Comes the next Canon's with a New X-Trans Sensor?

Cheryll

Interest in lowlight photography/ video
Jun 26, 2014
Germany
chip.de assumed the next canon's comes with a Fullframe X-Trans CMOS Sensor alike that from Fuji

There is to be said for:
Rumors from may says fuji and canon plan a partnership
Current rumors says canon will not launch a stacked sensor (3 Layer Faveon like Sensor)
Canon says in a press release from autumn 2013:,,The newly develop'ed CMOS sensor features pixels measuring 19 microns square in size, which is more than 7.5-times the surface area of the pixels on the CMOS sensor incorporated in Canon's top-of-the-line EOS-1D X''
Only a FF X-trans sensor would be enough MB and a big area of the pixels

I’d like to think that canon launch a FF X- Trans Sensor with 18-24 MB in the next cameras for video and photography in extreme Lowlight situations down to 0,01 Lux and also great in Daylight and Dynamic Range. Distinct better than Sony a7s! (Distinct better than Canon current top models,too)

(0,01 lux is from Canon press 2013 to the new sensor)

Chip.de article:
http://www.chip.de/news/Canon-DSLRs-EOS-1D-X-II-und-5D-IV-Anfang-2015_70546158.html

Feb 26, 2012
AB
Cheryll said:
chip.de assumed the next canon's comes with a Fullframe X-Trans CMOS Sensor alike that from Fuji

There is to be said for:
Current rumors says canon will not launch a stacked sensor (3 Layer Faveon like Sensor)
Canon says in a press release from autumn 2013:,,The newly develop'ed CMOS sensor features pixels measuring 19 microns square in size, which is more than 7.5-times the surface area of the pixels on the CMOS sensor incorporated in Canon's top-of-the-line EOS-1D X''
Only a FF X-trans sensor would be enough MB and! a big area of the pixels

I’d like to think that canon launch a FF X- Trans Sensor with 18-24 MB in the next cameras for extreme Lowlight situations down to 0,01 Lux and great Daylight pictures/ videos. Distinct better than Sony a7s! (Distinct better than Canon current top models,too)

Chip.de article:
http://www.chip.de/news/Canon-DSLRs-EOS-1D-X-II-und-5D-IV-Anfang-2015_70546158.html

That's kind of like Canon conceeding that they can't keep up if they only rely on their own technology.
Their sensors certainly need some serious improvements, I'm not sure if this is the route that will be chosen.
The pixel size still seems to equate to less than 24MP as well on a FF.

Upvote 0
L

Lightmaster

Cheryll said:

There is to be said for:

I’d like to think that canon launch a FF X- Trans Sensor with 18-24 MB in the next cameras for video and photography in extreme Lowlight situations down to 0,01 Lux and also great in Daylight and Dynamic Range. Distinct better than Sony a7s! (Distinct better than Canon current top models,too)

Chip.de article:

chip is a clueless as my grandmother about camera technology.. usually.

the fuji partnership is not even a rumor.. they just say "it´s possible".
well it´s also possible sony will build canons next sensors. ::)

the 19 micron sensor is not a high megapixel sensor.
it´s a sensor made for video:

http://www.canon.se/About_Us/Press_Centre/Press_Releases/Consumer_News/News/35mm_CMOS.aspx

a 35mm sensor is a 35mm sensor.. you can not have more MP and make the individual pixel 7 times bigger. not without making the whole sensor bigger... and then it´s not a 35mm sensor anymore.

sorry but the whole posting makes not much sense.

Upvote 0
Dec 3, 2013
Hillsilly said:
But DxO have never tested an x-trans sensor. I'm nervous...what if they give them a worse rating than the current Canon ones?
My X100S shots are usable to ISO 6400 and I can pull a lot more detail out of the dark areas in comparison to my 60D (or 5DIII) shots. To me, it doesn't matter was DxO says because I see the results with my own eyes.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Frankly I would be surprised Fuji already have a sensor development partner in Panasonic they are jointly developing organic CMOS sensors using Fuji organic photoelectric conversion layer and Panasonic semiconductor device technology they jointly annouced this in 2013.

