Canon U.S.A. Announces Free Firmware And Application Software Upgrades For Select Cinema EOS System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=13233"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=13233">Tweet</a></div>
<p><b>MELVILLE, N.Y., April 3, 2013 </b>– Canon U.S.A., Inc. a leader in digital imaging solutions, announced today new firmware and application software upgrades for the Company’s Cinema EOS System lineup of cameras. New ACES compatibility software for the Cinema EOS C500 and Cinema EOS C500 PL Digital Cameras will be available as a free download expected in June 2013. Additional Cinema EOS firmware upgrades, including a new 1,440 x 1,080 pixel recording mode at 35Mbps for the Cinema EOS C300 and Cinema EOS C300 PL Digital Cameras, are expected to be available as free downloads starting in October 2013, all from the<a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/" target="_blank">www.usa.canon.com</a>.</p>
<p>In response to strong demand from professionals working in the fields of motion picture, commercial and television production, the firmware and application software upgrades will offer enhanced color management efficiency and camera functionality, contributing to improved video production workflow efficiency.</p>
<div><b>ACES Compatibility for Greater Production Workflow Efficiency (EOS C500/EOS C500 PL)</b></div>
<p>Cinema EOS C500 and Cinema EOS C500 PL camera users will be able to download a new version of Canon’s Cinema RAW Development Software for working with 4K RAW data. The new version provides support for the Academy Color Encoding System (ACES) color management standard, as defined by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) and standardized by the Society of Motion Picture & Television Engineers (SMPTE). Compatibility with ACES helps make efficient workflows possible, enabling color management using a uniform color space – even when handling video captured using multiple cameras with different color characteristics.</p>
<div><b>Automatic Functions (EOS C300) and New Recording Mode (EOS C300/EOS C300 PL)</b></div>
<p>A new firmware upgrade for the Cinema EOS C300 Digital Camera adds Push Auto Iris and One-Shot Autofocus (AF), two outstanding automatic functions incorporated in the Cinema EOS C100 Digital Camera (released in November 2012). These functions enable users to automatically adjust lens aperture and focusing through a simple one-touch operation, which can be particularly useful for cinematographers and videographers shooting without the support of an assistant.</p>
<p>In addition, a firmware upgrade for the Cinema EOS C300 and Cinema EOS C300 PL Digital Cameras adds a 1,440 x 1,080 pixel recording mode at 35Mbps, a resolution widely used in terrestrial digital television broadcasting. This new mode will expand the versatility of the XF codec and can be a useful addition for broadcast applications where the reduced bandwidth requires less transmission time while still maintaining a high level of image quality.</p>
<div><b>Shifting Display Location during Magnified Focus Assist (EOS C100, EOS C300/EOS C300 PL, EOS C500/EOS C500 PL)</b></div>
<p>Firmware upgrades for the EOS C500 and EOS C500 PL, EOS C300, EOS C300 PL, and EOS C100 Digital Camera models enable the Magnified Focus Assist function’s magnified view area within the viewfinder and LCD monitor to be shifted to locations other than the center of the screen, allowing users to confirm focus across the entire display area.</p>
<div><b>About ACES</b></div>
<p>Professionals in the cinema, television and other high-quality digital production industries commonly make use of multiple cameras when shooting video. As these cameras employ different sensors, each offers varying color characteristics. In addition, users can select from a diverse range of camera settings during image capture, such as aperture, focus position, frame rate and recording format, and because of this, images shot for a single scene can produce different results in terms of color and gradation, depending on the camera used.</p>
<p>Furthermore, when inputting, editing and outputting video, professionals may use various displays, each with its own color space, resulting in differences in how colors appear depending on the device used, even when viewing the same footage. For example, the viewfinder of a camera used during filming, the PC display used to edit the images, and the projector or television for viewing the video each offer varying color characteristics, causing the colors in the video to appear differently.</p>
<p>Therefore, color management takes a great deal of time and effort to correct for camera- and display monitor-related color differences.</p>
<p>ACES is a color management architecture developed by AMPAS, and standardized by SMPTE, that aims to improve efficiency among complex color management workflows by delivering uniform color expression through a standardized color space used during the video production workflow. Through compatibility with ACES, video captured using different cameras and settings can be aligned with the ACES color space, which offers a wide color range and high dynamic range. ACES provides an archive-ready file format, and also delivers high workflow efficiency by allowing users to confirm images with the same appearance even when using display devices with varying color characteristics during input and output.</p>

Re: Canon U.S.A. Announces Free Firmware And Application Software Upgrades For Select Cinema EOS Sys

LetTheRightLensIn said:
Hmm I figured they were holding off the 5D3 enhanced video firmware for NAB, but it seems not :(. Surely hope it didn't get lost along the way.

