Canon TS-E 50mm f/2.8L Macro Sample Images

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Ahead of their full review, Photography BLOG has posted a bunch of RAW and .JPG file samples from the brand new Canon TS-E 50mm f/2.8L Macro.</p>
<p class="fs16 OpenSans-600-normal upper product-highlights-header">PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS</p>

<ul class="top-section-list" data-selenium="highlightList">
<li class="top-section-list-item">EF-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Aperture Range: f/2.8 to f/32</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Two Ultra-Low Dispersion Elements</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">One Aspherical Element</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Air Sphere and Subwavelength Coatings</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Maximum Tilt: +/- 8.5°</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Maximum Shift: +/- 12mm</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Minimum Focusing Distance: 10.6″</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Maximum Magnification: 0.5x</li>
</ul>
<p><strong><a href="http://www.photographyblog.com/previews/canon_ts_e_50mm_f2_8_l_macro_photos">View the sample gallery</a></strong></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

SkynetTX said:
This supposed to be a (half) macro lens, right? So where are the MACRO samples? Insects, spiders, small flowers, or anything small?
I agree, they really didn't showcase a lot of the key situations a lens like this would be useful. It seems like they really focused on showcasing how a tilt shift can isolate a subject, and a little bit of perspective control for architecture. Product and macro photography samples would be useful too!

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2015
I have to agree with this. This pier would have been the ideal showcase of tilt used to make it sharp from front to back. But it has only been used for "see I have a tilt lens and I can use it to make pictures all blurry and crappy".
And the one closeup photo also does not seem to make any use of tilt (and having tilted surfaces in focus is the only reason to use a TS lens instead of a proper macro I can think of).

Upvote 0