Canon’s roadmap includes 32 new lenses by 2026 according to Canon’s CEO

There is no evidence in there to support your conclusion that an RF replacement for the EF 28-300L will be among those lenses. You seem to believe that Canon will replicate the entire EF lens catalog in the RF mount, but there is no basis to believe that...and ample evidence that Canon is coming out with new lenses in RF mount (e.g. 28-70/2, 5.2mm dual fisheye) that we're not ever in the Ef lineup.

2/3rds of the 30 RF lenses released thus far are direct or improved upon replacements of the last EF lenses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Over 90% of the 30+ RF lenses released thus far are direct or improved upon replacements of the last EF L lenses.
I suppose it depends on what you consider direct/improved, but I believe that <75% of the 30 RF lenses released thus far are direct replacements or improved versions of EF lenses. (I presume you are not talking about just EF L lenses, because there are only 17 RF L lenses.)

The 5.2mm dual fisheye, the 28-70/2, the 600/11 and 800/11 I'd call 'new'. The 15-30 is the first ever non-L FF UWA zoom, the 100-400 non-L may be a substitute for the 70-300 non-L but it's a significant non-overlap. The 16/2.8 is also 'new' (I would not consider it an 'improved' version of the elderly 20/2.8). That's 7 lenses out of the 30. It's not 30+, by the way, it's 30 and that includes the two extenders and the two RF-S lenses...and if you're going to include the RF-S lenses in the denominator then the RF-S 18-45 is neither a direct replacement of nor an improvement on the EF-S/M APS-C kit lenses, it is the opposite of an improvement given that it combines the most limiting focal lengths of the 15-45/18-55 ranges). So, that's 8 out of 30 lenses that are not direct replacements or improvements of EF (and EF-S/EF-M) lenses, meaning <75%.

If that ratio holds, there are quite a few legacy EF lenses that will not see an RF version. Personally, I expect the 28-300L to be one of those that isn't replaced. Time will tell.

Upvote 0
Something to consider as to why Canon was very slow in releasing 30 lenses over 5 years at an average rate of 6 lens SKUs annually.

~80% of these lenses have such a high volume that production capacity cannot keep up especially with supply contraints caused by COVID & the Ukranian-Russian war.

Canon CEO commited to a 8 lens SKU annual release for the next 4 years because the lens coming out in the future will not be that highly demand even when Canon photo forum members tend to make it seem that the missing focal length they desire appears to have millions of users waiting for them

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Canon desperately needs a solid prime lens lineup in L glass. Currently they have a massive gap at the wide end. The 50mm f1.2, 85mm f1.2 and 100mm f2.8 IS Macro are the only L primes available. Where is the 14, 24, and 35?
So true! Let’s get som fast primes for astro (14mm and 24mm or 28mm) and maybe add a 14-22mm fast wide angle with minimal aberration for astro - Canon really lack behind the competition in this field. And no IR leak from RF lenses please…

Upvote 0

AutoMatters

EOS R3
Dec 3, 2021
I have some news for you Jan.

Today BHPhoto has sold its last Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM & declared it as discontinued.

Prior to this they have declared these other 28-300mm as "No Longer Available"

- Nikon
- Sigma
- Tamron

Sony's 12yo E mount that has the largest mirrorlless lens lineup does not have that lens. The closest being the 24-240mm just like Canon.

Before 2030 I am certain that Canon will create a RF L lens equivalent of it.
Dolina,
I hope that you are right.
Currently I mostly use the 24-240 RF. One failed after a year and Canon replaced it under warranty.
Sorry for my very delayed response. I never received notification of your reply. I just stumbled upon it now.
Jan

Upvote 0