Carnivores in the Wild

Please post your photos of carnivores taken in the wild. Mine are usually from zoos, but I recently had a great time following a bobcat in Yosemite. He was not timid, nor was he aggressive, he was in fact completely unconcerned with people. My cousin (also a photographer) and I followed him for almost an hour.

Photo was edited to remove a couple hikers from the background and add a little more sky on top.

5D3 with 70-200 (at 70) 2_8 L non IS (set to f4).

Attachments

• master9 sky.jpg
    master9 sky.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 1,708
Hi there FF
Here is an image of a carnivore in the wild, a leopard in Kenya. Taken with the 7Dmk2 and EF 400DO IS ii.

Attachments

• Grant-Atkinson-Mara-Plains_19A0075_0214.jpg
    Grant-Atkinson-Mara-Plains_19A0075_0214.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 413
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
Oh no another compelling thread thoroughly littered with great shots.
Well done triggermike, that has to be the quintessential bear fishing shot.
It's unlikely that I will be able to contribute photos to this thread, if I come across a carnivore in the wild here (UK) I'm likely to be the slightly rounded body trying not to be the slowest runner, that's right isn't it you don't have to be the fastest, but you do have to not be the slowest! ;D ;D ;D

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
triggermike said:
Here you go . . .

Alaska Brown Bear at Brooks River Falls - about 2-1/2 hours of patience until I got the right fish at the right angle to the right bear!

2.5 hours of waiting for a shot. That's what being a dedicated photographer is all about! Well done!

It was one of those things - travelled all day to get to Alaska, another float plane trip to get to where these bears are, a mile hike to the falls, 1-1/2hrs waiting and only 1 or 2 salmon jump, leave the falls for a while, then determined to get that shot I hike back to the falls and wait another hour, it begins to drizzle rain, then that fish jumps! Check the viewfinder then feel satisfied leaving!

Thanks all!

BTW, took this 10 years or so ago, Canon 10D with 70-300 IS lens, tripod set to be on bear, using cable release so I could watch falls for jumping fish - if you look thru viewfinder or use LCD, you will surely miss the fish because once its in the viewfinder it is almost impossible to squeeze of shot in time!

Upvote 0
triggermike said:
...using cable release so I could watch falls for jumping fish - if you look thru viewfinder or use LCD, you will surely miss the fish...

You know how someone invented the Lightning Trigger several years ago because no one is fast enough to catch daytime lightning in viewfinder? Someone needs to invent the Fish Trigger! ;D

Upvote 0