Mar 25, 2011
I was shooting the first dress rehersal of our local home School play last night. they are doing "Alice in wonderland" this winter.
The costumes are amazing, and the ultra violet lit scenes with all the purples and blues are going to be a big challenge, enough that I switched my 5D MK III to Adobe RGB to capture as broad a spectrum as possible.
The Cat is a 9 man cat, so it does have nine lives :D Its about 25 feet long to the tip of its tail.

all these are at ISO 26500 except for the photo of the break. The reason is that I was using a fast shutter speed due to the dancing amd movement, and have suddenly encountered some severe tendonitis and just leave the camera controls set.
cheshire%20catWed-4737-XL.jpg

Things are starting to fall apart!

cheshire%20catWed-4741-XL.jpg

A break while the Lighting is being Adjusted

9%20man%20CatWed-4703-XL.jpg

The Cat keeps appearing in various places

cheshire%20catWed-4936-XL.jpg

I'm sorry to hear about the tendinitis (I know all too well about that) but those shots came out great. Those conditions are really though to shoot in, and it's easy to underexpose those vivid colors and clip the color channels in the shadows. Turning the RGB on the histogram can help, as can DxO's "Protect saturated colors" feature. I can't remember if you use DxO or not, but if you do, that can really help bring out the detail in oversaturated colors like the guy's face in the final shot. It's cool you got to shoot the dress rehearsal as practice, I'm sure the play will come out really well.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
mackguyver said:
I'm sorry to hear about the tendinitis (I know all too well about that) but those shots came out great. Those conditions are really though to shoot in, and it's easy to underexpose those vivid colors and clip the color channels in the shadows. Turning the RGB on the histogram can help, as can DxO's "Protect saturated colors" feature. I can't remember if you use DxO or not, but if you do, that can really help bring out the detail in oversaturated colors like the guy's face in the final shot. It's cool you got to shoot the dress rehearsal as practice, I'm sure the play will come out really well.

I think almost everyone in the school is in or involved in the play. Its a home school in a tiny town in Northeast Washington. They borrow the theater from the local high school. The theater is mind blowing as well, lots of cities and Universities would love to have it. Somehow, the town just supports theater, and it is thriving.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I think almost everyone in the school is in or involved in the play. Its a home school in a tiny town in Northeast Washington. They borrow the theater from the local high school. The theater is mind blowing as well, lots of cities and Universities would love to have it. Somehow, the town just supports theater, and it is thriving.
That's great to hear and I'm sure you'll have a blast shooting it and sharing the photos with everyone.

Upvote 0
Those are tough lighting conditions. I didn't know switching to Adobe RGB could help with the color saturation. I know that can be really horrible in plays & concerts, and I frequently just put out B&W if a scene looks hopelessly oversaturated (occasionally, the oversaturation really makes the shot look cool, but it is rare). I'll have to give it a try.

When I shot Titus Andronicus a few months ago, the lighting was incredibly uneven all over the stage. If I wanted to shoot something on stage left, I'd have to quickly boost my ISO, and then bring it right back down as soon as I wanted something on center stage. I never trusted the in-camera metering, as the lighting was all over the place. By the time the 2.5 hours or so were up, I had about 5k photos and my fingers physically ached from holding down the shutter button and continually flipping settings. I've had many situations where I've shot roughly the same number of shots in the same amount of time, but this was the first time I had ever suffered shutter-button fatigue.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
yorgasor said:
Those are tough lighting conditions. I didn't know switching to Adobe RGB could help with the color saturation. I know that can be really horrible in plays & concerts, and I frequently just put out B&W if a scene looks hopelessly oversaturated (occasionally, the oversaturation really makes the shot look cool, but it is rare). I'll have to give it a try.

I was wrong about that.

Since I use RAW, my images are in Adobe RGB and get used in Lightroom as such regardless. That option affects jpg images though.

Upvote 0