Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Cthulhu said:
Jack Douglas said:
unfocused said:
Jack Douglas said:
Thanks for the comment. Does this give 4k 60p capability and does it appear to be a worth grabbing price or are there other similar value options. Is 128 too small to bother with or would 2 X 128 still be worthwhile. Right now I'm in the experimental phase and don't know a whole lot, as must be obvious. ;)

Jack

I really don't know, I only use my 1DX II for stills and it is adequate for that.

This is the article I found from the time when the cards were first introduced:
https://www.eteknix.com/transcend-introduces-the-cfast-2-0-cfx650600-memory-cards-for-4k-video-recordings/

As I said, I think they discontinued the 600 model and I suspect the lower prices are the result of dealers clearing out their stock.

Thanks. They responded with a definite no to 4k60 but wrote nothing more. Googled and read and it sounds like 4k30 would be OK. Is roughly $105 USD a decent price for just a second card (128 GB) for the Cfast slot? Any suggestion on a good performing but not overly expensive CF card? With the 6D I lived in the SD realm so now only have a friends 8GB card and like you I've traditionally shot stills but what a shame not to do some video.

Jack

For stills? Sounds like a bargain to me. These things run at $300 +or-

As mentioned, no previous CF or Cfast experience. I'm thinking rather than spending on a bigger (maybe 128) CF this could be a cheaper option and still give me the same capacity?? Would there be any trade off? I'm guessing the CFX600 cards they are selling are discontinued.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
Cthulhu said:
Jack Douglas said:
unfocused said:
Jack Douglas said:
Thanks for the comment. Does this give 4k 60p capability and does it appear to be a worth grabbing price or are there other similar value options. Is 128 too small to bother with or would 2 X 128 still be worthwhile. Right now I'm in the experimental phase and don't know a whole lot, as must be obvious. ;)

Jack

I really don't know, I only use my 1DX II for stills and it is adequate for that.

This is the article I found from the time when the cards were first introduced:
https://www.eteknix.com/transcend-introduces-the-cfast-2-0-cfx650600-memory-cards-for-4k-video-recordings/

As I said, I think they discontinued the 600 model and I suspect the lower prices are the result of dealers clearing out their stock.

Thanks. They responded with a definite no to 4k60 but wrote nothing more. Googled and read and it sounds like 4k30 would be OK. Is roughly $105 USD a decent price for just a second card (128 GB) for the Cfast slot? Any suggestion on a good performing but not overly expensive CF card? With the 6D I lived in the SD realm so now only have a friends 8GB card and like you I've traditionally shot stills but what a shame not to do some video.

Jack

For stills? Sounds like a bargain to me. These things run at $300 +or-

As mentioned, no previous CF or Cfast experience. I'm thinking rather than spending on a bigger (maybe 128) CF this could be a cheaper option and still give me the same capacity?? Would there be any trade off? I'm guessing the CFX600 cards they are selling are discontinued.

Jack

No trade off, on the 1dx mk2 cfast is the way to go. It'll open up your fps to 14 - it's limited to 12 on CF - and the buffer so that you never have to worry about it. I started shooting action sequences as raw + jpeg and it's made my life so much easier, I almost always have a decent file immediately and it made culling infinitely faster.
I honestly don't understand why they don't offer a 2 cfast option, at least as an upgrade.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Just as note about CFast cards (may or may not apply strictly to Delkin): Yesterday I was shooting and had "Error 70" pop up on my 1dx2. Removing the battery did not solve the problem. I swapped the Cfast cards and that got rid of the problem for my shooting. However, the Delkin card I had in the camera still gives that error. According to their website, you need to do a "deep format" for not just their cards but other cfast cards too. https://www.delkindevices.com/fix-cfast-card-stops-canon-1dxmii-camera/ I'm trying it now and will see what happens.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
ethanz said:
Just as note about CFast cards (may or may not apply strictly to Delkin): Yesterday I was shooting and had "Error 70" pop up on my 1dx2. Removing the battery did not solve the problem. I swapped the Cfast cards and that got rid of the problem for my shooting. However, the Delkin card I had in the camera still gives that error. According to their website, you need to do a "deep format" for not just their cards but other cfast cards too. https://www.delkindevices.com/fix-cfast-card-stops-canon-1dxmii-camera/ I'm trying it now and will see what happens.

Sandisk have said the same about their CFast cards for years. https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17370/~/cfast-2.0-full-format-and-refresh-tool

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Coincidentally, just two days ago I noticed one of my photos displaying that funny piece of coloration at the bottom, like part of the photo reproduced in weird colors. I believe it was in the card Canon shipped and not my 128GB Transcend. First for me since my camera got the update early on.

I've been toying with getting a 256 from:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B017YOX6Y6/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB

Anyone have any info on these guys?

Jack

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Jack Douglas said:
Coincidentally, just two days ago I noticed one of my photos displaying that funny piece of coloration at the bottom, like part of the photo reproduced in weird colors. I believe it was in the card Canon shipped and not my 128GB Transcend. First for me since my camera got the update early on.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B017YOX6Y6/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB

Jack

Wow, Jack. That price is unbelievable. I've never heard of them though.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

Yes, Super Talent is known in the PC industry for making decent quality, though second-tier, SSD drives. They're in the same category as A-Data, with top tier OEMs being companies like Samsung, Intel, and Crucial. If you check reviews of their SSD products, you'll see that they're generally quite favorable, and they're a little cheaper than big name brands.

Around 2015, I purchased a couple of Super Talent SSDs just because they were amazingly priced from some distributor, and they haven't had any issues.

Upvote 0
Talys said:
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

Yes, Super Talent is known in the PC industry for making decent quality, though second-tier, SSD drives. They're in the same category as A-Data, with top tier OEMs being companies like Samsung, Intel, and Crucial. If you check reviews of their SSD products, you'll see that they're generally quite favorable, and they're a little cheaper than big name brands.

Around 2015, I purchased a couple of Super Talent SSDs just because they were amazingly priced from some distributor, and they haven't had any issues.

This is cheap because it's lower quality/speed. Might be enough for 1dxmk2 requirements, but will drop frames if used with a pro video camera. Some cfast cards are no faster than a cf card.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Cthulhu said:
This is cheap because it's lower quality/speed. Might be enough for 1dxmk2 requirements, but will drop frames if used with a pro video camera. Some cfast cards are no faster than a cf card.

That's a CFast 1 card, not a CFast 2.0 card.

It may still be faster than the equivalent Compact Flash card though.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
jolyonralph said:
Cthulhu said:

That's a CFast 1 card, not a CFast 2.0 card.

It may still be faster than the equivalent Compact Flash card though.

I'm pretty clueless on memory but the Transend CFX600 128 GB I bought really cheap does 4K60 when it wasn't supposed to so maybe there is a fair amount of variation. It was a better deal than a fast CF and faster, I'm sure.

Jack

Upvote 0