Cityscapes

GMCPhotographics

EOS 5D Mark IV
CR Pro
Aug 22, 2010
1,697
419
50
Uk
www.GMCPhotographics.co.uk
Here's my latest, do town scapes count?

29660095630_0dbf9c3cfd_b.jpg

Canon 5DIII TSe 17L and a 1.4x TC A two shot stitched panoramic from two shifted images
 

Valvebounce

EOS R5
CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
4,552
443
54
Isle of Wight
Hi GMC.
When they look that nice who is going to complain. I think towns have a more friendly look than cities anyway but that may be biased as I've never had to live in a city.

Cheers, Graham.

GMCPhotographics said:
Here's my latest, do town scapes count?

Canon 5DIII TSe 17L and a 1.4x TC A two shot stitched panoramic from two shifted images
 

geekpower

EOS 90D
Feb 22, 2015
187
0
Los Angeles from the Griffith Observatory, complete with a few airplanes and the backside of a random teenager who climbed up on the ledge just as i was starting my 30 second exposure:


 

Valvebounce

EOS R5
CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
4,552
443
54
Isle of Wight
Hi Geoff.
Very nice shot, I'm guessing that you wanted the observatory to be in the shot as a reference for the shot location however I have to say it looks as if the teenager might have done you a small favour by reducing the size of the very bright white of the building that shows on that side of the shot, I think I might have cropped that bit off to clean up the shot a bit. It seems that there is scope for cropping without loosing any of the detail or changing the aspect ratio, a little of the top and a little less of the bottom?
Just an opinion and as such not worth a thing and not intended to offend.
Also bear in mind teenagers people in general have no concept of wide angle (or telephoto) lenses, I often get comments like 'oh sorry am I in your shot' when I'm shooting with a tele lens.

Happy new year, Graham.


geekpower said:
Los Angeles from the Griffith Observatory, complete with a few airplanes and the backside of a random teenager who climbed up on the ledge just as i was starting my 30 second exposure:


 

Click

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 29, 2012
14,615
3,459
Canada
geekpower said:
Los Angeles from the Griffith Observatory, complete with a few airplanes and the backside of a random teenager who climbed up on the ledge just as i was starting my 30 second exposure:


Very nice shot, geekpower. Well done.
 

geekpower

EOS 90D
Feb 22, 2015
187
0
Valvebounce said:
Hi Geoff.
Very nice shot, I'm guessing that you wanted the observatory to be in the shot as a reference for the shot location however I have to say it looks as if the teenager might have done you a small favour by reducing the size of the very bright white of the building that shows on that side of the shot, I think I might have cropped that bit off to clean up the shot a bit. It seems that there is scope for cropping without loosing any of the detail or changing the aspect ratio, a little of the top and a little less of the bottom?
Just an opinion and as such not worth a thing and not intended to offend.
Also bear in mind teenagers people in general have no concept of wide angle (or telephoto) lenses, I often get comments like 'oh sorry am I in your shot' when I'm shooting with a tele lens.

Happy new year, Graham.

thanks for the comments Graham. i did play around with cropping that out, because, as you say, the bright light up there competes a bit with the downtown core, but when i cropped it out i wasn't happy with the loss of foreground vs background perspective, which is always hard to find in the dark. unfortunately it was very crowded up there, and other people were waiting their turn to get closer to the edge, so i had to live with what i got.
 

Click

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 29, 2012
14,615
3,459
Canada
GMCPhotographics said:
A few from the weekend in London:

Canon 5DIII and 24-70 f2.8 L

Beautiful pictures. I especially like the first one. Well done.
 

Valvebounce

EOS R5
CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
4,552
443
54
Isle of Wight
Hi GMC.
Very nice series of shots, I like the first shot but I find I am drawn to the B&W shot, this is strange as I normally don't see much in B&W.
Possibly due to being from a generation where B&W was old tech that everyone was trying to leave behind?
The third shot is a great shot from a good position, do many people stand in the middle of the road guarding their tripod at that point?
Also could you tell us what the shots are of, is the first the M.I.5 building? Yes sorry to say that I have no idea of the landmarks in my capitol city! :-[

Cheers, Graham.

