Canon USA updates expected availability of the next allotment of Canon EOS R5 cameras

nebugeater

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2011
There are supply chain issues everywhere for many things. I know it is not a camera but I ordered a Whirlpool brand refrigerator on June 6. It is a normal fridge in white so no big specialty item. The delivery date was first stated to be Jun 19, then June 30, Then July 27, then July 30 and now it is October 3. We will see if that holds. Right now I would not blame the camera delays on Canons' poor planning. It is a reality in many places.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
At least you didn't say "devastating." In the meantime you can get an R or RP which will serve as a backup later. And you can use the lenses you don't have for your R5 yet. Or do have?

I am amazed that somebody with no camera is waiting on an R5. Usually, for this level of camera madness, a photographer has at least one, sometimes several on the shelf. Very interesting. Did you sell another camera to help pay for this one? I could see that as frustrating.

Could you borrow from a friend? Buy something used? Wow, it might be MONTHS!

BTW, welcome to CR! :D
As for me I sold my 5d4 back in January for a good price to get ready with R5 at summer. I cancelled my preorder which in my country I was the first one to get the R5. Until at least to see some tests regarding video capabilities. So all this time Im left with a 6D and I felt already a huge step back from 5d4 already. So Im thinking now if I place an order again... when its going to ship? Probably at the beginning of 2021... :(

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
As for me I sold my 5d4 back in January for a good price to get ready with R5 at summer. I cancelled my preorder which in my country I was the first one to get the R5. Until at least to see some tests regarding video capabilities. So all this time Im left with a 6D and I felt already a huge step back from 5d4 already. So Im thinking now if I place an order again... when its going to ship? Probably at the beginning of 2021... :(

Just get another used 5d4 and resell that at almost no loss (likely) in a few months. Or get an EOS R, which has the same image quality as the 5d4.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
It is hard to fathom the whining and crying about the delay in getting a camera. Even harder to fathom that people don't understand why - or blame Canon for...what exactly?

There is a global pandemic going on. It did not (as many would want you to believe) go away, or disappear. It has affected all businesses and manufacturers. If you are whining, I have to ask, "Are you really so stupid?" If you think not getting a camera in a more timely manner is anything more than a VERY MINOR ANNOYANCE, I have to ask, "Don't you have any perspective about what is important?"

Anybody complaining about a delay in getting a camera during these times should be embarrassed. And apologize to those who are really suffering.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
But..but...but...you can take them s-o-o-o-o much faster at 20 fps with an R5!!! :ROFLMAO:

Well, as long as we're all being silly: Just get rid of your R5 when the high-res one comes out. And get rid of everything but a superwide prime.

Want to sex the housefly 100 yards away in the photo you took with the 10mm f/1.0 that is now the only lens you own (and a good thing, too, because it's the size of a wastebasket)? Crop it down! Then you can blow the picture of the fly up and post it on a billboard.

Upvote 0
End of story? Maybe in your emotional ego driven thinking. Until anyone offers proof that delays are due to anything but demand and supply chain, these conspiracy theories are useless.

Yes, not planning for unseen circumstances is unforgivable. I mean, it is fine that you personally didn't plan on the unknown and sold your camera, but not ok for Canon to have unexpected delays right? They must be made accountable, but not you. They should be held to the fire for not planning on unknown supply chain issues in a pandemic and they should always have perfect prediction of demand. When Canon has an issue it is a failure they are hiding, but when you do something blatant to cause yourself an issue, blame Canon?

Nice how you call a pandemic not a good enough excuse. What would be good enough? Have you never heard of demand on any other product, seriously? There have been plenty of things that people have to wait to get when unexpected demand or supply issues happened. Your complaint seems a bit self centered and naive. Hard drives, game consoles, TVs, cars, the list goes on and on of things that have had long delays before due to all sorts of issues from tsunamis to weather to market forces. Even if Canon is fixing some problem in quality with the R5, saying so would not get the cameras out faster and would only inflame the internet trolls to even louder heights.