I think it more likely Canon are doing something themselves using their newer fab process & dual pixel tech.

Upvote 0

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
quod said:
Hillsilly said:
But DxO have never tested an x-trans sensor. I'm nervous...what if they give them a worse rating than the current Canon ones?
My X100S shots are usable to ISO 6400 and I can pull a lot more detail out of the dark areas in comparison to my 60D (or 5DIII) shots. To me, it doesn't matter was DxO says because I see the results with my own eyes.

I'm not sure about the X100S, but X-T1 sensor is no good for details and color (in sufficiently lighted areas). Their RAW images are somewhat precooked (?NR), so it is hard to judge something that's compromised by the in-camera software.

Upvote 0

Cheryll

Jun 26, 2014
Germany
Lightmaster said:
[the 19 micron sensor is not a high megapixel sensor.

a 35mm sensor is a 35mm sensor.. you can not have more MP and make the individual pixel 7 times bigger. not without making the whole sensor bigger... and then it´s not a 35mm sensor anymore.

canon not write how much pixel has this prototype sensor ;-)
only what we know it is a video optimized sensor. the sensor from the 5d mark 3 and from sony a7s are in video mode very great- also video optimized, too….

Wikipedia.de write: ,,the surface of a basic cell is 9 times bigger.''
read here:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fujifilm_X-Pro1

When I understand the info's in wikipedia right, a X-trans sensor have a bigger pixel area as the normal cmos sensor. Medium or high megapixels and a big pixel area are not impossibly

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
Hillsilly said:
But DxO have never tested an x-trans sensor. I'm nervous...what if they give them a worse rating than the current Canon ones? ..

Imaging-Resource published DR tests of the XT1 since DxOmark didn't.
It's in their review.

www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/fuji-x-t1/ZDSCF6778_ACRman_Step_2.png

however Fuji is "cooking" their data in-camera, the results are PDG!
I recently shot some hi ISO closeups of flowers and the results were impressive even with OOC jpgs.

Upvote 0
L

Lightmaster

Cheryll said:
Lightmaster said:
[the 19 micron sensor is not a high megapixel sensor.

canon not write how much pixel has this prototype sensor ;-)
only what we know it is a video optimized sensor. the sensor from the 5d mark 3 and from sony a7s are in video mode very great- also video optimized, too…

it´s a VIDEO sensor and not even 8k. ::)

Wikipedia.de write: ,,the surface of a basic cell is 9 times bigger.''
read here:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fujifilm_X-Pro1

yeah well but that´s not a pixel or better say photosite.
they speak about a pattern of photosites.

When I understand the info's in wikipedia right, a X-trans sensor have a bigger pixel area as the normal cmos sensor.

nope. they use a different pattern than a bayer sensor.

Upvote 0
Hillsilly said:
But DxO have never tested an x-trans sensor. I'm nervous...what if they give them a worse rating than the current Canon ones? To play it safe, they should use the Nikon D4s sensor. At least we know it has good DR (at least until the D810 is tested).

I hope you're being sarcastic....and not actually worried about DXO and how they may or may not rate the new sensor. You're 'nervous'....really???

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012
bosshog7_2000 said:
Hillsilly said:
But DxO have never tested an x-trans sensor. I'm nervous...what if they give them a worse rating than the current Canon ones? To play it safe, they should use the Nikon D4s sensor. At least we know it has good DR (at least until the D810 is tested).

I hope you're being sarcastic....and not actually worried about DXO and how they may or may not rate the new sensor. You're 'nervous'....really???

It does matter to this extent - because DxO doesn't "do"X-trans sensors, its software can't be used to edit X-trans raw files; and as far as I can tell, getting good results from other software isn't easy. Of course, this is irrelevant if you're happy with the out-of-camera jpegs, but I'm not....

Upvote 0

Cheryll

Jun 26, 2014
Germany
Lightmaster said:
it´s a VIDEO sensor and not even 8k. ::)

yeah well but that´s not a pixel or better say photosite.
they speak about a pattern of photosites.

nope. they use a different pattern than a bayer sensor.

