Canon Will Sell You Their 120mp APS-H Image Sensor

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>Are you building your own camera and need more megapixels? You can <a href="https://www.phase1vision.com/sensors/canon-sensors/area-scan-sensors/120-megapixel-cmos">buy Canon’s 120mp APS-H sensor</a>. The sensor is available in color and monochrome. Hat tip to <a href="https://www.phase1vision.com/sensors/canon-sensors/area-scan-sensors/120-megapixel-cmos">Northlight Images</a>.</p>
<p class="title2"><strong>Ultra-High Resolution CMOS Sensor</strong></p>
<p>The 120MXS is an ultra-high resolution CMOS sensor with 13280 x 9184 effective pixels (approx. 60x the resolution of Full HD). It has a size equivalent to APS-H (29.22mm x 20.20mm), and a square pixel arrangement of 2.2µm x 2.2µm with 122 million effective pixels. Ultra-high-resolution is made possible by parallel signal processing, which reads signals at high speed from multiple pixels. All pixel progressive reading of 9.4 fps is made possible by 28 digital signal output channels. It is available in RGB or with twice the sensitivity, in monochrome.</p>
<p><!--more--></p>
<p><strong>TECHNICAL INFORMATION:</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>Sensor size: APS-H (29.22mm x 20.20mm)</li>
<li>Filter types:

120MXSC: RGB

120MXSM: Monochrome</li>
<li>Number of effective pixels: 13280h x 9184v, approx. 122MP</li>
<li>Pixel size: 2.2µm x 2.2µm</li>
<li>Progressive Scan</li>
<li>Rolling Shutter</li>
<li>188pin ceramic PGA</li>
<li>Sensitivity:

120MXSC (Green): 10,000e/lux/sec

120MXSM: 20,000e/lux/sec</li>
<li>Saturation: 10,000e @ gain0.5x</li>
<li>Output Channels: Data 28 lanes, Clock 14 lanes</li>
<li>Dark Random Noise: 2.3e rms @ gain x8, Room Temp.</li>
<li>Dark Current: 8.1e/sec @ gain x8, 60°C</li>
<li>Number of output channels: Data 28 lanes, Clock 14 lanes</li>
<li>Main clock frequency: 45MHz (Recommended)</li>
<li>Output format: 720Mbps in LVDS output 9.4fps @ 10 bit</li>
<li>Built in column amplifier (Pre-amplifier gain mode: x0.5, x1, x2, x4, x8)</li>
<li>Serial communication</li>
<li>All pixel progressive scan reading function, Region of Interest (ROI) reading function (Vertically)</li>
<li>Vertically intermittent reading function (1/1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/5, 1/7, 1/15)</li>
<li>Power consumption: 2.5W (under recommended operating conditions)</li>
<li>Power supply voltage: 1.7 V, 3.5 V</li>
<li>Package size: 55.0mm x 47.8mm x 4.49mm</li>
</ul>
<p><strong><a href="https://www.phase1vision.com/sensors/canon-sensors/area-scan-sensors/120-megapixel-cmos">Check out the Canon 120mp APS-H at P1</a></strong></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

takesome1 said:
Price?
Anyone request the quote?

===

At one time, Teledyne Dalsa was selling a similar resolution a bit larger than the APS-H size at about $35,000 US (27 000 Euros) but that was over 10 years ago.

These days with a solid order, you should be able to bring it down to about $5000 US to $7000 US per sensor with FULL quality control and NO dead pixels on the sensors. Fo larger production runs, we have gotten quotes from Global Foundries who usually makes AMD's CPU/GPU chips and got a quote for about $800 per chip at quantities greater than 100,000 sensors with full quality control ...IF... we had our own IP rights and didn't need to pay royalty payments to others.

Of course production costs drop significantly if you're into the millions of sensors for a production run. At such high resolutions as 120 mgeapixels, you are paying more for quality control than actual production costs. An iPhone camera sensor can be as cheap as $5 (yes FIVE dollars!) US per chip for something like the Sony cell phone chips so costs are not too much!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
HarryFilm said:
takesome1 said:
Price?
Anyone request the quote?

===

At one time, Teledyne Dalsa was selling a similar resolution a bit larger than the APS-H size at about $35,000 US (27 000 Euros) but that was over 10 years ago.

