Comparable Camera to the Sony RX100

Status
Not open for further replies.
mw said:
I picked up the RX100 yesterday and finally had a chance to play with it. Here are my impressions:

IQ is great. Handles low light quite well. My gripe, not necessary Sony's fault, is my difficulty of holding the camera. It's a bit heavy for its size, since it is very well constructed. I have to remind myself from time to time to hold on to the camera tighter and not to drop it. It is a bit slippery since there is only metal facing in the front. Since I have difficulty holding on to the camera, it was even more difficult trying to push the little buttons in the back in trying to change the settings and take the pictures manually. So it was best for me to just keep the settings on full auto.

It's a good little camera. But I think I'll either return it or give it to my daughter.

You can buy a little grippy thing that makes it less slippery and more comfortable to hold, if you wanted to try that.

Upvote 0

Vivid Color

CR Pro
Dec 7, 2012
I thought about buying the Sony RX100, but ended up buying the Canon s100 when it was on sale for $229 on Amazon. I plan to take it on a trip in which I'll already be taking 2 DSLR bodies and an assortment of lenses. If it were to be my only camera, I'd pay the $648. But as a point and shoot, and for my uses, I decided to put the $400+ difference toward other uses. That said, if the price spread had been say $100, there is no question that I would have bought the Sony.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Eli said:
mw said:
I picked up the RX100 yesterday and finally had a chance to play with it. Here are my impressions:

IQ is great. Handles low light quite well. My gripe, not necessary Sony's fault, is my difficulty of holding the camera. It's a bit heavy for its size, since it is very well constructed. I have to remind myself from time to time to hold on to the camera tighter and not to drop it. It is a bit slippery since there is only metal facing in the front. Since I have difficulty holding on to the camera, it was even more difficult trying to push the little buttons in the back in trying to change the settings and take the pictures manually. So it was best for me to just keep the settings on full auto.

It's a good little camera. But I think I'll either return it or give it to my daughter.

You can buy a little grippy thing that makes it less slippery and more comfortable to hold, if you wanted to try that.

Yep. Google "Franiec rx100 grip".

Upvote 0
Vivid Color said:
I thought about buying the Sony RX100, but ended up buying the Canon s100 when it was on sale for $229 on Amazon. I plan to take it on a trip in which I'll already be taking 2 DSLR bodies and an assortment of lenses. If it were to be my only camera, I'd pay the $648. But as a point and shoot, and for my uses, I decided to put the $400+ difference toward other uses. That said, if the price spread had been say $100, there is no question that I would have bought the Sony.
+1

Bought the S100 on Black Friday for $229 from Amazon too. Got it in silver, figured it looked "less pro" than black and wouldn't cook as much in the Florida sun. Happy with my choice.

Upvote 0
Coming from the Samsungs EX1 (or 500 something in other countries):
Sure, the RX100 is expensive.
But the IQ is much better, lowlight much better, faster (fr/s and AF), fast and easy accessable HD- video (never cared about this before, now I use it more often).

Paid the price once, since then I had 4522 times fun :)).

Upvote 0
This is really great little camera and pretty robust.
My lovely wife dropped three days old rx100 in Paris on sidewalk and it's working well, despite big left side deformation. It is relatively heavy for compact sized camera.
Pictures I'm posting are taken by my wife and more likely in auto settings.
Enjoy.

Attachments

• 20130203-DSC00347.jpg
    20130203-DSC00347.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,741
  • 20130203-DSC00381.jpg
    20130203-DSC00381.jpg
    473 KB · Views: 1,666
  • 20130203-DSC00378.jpg
    20130203-DSC00378.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 1,639
  • 20130203-DSC00354.jpg