Canon USA updates expected availability of the next allotment of Canon EOS R5 cameras

SHAMwow

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020
Wow, talk about first world 'problems'...

Nobody here can't take freaking great pictures with or without an R5, get over it, and yourselves.
I mean people buying these cameras are keeping people at their jobs for Canon. Two sides to every coin. Canon decided to release it. At $4,000 and years of long development cycles, I'd most people are within their rights to have a few gripes.

Canon can always come out and say what the issue is, why, how, etc. They really haven't.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

briangus

CR Pro
Apr 6, 2017
Bangkok
Or at the very least, won't take equally terrible ones with or without it. :D

I'd agree it's a first world problem, but it's still aggravating to have the delivery date of something you look forward to, repeatedly recede just as you get close to it. And this is a camera forum, so they're going to gripe here.

Look at it this way not one of these people is bitching about overheating and trying to figure out how to wreck their camera hacking it.

Certainly a first world problem as us third worldies are not even getting a sniff of either the R5 or R6.
We got a price last week for the R5/R6 but ask for a delivery date and you just get a smile.
I have spoken to a few dealers and they tell me the demand for the R5 is unprecedented, all having huge pre order lists.
Thankfully I don't really need either!

Upvote 0
At least you didn't say "devastating." In the meantime you can get an R or RP which will serve as a backup later. And you can use the lenses you don't have fror your R5 yet. Or do have?

I am amazed that somebody with no camera is waiting on an R5. Usually, for this level of camera madness, a photographer has at least one, sometimes several on the shelf. Very interesting. Did you sell another camera to help pay for this one? I could see that as frustrating.

Could you borrow from a friend? But something used? Wow, it might be MONTHS!

BTW, welcome to CR! :D

thanks!

I sold my blackmagic cinema camera because I want the hybrid solution Canon offering with the R5. I have RF glass already sitting on the shelf.

So I‘m not totally new, but did a system switch. So yeah, thats why I‘m a bit disapointed. So I just wait, would have been cool to get the camera on the date given by the seller. shouldn't be, right?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I mean people buying these cameras are keeping people at their jobs for Canon. Two sides to every coin. Canon decided to release it. At $4,000 and years of long development cycles, I'd most people are within their rights to have a few gripes.

Canon can always come out and say what the issue is, why, how, etc. They really haven't.
How is whingeing about not getting it fast enough helping anybody? It certainly isn't keeping anybody in a job!

People can gripe all they like, but I don't believe it hurts to point out how pathetic they sound given the reality billions of people are living with.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Ok, so I wait. Maybe the virus will be gone by the time it gets here! Sometimes I think if I have to see one more mask, I'm going to vomit in mine! Street photography was bad enough with so many people looking at their bloody smartphones. And now they're doing it with masks! AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are all allowed to get a little NUTS during quasi-lockdown (in the privacy of our own home keyboards). I just gave y'all permission. Have at it!
Yep we can all go nuts! But the faux taking it personally to conspiracy theory bullshit is insulting on so many levels.

I just got my first event booking since March! It is a music event being streamed live this Saturday, I wonder if I am going to remember how to cover it? Meanwhile I'm not going to bitch about the fact I haven't got my R5 yet even though I'd love the silent shutter etc etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
This is a travesty... I don’t get what actually happened with the release of the R5, but something did go horribly wrong .... absolute BS... I wouldn’t call it vapor ware, but I’m getting there ... reminds me of the release of some of the super tele primes some years back, I thought we were past that... guess not...
I was in contact with my retailer in Norway regarding my order placed early in August. I was number 95 in waiting line, and I should not expect delivery with their next shipment, which they hoped to take place in September.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
The worst part about this (for me) is I ordered my R5 and lenses all together from the same place and they are holding my money and the all of the other gear until the R5 is released, 10k is a lot of money to be storing in someone else bank.

Were you billed before it shipped or something?

