Cheap manual flash to use for fill lighting...

jdramirez said:
It actually sounds like my 622c might be miscommunicating with the 580 and rather than communicating via ETTL, it is simply telling the 580 to flash at full. Which is why I was going to the high speed sync. Hmm. Come to think of it, I wasn't able to access the on camera flash control when I was having these over exposure issues. So maybe I go back to the drawing board and see if I can get the right setting so I CAN shoot at 1/200th of a second and then maybe I will go ahead and get a reflector to soften some of the shadows. Ugh. I'm a straight A student that is getting a C in this course on flash... it is frustrating.

What shooting mode (camera) were you using?

The flash firing at full power shouldn't send you into high speed sync; and if you were manually bumping up the shutter speed because the flash was too powerful then remember that shutter speed doesn't really have any affect on flash below sync speed. Regardless of what the issue is, you should have to be dealing with HSS in the situation you describe.

My 622 did the same thing when I first pulled it out of the box. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong, but I played with it for awhile until I got it to fire properly with eTTL. I'm not too good with the 622 as I usually just use my manual 602s. Which, I highly recommend that you switch over to full manual, camera and flash, for these photos. Your infant is the perfect test subject for that. If you only have one flash then you can start with ambient and mix in your flash. Or pick up a cheap second flash and start playing around with studio lighting. Seriously, and infant child is about as good a test subject as you're going to get (other than yourself), so long as the flashes doesn't disturb him/her. Just make sure to use modifiers, no bare flash.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Ok... so I think there is something screwy going on with the Yongnuo's 622c's. I start them up, start the camera, the flash and I'm ready to go... and while I can get the flash to go, it isn't on ettl. So I'm flipping through the settings, manual, Av, Tv... etc... and something like 5 to 10 minutes later it finally registers. Then I have full access in camera to hss, 2nd shutter, etc.

I then went ahead and tried to (while Ettl was active) shoot at f/1.8 and it was still OVER POWERING with light. So stopped the shutter down to f/5.6 (so basically 10X less light was going through to the sensor). And that's fine, but again... I like the shallow depth of field. I like the Yongnuo's... but not if they aren't going to work right. So I am going to see if I can get an exchange and hope the next set works better.

Seriously... am I expecting something out of the ordinary for ETTL menu to be functional immediately after turning the devices on? It seems like an ordinary expectation.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
jdramirez said:
Ok... so I think there is something screwy going on with the Yongnuo's 622c's. I start them up, start the camera, the flash and I'm ready to go... and while I can get the flash to go, it isn't on ettl. So I'm flipping through the settings, manual, Av, Tv... etc... and something like 5 to 10 minutes later it finally registers. Then I have full access in camera to hss, 2nd shutter, etc.

I then went ahead and tried to (while Ettl was active) shoot at f/1.8 and it was still OVER POWERING with light. So stopped the shutter down to f/5.6 (so basically 10X less light was going through to the sensor). And that's fine, but again... I like the shallow depth of field. I like the Yongnuo's... but not if they aren't going to work right. So I am going to see if I can get an exchange and hope the next set works better.

Seriously... am I expecting something out of the ordinary for ETTL menu to be functional immediately after turning the devices on? It seems like an ordinary expectation.
How close was the flash and what is its minimum power? Mine was at minimum 1/128th power at f1.8 and I was using a modifier. Put the flash on minimum power in M and see if you get a good exposure, if you do then ETTL is not working, if it overexposed then you need to move your flash further away or put a ND filter on it.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
jdramirez said:

Like PbD Like PbD said, it sounds like you're overpowering the exposure. I’m kind of surprised, unless you’re shooting the strobe bare. I don’t think I’ve ever bottomed out a flash when using modifiers. Are you using a modifier? ISO 100?

But reducing the amount of light isn’t really an issue (usually it’s the opposite), especially if you want soft light. Just put another modifier in-between the flash and your main. It can be anything: a translucent piece of plastic (like from a milk jug), a tissue (don’t drape it on the flash – FIRE), a piece of tracing paper, etc. If you want hard light then just pick up a sample set of Rosco gels and use the ND filters – or buy a sheet of it. Or move the light further away, or bounce it, etc. You should have plenty of options no matter what look you’re going for.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
So these are the manual flash shots... with the darkest being at 1/128 and then progressing 1/64, 1/32, etc... but I really wasn't paying all that much attention to the exact power... I was just going in that direction...

