Canon USA updates expected availability of the next allotment of Canon EOS R5 cameras

For the $4000 you're spending on an unavailable camera you could buy a 5D4 AND a 6D2 brand new.

For a 'professional' that can't pay his rent it seems like the R5 is a 'want' and not a 'need.'
Why would I buy the same three year old camera I already own instead of new technology that will make my job easier every day? and "pay my rent" is a phrase that means "work". Can you do your job without a computer - or if your a ditch digger a shovel? If your a painter you don't buy garbage brushes. Get a clue hobbyist.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Why would I buy the same three year old camera I already own instead of new technology that will make my job easier every day? and "pay my rent" is a phrase that means "work". Can you do your job without a computer - or if your a ditch digger a shovel? If your a painter you don't buy garbage brushes. Get a clue hobbyist.

Fair enough. Did you just call the 5D4 "a garbage brush"? :D

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Because you are a working professional with no backup you are "having problems" with your primary and you can't actually buy the "new technology that will make my job easier" today.

If a painter turned up on my door to work with a single troublesome brush I'd tell them to piss off.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I was in contact with my retailer in Norway regarding my order placed early in August. I was number 95 in waiting line, and I should not expect delivery with their next shipment, which they hoped to take place in September.
It’s crazy... 95? Wow, I would’ve thought maybe 35...

foto.no, Scandinavian photo, Japanphoto, Stjørdal etc all told me end of October or “within” the year. It must be the biggest success ever for Canon if they can push them out before people are looking elsewhere.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Did you get many complaints about your work with the old camera? Do you feel the only way to compete, to keep paying your rent, is to have the newest tech?

Do you imagine that with a camera better than the 5DIV your work will suddenly be so far above that of other photographers in your area that you will be in high demand? But what happens when they too get a better camera--one as good as yours or even a little better? Tough cycle to keep up with!

Personally, I've found that most good pro-photographers have a pretty high level of craft, and what distinguishes one from another, and what is most important in determining financial success is....wait for it...PEOPLE SKILLS.

EDIT: Full disclosure here. I took a lot of good shots, maybe even a few great portraits, with my 5DIV. Loved it! But once I tried the R and saw the in-focus keeper rate with even f/1.2, and saw how easy it made avoiding dumb exposure errors, I was hooked. So, yes, the R just made my job easier. In fact, just recently, I started finally using the eye AF for portraits! Wow! Now my composition has begun to improve significantly too! I just let the camera keep the eye in focus, and I don't have to be jerking the camera trying to move the AF point or move the body itself. So, I see where you are coming from in WANTING something better--because it helps a lot. But there are alternatives. I think an R is a fine second body to have with the R5, but time will tell. The R does make life much easier! BUT IT DOESN'T PRODUCE NOTICEABLY BETTER IMAGES THAN A 5DIV USED CORRECTLY. And of course it has some weaknesses with fast action.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Canon is playing with fire here. The longer they wait, the more of a chance there is Sony issues a firmware upgrade adding Animal eye af that works (that’s a major reason many Sony A7r4 etc owners are also buying r5) and all of the sudden a sizable portion of r5 preorders will magically get cancelled.

If they do, a lot of people will jump ship. I haven't invested in RF glass yet so if there's another delay...

• Haha
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017

I have a clue.

Before I publicly claim that my business was going to die if I couldn’t get my hands on an R5 then blame Canon, I would make alternate choices to keep my business moving ahead until the camera I supposedly had to have to survive became readily available.

I wouldn’t put everything on hold and cry about “broken gear” until the latest “new tech” came floating down the river.

If I needed to survive and “pay my rent” I would choose from the perfectly good gear that had been sustaining me prior to the time the R5 was created and then resell it later.

Then again, maybe you’re just whining. Pretty common these days.

If I needed a computer for my job I’d buy what was available and get it done. I wouldn’t wait for the next generation of CPU to be designed and delivered.

If I needed a shovel, I’d buy the one that would do the job. I wouldn’t complain that <insert DIY shop here> didn’t have the one with the “red handle...”

Get a clue, “professional........”

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Canon is playing with fire here. The longer they wait, the more of a chance there is Sony issues a firmware upgrade adding Animal eye af that works (that’s a major reason many Sony A7r4 etc owners are also buying r5) and all of the sudden a sizable portion of r5 preorders will magically get cancelled.

Most R5 pre-owners are swimming in glass and own other Canon bodies. The delay isn’t more than an inconvenience.

If they cancel their pre-orders I’ll be surprised and also send them a thank you note. I’ll get mine that much faster..

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Personally, I've found that most good pro-photographers have a pretty high level of craft, and what distinguishes one from another, and what is most important in determining financial success is....wait for it...PEOPLE SKILLS.

Yes, and they usually know what to do when their gear breaks, and that usually doesn’t include banking on a pre-order.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
To suggest the only real difference between the A7r IV and the R5 is animal AF is farcical. Look at the responsiveness, the fps, the Sony RAW bit depth limitations, the buffer, the write to card lockup, the Sony is a great tool for some photographers, but it has severe functionality compromises to get that mp.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I think you're mistaken, Canon clearly said that they only omit features because that's what their customers expect at that price level...
How would (non-evaluative) metering locked to AF point in practice work for a camera with such an AF system? Wouldn't one want to place the AF point on a relatively high-contrast area, making spot metering unreliable?

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
To suggest the only real difference between the A7r IV and the R5 is animal AF is farcical. Look at the responsiveness, the fps, the Sony RAW bit depth limitations, the buffer, the write to card lockup, the Sony is a great tool for some photographers, but it has severe functionality compromises to get that mp.
Add the much better Canon IBIS, RF glass, video features (30p 4K for the Sony vs up to 120p 4K for the Canon, not to mention 8K) to that. Those won't get added to the Sony by firmware upgrades. But they may see further enhancements (The upcoming codec and compression options, for example) on the Canon side, as that is a very new body still.

Upvote 0

rightslot

Canon R5 ++
Aug 22, 2018
Hey! Regarding the R5 this photo is scary and disturbing at the same time. Man!! The mere thought that THOUSANDS of cameras could topple over and sink to the bottom of the ocean is unsettling when you really think of it. The same way a middle school kid feels after watching the horror clown movie "IT"

Upvote 0