Coronavirus and Canon production

My first thought was: How glad I am that I have enough stuff to do what I want but prices will get higher if I need or want some special stuff.
My second thought was: Has my need a higher priority than acting against a virus that will presumably not the killer beast of some dystopic movies but kills people directly and leads to a decrease of economic growth which will affect a lot of people very hard: No Job -> no money -> less to eat/heat/cultural participation.
And death rates of round about 1% (at the moment higher) means 1 out of hundred persons is killed - a much higher percentage than winning a lottery where it is often around 0.00001% to make a big win. And we think "I will win in the lottery, but the virus will not kill me!" Stochastics are a strange thing!
Coming back to my first thought: I will enjoy to use what I have and hope for all the people directly or indirectly affected by the corona outbreak that they will go through that crisis as good as possible and global medical science will find effective and efficient countermeasures!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
I am living in Frankfurt am Main / West-Germany. Same situation here: (some) empty shelves in Super-Markets signal, that people are concerned. We should expect a serious situation, if the Corona-Virus will behave in a similar way as the Influenza-Virus. Luckily our Chancelor holds a PhD in Physics and her chief of staff is a Physician and Professor for Medicine. They have the mental capacity to understand what is going on and will manage this crisis - if it is going to develop in one.

Photokina and a possible delay in the shipping of the EOS R5 is BTW the least i worry about.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I wonder what would be, if the news media would report in the same way about INFLUENZA as they do right now about COVID-19.

I have no numbers from China about influenza there but for Germany we have per year about more than 150.000 confirmed infected and more than 20.000 dead because of influenza.
Right now we have less than 200 confirmed infected and nobody had died in Germany because of COVID-19.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
I wonder what would be, if the news media would report in the same way about INFLUENZA as they do right now about COVID-19.

I have no numbers from China about influenza there but for Germany we have per year about more than 150.000 confirmed infected and more than 20.000 dead because of influenza.
Right now we have less than 200 confirmed infected and nobody had died in Germany because of COVID-19.

Really? That death rate in Germany seems oddly high. This year's figures are 80000 confirmed infected, 130 dead. https://www.dw.com/en/massive-flu-wave-grips-germany/a-52445643

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012

The problem with this virus is about 10% of ill people require intensive care - far more than plain influenza, and more concentrated - if there is a surge hospitals may start to have not enough beds available - and intensive care is still needed for other patients as well. That means physician need to start to decide who gets intensive care and who doesn't - depending on their chances to survive, as it happens anytime there are not enough resources to cure everybody.
And of course you have to add this to the influenza toll - which didn't go away, even if we have vaccines to protect people from influenza, especially medical personnel, while we don't have yet anything against COVID-19 - infected physician and nurses may become another problem. The situation is not tragic, but it's serious, enough serious special precautions have to be applied.

The impact on the economy won't be light - anyway it also showed well the risk to put too many eggs into one basket,. This time is a virus, next time could be something else.

Upvote 0

Mahk43

EOS R6
CR Pro
Feb 28, 2020
France
www.clarenc.art
I work in excavator industry in Europe, an industry composed with a minor percent of asian parts than cameras, but we decided to close the plant because of lack of parts. If the impact is to close a plant for us, I imagine the closing of every single plant (any industry) in Asia is just a matter of time (inventory of parts).

In every countries now I think their strategy is to wait for the warmer spring climate to see if it endigates the infection or not. If not, they will cancel all major events until end of the summer

Don't worry not to get your brand new R5 in time, you'll have nothing to shoot with :(

Upvote 0
Is Canon doomed?
Lol.
The real question though, is the world doomed?
But more importantly, I hope all the nations of the world and even the anti socials can now see that all their silly threats and communal disharmony hold no water in the wake of a worldwide pandemic.
It's time we all finally united. Let's hope.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Really? That death rate in Germany seems oddly high. This year's figures are 80000 confirmed infected, 130 dead. https://www.dw.com/en/massive-flu-wave-grips-germany/a-52445643
This years influenza season (winter 2019/2020) has just begun. It seems you are referring to those numbers.

I took my numbers from one of the anual reports (2018/2019, German) from the German "Robert Koch Institute" which is a (the) German federal government agency and research institute responsible for disease control and prevention.

Typically the numbers of confirmed infected cases are lower than the real numbers, because not everyone is tested. And the high number of dead come also from secondary infections like pneumonia which cause most of the victims of influenza.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
In my personal opinion, I think people are overreacting to this disease, but we do have to be cautious, but not allow it to rule our lives

I don’t know man. I think it is very hard to judge. The Spanish flue had a mortality rate of 2,5 % of infected cases and it ended up killing 50 million people. 2,5% is very close to mortality rate of corona. This could be as serious as the Spanish flue.
Let’s hope summer and modern medicine will help us.

Upvote 0