Pity! I hoped the X-Trans Fullframe Sensor would be alike a Super Sensor. It is not so...
A comparision on depreview showed the Fuji X-Pro 1 is great, but not so great how Fuji display.

Please Canon make not a Fullframe X-Trans Sensor alike Fuji but a better one with a better technology! ;D

And I will not longer waiting for the video camera with the extreme Lowlight Sensor ;)

Upvote 0
sdsr said:
bosshog7_2000 said:
Hillsilly said:

It does matter to this extent - because DxO doesn't "do"X-trans sensors, its software can't be used to edit X-trans raw files; and as far as I can tell, getting good results from other software isn't easy. Of course, this is irrelevant if you're happy with the out-of-camera jpegs, but I'm not....

I'm not talking about the quality of X-Trans RAW conversions...and either was he. He said he was worried about DXO giving the new sensor a poor sensor score...which obviously assumes DXO can demosaic the file.

Upvote 0
bosshog7_2000 said:

Yes, given the general antipathy towards the DxO Mark around here, I thought most people would pick up on the sarcasm.

Personally, I shoot Fuji and love the IQ. I'd have no problems if Canon moved in that direction. But their images are different to Canon. They come out less vibrant. This is fine for many things (especially portraits), but something that dedicated Canon landscape photographers might not appreciate. Some interesting comments above about Fuji RAW files. I've never noticed anything wrong with them and have always been impressed with the detail they contain. There are some known issues with RAW converters (such as in LightRoom and PhotoShop). But I'd assume that given Canon's market dominance, if they were to start using an X-Trans sensor, the software makers would dedicate the necessary resources to support the sensor properly.

Upvote 0
quod said:

I've had the same X100S experience, and when I first processed the Fuji files I was pissed that a Canon camera costing three times as much gives me crap files comparatively. The Fuji files are a joy to process; Canon files are drudgery. When I have a choice, the 5D3 sits and the Fuji goes to town.

One sure thing I've learned from the Fuji is that I'll never buy another SLR camera.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
distant.star said:
I've had the same X100S experience, and when I first processed the Fuji files I was pissed that a Canon camera costing three times as much gives me crap files comparatively. The Fuji files are a joy to process; Canon files are drudgery. When I have a choice, the 5D3 sits and the Fuji goes to town.

One sure thing I've learned from the Fuji is that I'll never buy another SLR camera.

Errr... so why maintain the interest in Canon forums now.... their p&s and EOS-M? ::)

I am curious about Fuji files. Their jpeg stuff is definitely impressive... but what about their RAW files? What software are you using? I understand Adobe software, the staple software for many folks including yours truly, does not process Fuji RAW files well.

Upvote 0
As I mentioned LR & PS above, I might clarify my opinion. RAW files in LR & PS are fine. Certainly as good as a Canon RAW file. However, there are a few programs that seem to be able to get even more detail out of Fuji files. If you do a search, you'll find a number of comparison pages. But as with Canon, most people use Adobe programs without complaint. So its not that they are bad. It's just that some other programs seem to process some x-trans sensors images better. Personally, I use LR & PS and Nik.

(Although in most blind tests, most people can't tell the difference and think it is all much of a muchness).

(In the early days, LR & PS sometimes generated some "smearing" (for want of a better word) in some images , but in recent updates, that problem has been largely reduced/gone).

As above, most of my photos are shot with a Fuji camera. I also doubt if I'll be making a significant Canon purchase in the foreseeable future. But all the Fuji forums are so dull. 99% of the posts are from people saying "I just sold all my Canon (or Nikon) gear and have never been happier". So apart from having a number of camera bodies and lenses and a foot in both camps, CanonRumors is so much more interesting.

Upvote 0
Woody said:
I am curious about Fuji files. Their jpeg stuff is definitely impressive... but what about their RAW files? What software are you using? I understand Adobe software, the staple software for many folks including yours truly, does not process Fuji RAW files well.
I can edit Fuji's RAW files in Adobe RAW/Photoshop CS6 without any problem.

If I try to open them in CS5, I get an error message that Adobe RAW cannot open the file. I rarely use CS5 anymore, so I don't know if I can update its RAW software so that it is compatible with Fuji's RAW files.

Upvote 0