Canon will release RF versions of the 300mm f/2.8 and 500mm f/4 in early 2022 [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
As you may already know, Canon plans to officially announce the RF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM and RF 600mm f/4L IS USM likely later this month. These are the first of many professional super-telephoto prime lenses for the RF mount.
The EF versions of the 400mm f/2.8 and 600mm f/4 were updated in September of 2018 to bring them to version 3.  Both the EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM and EF 500mm f/4L IS were last updated in 2011.
I have been told that the RF versions of the latter lenses will come in early 2022 and that the new RF 500mm f/4L IS USM will be extremely light and much shorter than the current version. The 300mm is a bit more interesting, according to my source, Canon may actually release the RF mount version of the 300 f/2.8 as a zoom. Though there is reportedly a prime version also in development. I apologize for the confusion about the...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
When talk about one of the great whites turns to it getting much shorter and lighter, one starts to think diffractive optics.
There was an interview a while back where someone from Canon basically said that DO was a major part of the future of lens design, and that it would be included in many RF lenses. They will not be green banding them anymore - DO is just a normal part of many designs now.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

There was an interview a while back where someone from Canon basically said that DO was a major part of the future of lens design, and that it would be included in many RF lenses. They will not be green banding them anymore - DO is just a normal part of many designs now.

Aye DO is just a standard part of the lens now. And that green band somehow made the product feel 'lesser' than if it had a red ring. Canon's DO and Nikon's PF is how these companies are going to really push super-tele lenses for mirrorless. But it looks like we are going for tried and proven first for the staple lenses.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
I actually do not mind the weight of the EF 500 f/4 II that I own. Even saving 1-2 pounds would not be enough for me to upgrade as it is already such an amazing lens.

But shorter? ...and lighter? I'll wait for the IQ comparisons as I am not willing to compromise, but yeah, packing the 500 f/4 II can be a challenge. Heck, I own the Mindshift 40L just for that purpose.

A 100-300 f/2.8 L might be a pre-order for me.

Still haven't bought an RF lens. The EF lenses work fantastic on the R5, but those are two that could tempt me.

Upvote 0

eosbob

Motorsports Photographer
Why are people talking about zooms in a thread about primes to be released next spring? Jeez... start another thread.
Did you not read the full article? This is why people are talking about zooms: "The 300mm is a bit more interesting, according to my source, Canon may actually release the RF mount version of the 300 f/2.8 as a zoom."

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
I've been going back and forth about the 600mm. Although I'd really love a brighter lens, I'm not carrying a tripod, and I doubt that I'd enjoy shooting that beast handheld.

Now, if a smaller, lighter 500mm f/4 is in the works, I might go for that one instead despite giving up 100mm. I have and love the 500mm f/5.6 pf, but an extra stop of brightness might be enough to induce be to let go of the Nikon.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Did you not read the full article? This is why people are talking about zooms: "The 300mm is a bit more interesting, according to my source, Canon may actually release the RF mount version of the 300 f/2.8 as a zoom."
Yeah, well, it won’t be a Sigma and won’t be a 28-300mm super zoom. Not gonna happen. Especially not as an “L”. Let’s keep it real.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When talk about one of the great whites turns to it getting much shorter and lighter, one starts to think diffractive optics.
Yes, I don't know how else you get a fixed length prime to be "much shorter" than the existing item (and I hope/assume a mirror is definitely out of the question).

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Exciting times in which we live. I always enjoyed the 500 mm f4 as a lightweight alternative to the 600 mm f4 (based on equivalent design). The 500 mm f4 v2 is ~1.5 lbs lighter than 600 mm f4 v2. The 600 mm f4 III weighs in at 6.72 lbs so I am hopeful that the RF 500 mm f4 will weigh 5-5.25 lbs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Aye DO is just a standard part of the lens now. And that green band somehow made the product feel 'lesser' than if it had a red ring. Canon's DO and Nikon's PF is how these companies are going to really push super-tele lenses for mirrorless. But it looks like we are going for tried and proven first for the staple lenses.
Get used to it, green is the new red!;)

Upvote 0
Yeah, well, it won’t be a Sigma and won’t be a 28-300mm super zoom. Not gonna happen. Especially not as an “L”. Let’s keep it real.
So, what range of 300 f/2.8 incorporated into a zoom do you see it being then (assuming that part of the rumour might be real)?

Personally, the 35-350L was the first white Canon lens I bought (a long time ago), and while its quality is passed by any white prime and almost any shorter range zoom too, it wasn't useless, and is a great safari lens when you don't know what range you need and can't change lenses easily due to dust and bouncing in the back of a landrover :) Given the direction of some recent lenses, I wouldn't rule a super zoom out (though not at a fixed 2.8 aperture, mind you).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0