Upvote 0

Big_Ant_TV_Media

Hey Fellow Canon Shooters
Oct 13, 2014
NYC
www.facebook.com
Wow. End of October. Makes me feel even more fortunate that I have had mine since August 3rd. Since I appear to be first on this thread I need some guidance. How/where do I submit a bug report to Canon about the R5? I've looked everywhere.
Meanwhile On Facebook and IG and other photog sites the complainers now have more ammo too be even more jealous of the actually R5/R6 Owner

Upvote 0

Big_Ant_TV_Media

Hey Fellow Canon Shooters
Oct 13, 2014
NYC
www.facebook.com
Ya can also blame all the “fake/wannabe pro and or so-called seasoned” photographers & so called bloggers for clogging up the r5/r6 preorder list on all the major and mid major sellers of the cameras
Batteries and grips are also at a premium and hard too find they had all this money to burn and wanted the next best small canon gear for IG and FB it’s all sorta like when new Jordan’s dealers come out and they are sold out in hours or days and the young folks go nuts trying too find them
(Other day I read a guy had his R5 stolen via fb R5 group post) it’s getting crazy about this camera
I got my R5 July 30th after being told by B&H sept 4th or so 1-2 days later I got a 24-70 rf lens and have Been content since align with my RF/EF adapter and other ef lenses i can use
So again it’s not just canons fault blame all the fake And wanna be so-called pro photogs And bloggers for clogging up the list every where also along with some being lazy and taking their sweet time hitting the web too preorder
Time and great new gear from canon waits for know-one (also depends on where you live eg: me I’m in nyc/jersey city area)

Upvote 0
I sold mine camera to afford the R5 not thinking Canon would do this. My mistake, the next time I'll probably wait a little longer.

My complaint is that Canon gave the impression they had the R5 ready to send out. The excuses of covid-19 does not work, covid-19 pandemic had/has been going on months before this announcement. The excuse that the R5 exceeded our expectations is another poor excuse. As far as I have been hearing relatively few have been sent out. In my opinion the R5 has it's problems and Canon would rather use these excuses then admit they're failures. I would rather hear Canon say we are sorry for the delay we want to have this camera ready before we send anymore out. End of story!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
I sold mine camera to afford the R5 not thinking Canon would do this. My mistake, the next time I'll probably wait a little longer.

My complaint is that Canon gave the impression they had the R5 ready to send out. The excuses of covid-19 does not work, covid-19 pandemic had/has been going on months before this announcement. The excuse that the R5 exceeded our expectations is another poor excuse. As far as I have been hearing relatively few have been sent out. In my opinion the R5 has it's problems and Canon would rather use these excuses then admit they're failures. I would rather hear Canon say we are sorry for the delay we want to have this camera ready before we send anymore out. End of story!
End of story? Maybe in your emotional ego driven thinking. Until anyone offers proof that delays are due to anything but demand and supply chain, these conspiracy theories are useless.

Yes, not planning for unseen circumstances is unforgivable. I mean, it is fine that you personally didn't plan on the unknown and sold your camera, but not ok for Canon to have unexpected delays right? They must be made accountable, but not you. They should be held to the fire for not planning on unknown supply chain issues in a pandemic and they should always have perfect prediction of demand. When Canon has an issue it is a failure they are hiding, but when you do something blatant to cause yourself an issue, blame Canon?

Nice how you call a pandemic not a good enough excuse. What would be good enough? Have you never heard of demand on any other product, seriously? There have been plenty of things that people have to wait to get when unexpected demand or supply issues happened. Your complaint seems a bit self centered and naive. Hard drives, game consoles, TVs, cars, the list goes on and on of things that have had long delays before due to all sorts of issues from tsunamis to weather to market forces. Even if Canon is fixing some problem in quality with the R5, saying so would not get the cameras out faster and would only inflame the internet trolls to even louder heights.

Anyway I guess I will go shoot with my 5D4.... since Canon is doomed I better enjoy it until the internet tells me it is worthless.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0