Great for the C-series users though.
they better get it together or its gonna be NIKON for me

Upvote 0

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
Horseshoe Bay, TX
Re: Canon U.S.A. Announces Free Firmware And Application Software Upgrades For Select Cinema EOS Sys

Well geez, I would hope that the firmware and application upgrades are free ... who else would have any use for them, other than customers who have already purchased these cameras?

Like the previous poster (the one who wasn't yelling in large typeface about jumping ship to Nikon), I hope they haven't forgotten about the 5DIII firmware update.

Upvote 0

JonAustin said:
Well geez, I would hope that the firmware and application upgrades are free ... who else would have any use for them, other than customers who have already purchased these cameras?

Like the previous poster (the one who wasn't yelling in large typeface about jumping ship to Nikon), I hope they haven't forgotten about the 5DIII firmware update.

It's weird they didn't give an update on it. They even made sure to mention that the 1DC firmware is still coming, even though delayed by a few weeks.

I'm sure they still have to be planning to release it though. It would be such bad press to back out on it. I can't imagine them doing that.

Upvote 0

adamfilip

Canadian with 5DM3
Jun 23, 2011
Ontario, Canada

Capnbooboo said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:
Hmm I figured they were holding off the 5D3 enhanced video firmware for NAB, but it seems not :(. Surely hope it didn't get lost along the way.

Great for the C-series users though.
they better get it together or its gonna be NIKON for me

Well if that didnt scare them, im not sure what will.. I bet they are shaking in there boots at the thought of you switching over.. ::)

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de

JonAustin said:

The reason for the delay probably is that implementing the blinking red af servo dots proves to be rather complicated (they barely managed on the 1dx) and they might try to include a fix for the af assist light bug - so it might take a while, my guess is "April" means re-announcement on April 30 and download availability a month later :->

But in conjunction with the other thread about the 35mm cine lens it is a pitty Canon seems to lack will or r&d resources for the old-school dslr market where people are stuck to their brand and seldom switch, no matter how large typefaces they use.

Upvote 0

no i think the reason for the delay is they want to promote their cropped C line, Canon seems to have a inbred mentality, its like they only want their own products to compete with each other and have on connection with the world any more, oh well, im very upset this time, gonna put a black duct tape on my camera

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de

Capnbooboo said:
Canon seems to have a inbred mentality, its like they only want their own products to compete with each other and have on connection with the world any more

Well, at last you were disproved once by the 6d release, Canon would never have released that w/o Nikon's d600 - but unfortunately for the rest of the lineup (lenses, flashes) you are correct.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de

Capnbooboo said:
so will there be a 5dmkiii update or will there be a class action law suite, because allot of people got this camera after hearing about the update, they could of got the D800 with full HD out

I'm sure there is some fine print in the announcement preventing this, or they have the option of releasing a fw with exactly the two announced features that are already accessible by 3rd party gear/software: clean hdmi out (already implemented by Magic Lantern) and f8 af (like with a Kenko tc).

Usually Canon only does a bigger update towards the mid-term to end of life to give it a refresh, for the 5d3 that probably will/would be sometime in the start 2014 and then the 5d4 would be released at the end of 2014...

Upvote 0

i am 99 percent certain this will hit the fan soon, the month is not over but the update was the main reason people got the camera, canon used false advertising on this part to fool the public into buying their 5d3 over competition like the black magic cinema camera or the GH3, low light or not the 5d3 firmware promise was false to milk the money from those skeptical about buying a 5d3 and now i doubt anyone has confidence, well april is not over, comes may im out of the canon world

Upvote 0
C

Canon-F1

Capnbooboo said:
i am 99 percent certain this will hit the fan soon, the month is not over but the update was the main reason people got the camera, canon used false advertising on this part to fool the public into buying their 5d3 over competition like the black magic cinema camera or the GH3, low light or not the 5d3 firmware promise was false to milk the money from those skeptical about buying a 5d3 and now i doubt anyone has confidence, well april is not over, comes may im out of the canon world

we all certainly hope so...

Upvote 0

marvinhello

Canon 1D C user
Feb 28, 2012
UK

Capnbooboo said:
what you mean by "We" and hope so, you want canon users to go to Nikon?

lol

from what i understood, Canon has no firmware update scheduled for the 5d3, why would they, they rather have a 5d4 to sell for more money

Andrew Wonder asked the Canon people at NAB a few hours ago and their response was that the new firmware for 5D3 is coming soon, by the end this month for sure.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA

Actually, in an interview posted now on canonwatch.com , Chuck Westphal mentions the 5diii firmware upgrade by the end of the month and specifically says it will include the focus update to f8. To paraphrase him, he says this if for the people who do still photography and who use lenses with TC's. So, it seems it is gonna be here!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.