Anyway I guess I will go shoot with my 5D4.... since Canon is doomed I better enjoy it until the internet tells me it is worthless.
You completely missed the point! If I needed a camera that bad I would go buy one. I was pointing the poor communication on Canon's part. But thanks for the long drawn out reply. What was your reason for reading my post? Umm!

Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Manny is one of the best fashion photographers out there
Seriously?

Whilst I agree the list of positive YouTube R5 videos has gone up massively since people started posting positive photography orientated reviews rather than ego centric video orientated reviews, I can’t agree with your assessment of his talent and skill levels.

This kind of situation shouldn’t phase a second year photography student let alone a leader at the top of his game.

Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
Seriously?

Whilst I agree the list of positive YouTube R5 videos has gone up massively since people started posting positive photography orientated reviews rather than ego centric video orientated reviews, I can’t agree with your assessment of his talent and skill levels.

This kind of situation shouldn’t phase a second year photography student let alone a leader at the top of his game.

Manny is a fantastic photographer often flown by Sony to their launch events etc with 450K + followers on his YouTube channel he must be doing something right. There are dozens of better videos in his collection than that one, which was only demonstrating basic studio photography from a home.

Jason Lanier was my favourite fashion photographer until recently however some really bad press kind of put me off watching his channel so much these days, but you can’t take away his undoubted talent in fashion photography, if only he could just stick with purely photographing the girls, instead of …

Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
Ya can also blame all the “fake/wannabe pro and or so-called seasoned” photographers & so called bloggers for clogging up the r5/r6 preorder list on all the major and mid major sellers of the cameras

As a fake wannabe who got his R5 on day one and hasn’t earned a penny with it, and let’s it sit idle more days than not, all I can wonder is what kind of genius professional didn’t know months in advance the time and day orders would open and place an order in the first few minutes like I did.
No sympathy. It’s not that hard.

Upvote 0
This is a travesty... I don’t get what actually happened with the release of the R5, but something did go horribly wrong .... absolute BS... I wouldn’t call it vapor ware, but I’m getting there ... reminds me of the release of some of the super tele primes some years back, I thought we were past that... guess not...

LOL!!

Sure it is.

travesty.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
There are supply chain issues everywhere for many things. I know it is not a camera but I ordered a Whirlpool brand refrigerator on June 6. It is a normal fridge in white so no big specialty item. The delivery date was first stated to be Jun 19, then June 30, Then July 27, then July 30 and now it is October 3. We will see if that holds. Right now I would not blame the camera delays on Canons' poor planning. It is a reality in many places.
Whirlpool?
Is it full-frame?
What's the DR on that one ? :)

Upvote 0
I sold mine camera to afford the R5 not thinking Canon would do this. My mistake, the next time I'll probably wait a little longer.

My complaint is that Canon gave the impression they had the R5 ready to send out. The excuses of covid-19 does not work, covid-19 pandemic had/has been going on months before this announcement. The excuse that the R5 exceeded our expectations is another poor excuse. As far as I have been hearing relatively few have been sent out. In my opinion the R5 has it's problems and Canon would rather use these excuses then admit they're failures. I would rather hear Canon say we are sorry for the delay we want to have this camera ready before we send anymore out. End of story!

But that excuse could have started way down the chain of suppliers.

• Haha
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
As a fake wannabe who got his R5 on day one and hasn’t earned a penny with it, and let’s it sit idle more days than not, all I can wonder is what kind of genius professional didn’t know months in advance the time and day orders would open and place an order in the first few minutes like I did.
No sympathy. It’s not that hard.

I've done about as much with mine as you have, and am probably at your level ability wise.

I walked into a brick and mortar June 18 and put down a thousand bucks. I got the first R5. Another guy who paid cash got the second one. He probably got to take pictures before I did as I owned no LP6-type batteries and had to charge the one in the box first.

Upvote 0
Just get another used 5d4 and resell that at almost no loss (likely) in a few months. Or get an EOS R, which has the same image quality as the 5d4.
Agreed. I bought a 5Div second hand to upgrade from 5Diii last year for AUD2k and just sold it for AUD2050 so I made a profit!
Grateful that I got a R5 in the first batch. More fun on the weekend to take it underwater and check the weather sealing :)

Upvote 0