Canon will announce more lenses at one time than ever before in the 2nd half of 2021 [CR2]

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
I have been looking for a fisheye/very wide angle lens for my Canon R5. Currently I have a Samyang manual focus fisheye 12mm and the Canon RF 15-35mm f/2,8.
In order to make very wide angle pictures, if needed I guess the only solution available today is to buy the "old" but still great EF 8-15mm f/4. I do not think that Canon, Laowa or Sigma will make any AF winder than 10mm for the R5 soon.
Do you agree?

Upvote 0
I have been looking for a fisheye/very wide angle lens for my Canon R5. Currently I have a Samyang manual focus fisheye 12mm and the Canon RF 15-35mm f/2,8.
In order to make very wide angle pictures, if needed I guess the only solution available today is to buy the "old" but still great EF 8-15mm f/4. I do not think that Canon, Laowa or Sigma will make any AF winder than 10mm for the R5 soon.
Do you agree?
What's wrong with adapting the EF11-24/4 or the EF8-15mm. Both great lenses and the adapter can be the ND/CPL rather than using rear gels if that is your genre. Weld the adapter in place and voila you have a RF lens.
Any new RF lens in that focal range is going to be expensive. Virtually every RF lens has brought something new to the table rather than just replicate an existing EF lens+adapter - bar the RF24-105/4. Most of the reviewers discount the R mount system as not having a reasonable range of lenses but conveniently overlook the existing EF/EF-S lenses

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
So what announcement in the past has had the most number of lenses in it?
Not sure why Canon would do it all at one time. Great to make a statement but let marketing have some exposure over a period of time IMHO

One lens not on the list is a pancake eg 40mm. An adapted EF adds a lot of cost and doubles the EF size whereas a RF version should be cheap and small

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Do you agree?
I imagine the fish-eye is one of their lowest volume lenses so it might not be high on the priority list. I would only see it coming sooner if they could make it a statement lens with something new or extraordinary (faster aperture)?

In the meantime, my existing EF 8-15 and EF 11-24 seem to do quite well on my R6 along with my existing D bodies. Not sure I will have too much incentive to upgrade. If I didn't have one already, I might be waiting to see what Canon offers.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0