GMCPhotographics said:
A few from the weekend in London:


Canon 5DIII and 24-70 f2.8 L
 

GMCPhotographics

EOS 5D Mark IV
CR Pro
Aug 22, 2010
1,697
419
50
Uk
www.GMCPhotographics.co.uk
Valvebounce said:
Hi GMC.
Very nice series of shots, I like the first shot but I find I am drawn to the B&W shot, this is strange as I normally don't see much in B&W.
Possibly due to being from a generation where B&W was old tech that everyone was trying to leave behind?
The third shot is a great shot from a good position, do many people stand in the middle of the road guarding their tripod at that point?
Also could you tell us what the shots are of, is the first the M.I.5 building? Yes sorry to say that I have no idea of the landmarks in my capitol city! :-[

Cheers, Graham.

GMCPhotographics said:
A few from the weekend in London:


Canon 5DIII and 24-70 f2.8 L

Hi Graham, the first and second shots of from Vauxhall bridge and yes it's the MI5 building. The Third shot is of Admiralty Arc, where the Cabinet Office used to live. I'm not sure if they still do. It sits between Buckingham Palace and Trafalgar Square. This shot was taken on a traffic island in Pall Mall. Shortly after this shot (and not my doing) the whole area became grid locked and that was the end of my traffic trails shoot through the arches. It was a bad day to decide to take a trip to London due to the tube strike.
 

Valvebounce

EOS R5
CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
4,552
443
54
Isle of Wight
Hi GMC.
Thank you for letting us know what we were seeing.
We went to London a while back for a doo at the Dorchester, my experience was London can grind to a halt without the tube strike so no doubt that only exacerbated the situation. Whilst we were in London we had some free time so went for a walk in Hyde Park when we got back to the Dorchester we found our car couldn't get to us due to some sort of demonstration march. More gridlock as if London needed more!

Cheers, Graham.

GMCPhotographics said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi GMC.
Very nice series of shots, I like the first shot but I find I am drawn to the B&W shot, this is strange as I normally don't see much in B&W.
Possibly due to being from a generation where B&W was old tech that everyone was trying to leave behind?
The third shot is a great shot from a good position, do many people stand in the middle of the road guarding their tripod at that point?
Also could you tell us what the shots are of, is the first the M.I.5 building? Yes sorry to say that I have no idea of the landmarks in my capitol city! :-[

Cheers, Graham.

GMCPhotographics said:
A few from the weekend in London:


Canon 5DIII and 24-70 f2.8 L

Hi Graham, the first and second shots of from Vauxhall bridge and yes it's the MI5 building. The Third shot is of Admiralty Arc, where the Cabinet Office used to live. I'm not sure if they still do. It sits between Buckingham Palace and Trafalgar Square. This shot was taken on a traffic island in Pall Mall. Shortly after this shot (and not my doing) the whole area became grid locked and that was the end of my traffic trails shoot through the arches. It was a bad day to decide to take a trip to London due to the tube strike.
 

GMCPhotographics

EOS 5D Mark IV
CR Pro
Aug 22, 2010
1,697
419
50
Uk
www.GMCPhotographics.co.uk
Here's a few more:

32072299312_a9fd45003c_b.jpg

This time, I included Vauxhall Bridge in the composition.

31862545140_5a867fe0a6_b.jpg

Buckingham Palace in the rain. I used a long exposure to blur out the myriads of tourists.

31862543100_32772a4871_b.jpg

It's always nice to drop in a circular fisheye shot every now and then :D

31862543640_7aaba9999a_b.jpg

I took a long while to clone out all of the water droplets that fell on the lens during this long exposure!

32238371685_5ec8254613_b.jpg

This is a slightly wider shot, shot a little earlier than the other shots I took of Admiralty Arch. I corrected the verticals in Lightroom. I would normally use my TSe 17L and a tele-converter. But the big bulbous element is a magnet for rain drops. So in this instance, an old 24-70L with it's really useful hood (in the rain) is the tool of choice and correction in post. Annoyingly, the building is slightly off symmetry. Not my fault...it's the way it was built.