Attachments

• _96A4263.jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 554
  • _96A4264.jpg
    559.7 KB · Views: 553
  • _96A4265.jpg
    687.2 KB · Views: 552
  • _96A4266.jpg
    704.5 KB · Views: 607
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
If it can do that light level in Manual, and not in ETTL (assuming you have not got FEC on) then there is something wrong with your ETTL talking, my guess would be the Yongnuo.

The cheapest way to work ETTL properly is used 550EX's. I love them and used them for years until I upgraded to the 600's. Hell I still have five 550's!

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
privatebydesign said:
If it can do that light level in Manual, and not in ETTL (assuming you have not got FEC on) then there is something wrong with your ETTL talking, my guess would be the Yongnuo.

The cheapest way to work ETTL properly is used 550EX's. I love them and used them for years until I upgraded to the 600's. Hell I still have five 550's!

I think you are right about the yongs... and what annoys me is that I paid a premium to have ettl... so I can use them as simply wireless manual triggers... but I kinda don't want to out of principle. I doubt they have a warranty, but I'm at least asking the place I bought them if there is a warranty, or a replace within this period of time, or just a return. I knew this would be a possibility when I went cheap... but I was hopeful.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
MYSTERY SOLVED....

MYSTERY SOLVED.

In short... it is the yongnuo's... but only one of them. Only one works as a transceiver... the other only works as a receiver... So I labeled them with a black permanent marker... All things considered... not the worst thing in the world... a little annoying, but I can live with it. Yes... yes... I should do manual everything... and I will when I have time... but when I'm "throwing" the baby in front of the camera and I know I have about 5 shots before she starts to yell... I will probably resort to ETTL.

Actually the one that works only as a receiver... does work as a transmitter, but only for manual... so no ettl and it doesn't even transmit that I am hitting the on camera pilot... But if I'm stuck with them... I'm glad they kinda work.

Upvote 0
Re: MYSTERY SOLVED....

jdramirez said:
MYSTERY SOLVED.

In short... it is the yongnuo's... but only one of them. Only one works as a transceiver... the other only works as a receiver... So I labeled them with a black permanent marker...

Get out the 1/4" plastic colored tape and do a strip around it.

We should put this thread on the 'things to consider when purchasing speedlights' faq. Nothing against the Yongnuo's, but mix and match and having to figure it out based on model numbers just isn't my idea of fun.

Hope you found a way to reward yourself for brain teaser.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Re: MYSTERY SOLVED....

Halfrack said:
jdramirez said:
MYSTERY SOLVED.

In short... it is the yongnuo's... but only one of them. Only one works as a transceiver... the other only works as a receiver... So I labeled them with a black permanent marker...

Get out the 1/4" plastic colored tape and do a strip around it.

We should put this thread on the 'things to consider when purchasing speedlights' faq. Nothing against the Yongnuo's, but mix and match and having to figure it out based on model numbers just isn't my idea of fun.

Hope you found a way to reward yourself for brain teaser.

Well... both are transceivers... well supposed to be. So one of them is broken... but it could easily be one of them not working as a full transmitter/receiver... but without another to test, I'm not sure which one is to blame.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
wickidwombat said:
look at a canon ex90 it will master control your other flash
give full ettl and hss is cheap and does have enough power to give that extra fill you are chasing
they are also tiny weight next to nothing and take up little space in the bag

I thought about that, but I didn't want to go back to triggering my off camera flash with another speedlite like I did with my 60D. Actually, the yongnuo's weren't that bad, when they worked.

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
wickidwombat said:
look at a canon ex90 it will master control your other flash
give full ettl and hss is cheap and does have enough power to give that extra fill you are chasing
they are also tiny weight next to nothing and take up little space in the bag

I thought about that, but I didn't want to go back to triggering my off camera flash with another speedlite like I did with my 60D. Actually, the yongnuo's weren't that bad, when they worked.

i thought you wanted the fill flash too? or did you mean additional off camera fill flash?

Upvote 0