These days with a solid order, you should be able to bring it down to about $5000 US to $7000 US per sensor with FULL quality control and NO dead pixels on the sensors. Fo larger production runs, we have gotten quotes from Global Foundries who usually makes AMD's CPU/GPU chips and got a quote for about $800 per chip at quantities greater than 100,000 sensors with full quality control ...IF... we had our own IP rights and didn't need to pay royalty payments to others.

Of course production costs drop significantly if you're into the millions of sensors for a production run. At such high resolutions as 120 mgeapixels, you are paying more for quality control than actual production costs. An iPhone camera sensor can be as cheap as $5 (yes FIVE dollars!) US per chip for something like the Sony cell phone chips so costs are not too much!

Somehow, Harry, nothing you say seems genuine. You could say, "The sky is blue and water is wet."... I'd have trouble believing you even then.

Upvote 0
pwp said:
Darn! I knew I shouldn't have sold my 1D MkIV, the last APS-H body Canon made. ;)
On reflection, it was such a great camera in its day, and I remain a determined fan of the APS-H x1.3 crop sensor.

-pw

I still have mine. Maybe someone can modify it.

I have a suspicion that with the 1D MkIV's processing power it might only take one fps, maybe two.

Upvote 0
takesome1 said:
pwp said:
Darn! I knew I shouldn't have sold my 1D MkIV, the last APS-H body Canon made. ;)
On reflection, it was such a great camera in its day, and I remain a determined fan of the APS-H x1.3 crop sensor.

-pw

I have a suspicion that with the 1D MkIV's processing power it might only take one fps, maybe two.

That's pretty optimistic. I remember when Canon demoed this sensor in a 5DS body using the stock 5DS circuitry - dual DIGIC 6 processors, quite a step up from the 1D IV's dual DIGIC 4 processors. Even with dual DIGIC 6 cores, it took 20 seconds to process an image at base ISO.

Naturally that was a cobbled together solution for demonstration purposes, but I'd expect that a production ready version would only be capable of 3-4 FPS with dual DIGIC 8+ processors. Even that might be pushing the envelope if they upscaled this to full-frame.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Canoneer said:
takesome1 said:
pwp said:

-pw

That's pretty optimistic. I remember when Canon demoed this sensor in a 5DS body using the stock 5DS circuitry - dual DIGIC 6 processors, quite a step up from the 1D IV's dual DIGIC 4 processors. Even with dual DIGIC 6 cores, it took 20 seconds to process an image at base ISO.

Naturally that was a cobbled together solution for demonstration purposes, but I'd expect that a production ready version would only be capable of 3-4 FPS with dual DIGIC 8+ processors. Even that might be pushing the envelope if they upscaled this to full-frame.

I'll put a nice i7 processor in the camera. Now how to carry the car battery...

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I wonder who the potential buyers would be? Astronomy cameras? Medical, Machine Vision, Surveillance? I expect that customers fall into the industrial area.
Sales quotes probably need a order of 2.000 - 10,000 pieces minimum. These are not something that is stocked in a bin, except perhaps for a few pieces for developmental usage.
Since no one else has a similar product, expect a price well over $1K in quantities of over 1,000.

Upvote 0
ethanz said:
I'll put a nice i7 processor in the camera. Now how to carry the car battery...

Might be safer to opt for an i9-7900X Skylake 10-core. And maybe throw in an Nvidia GTX 1080 TI graphics card to handle the RAW buffer throughput and storage. With liquid cooling of course. I'm sure it would be considered a portable camera circa 1880 - 1890 era.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
takesome1 said:
Is there no one with the nerve to request a price quote?
They are looking to sell to a real customer. Supply your D&B number and they will confirm that you are capable of $1M purchases and have the Engineering staff to use the sensor.
The company I worked for had salesmen scouring the world for customers, but one day, a guy walked in and asked to buy our product. In today's dollars that would be $500 million each. No one believed he was serious, that couldn't happen, but it was real and he had the money and bought the product.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Mt Spokane Photography said:
takesome1 said:
Is there no one with the nerve to request a price quote?
They are looking to sell to a real customer. Supply your D&B number and they will confirm that you are capable of $1M purchases and have the Engineering staff to use the sensor.
The company I worked for had salesmen scouring the world for customers, but one day, a guy walked in and asked to buy our product. In today's dollars that would be $500 million each. No one believed he was serious, that couldn't happen, but it was real and he had the money and bought the product.

We need H.F. ;)

Upvote 0