Could This Be the Goal of the 6D Hysteria?

May 11, 2017
Luds34 said:
Khalai said:
ahsanford said:
YL, you've cracked the code!

Clearly the DR hysteria is being fueled by a shadowy Breitbartian figure that is trying to whip people into a frenzy to ditch Canon for SoNikon cameras so that he can scoop up 2nd hand Canon gear on the cheap for subsequent resale at market prices. Genius.

- A

Look at the bright side, he made someone very happy with such lenses :D

Especially if he/she unloaded all of his/her equipment that fast. It can take me a few months (sometimes half a year) to unload a single lens, but usually the patience is worth it as I feel I end up receiving fair value. If I unloaded all my Canon gear in the time frame this person did, I think I'd be taking some large losses.

Right. Doubt that it ever happened. My guess is that the original email was a fabrication, to stir the pot. CR0

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
ahsanford said:
The 6D2 witch hunt is tantamount to seeing a new car loaded with advantages over the prior model year, we yet throw a fit that it's less peppy only in first gear.

Yes -- Canon could have easily given the 6D2 a peppier first gear (the base ISO DR) -- there is no denying that. But just about everything else on the camera is a compelling upgrade over the 6D1. I am highly confident the 6D2 will sell like hotcakes because Canon is the most compelling ecosystem to be part of and their gear reliably works without any surprises.

So, no, this isn't GAS at play so much as a number of (I would say) legitimately disappointed Canon landscapers looking to upgrade + an absolute mob of folks that flock to disappointment and stoke the flames. The latter group thought that no 4K / single card slot were the great offenses to rant about, but then Canon threw them a real bone: sensor tech from 2012.

Let them rant -- it's a free internet -- but I won't associate any higher meaning to it.

- A
I pulled up my LR stats (attached) & apparently I sit in "1st gear" a heck of a lot. Perhaps 1st gear is important to some people...

Attachments

• LR Catalogue stats.jpg
    LR Catalogue stats.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 242
Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
StudentOfLight said:
I pulled up my LR stats (attached) & apparently I sit in "1st gear" a heck of a lot. Perhaps 1st gear is important to some people...

Nobody ever said it's not. Everybody has a different needs and priorities. Which is why any generalization is generally ( :) ) frowned upon. And you also sit two thirds of the time in ISO, where interbrand DR differences are irrelevant. Now, which one of that is bigger priority for you should dictate if 6D II is a camera for you or perhaps not :)

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
Khalai said:
StudentOfLight said:

Nobody ever said it's not. Everybody has a different needs and priorities. Which is why any generalization is generally ( :) ) frowned upon. And you also sit two thirds of the time in ISO, where interbrand DR differences are irrelevant. Now, which one of that is bigger priority for you should dictate if 6D II is a camera for you or perhaps not :)
Also I have issue with the it's merely "1st gear" analogy.

With imaging I'd tend towards the lowest practically usable ISO in order to deliver the cleanest files. In ideal conditions I'd use low ISO not anything else.

OTOH, when driving I wouldn't ideally want to drive around in 1st gear because 1st would be very heavy on fuel and most destructive to the engine per distance traveled. In ideal conditions I'd use a higher gear in order to achieve better fuel efficient and reduced wear.

I don't think the "1st gear" analogy is a good representation of imaging as it fails to align with the priorities inherent in good image-making practice.

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
StudentOfLight said:
With imaging I'd tend towards the lowest practically usable ISO in order to deliver the cleanest files. In ideal conditions I'd use low ISO not anything else.

I guess that's only natural and I honestly don't know anyone willing to increase ISO just for the sake of it. When I'm shooting landscapes, ISO 100 and tripod is a given. But when doing reportage, Auto ISO 100-3200/6400 with minimum shutter speed of 1/60s or 1/125s is my bread and butter and I could not care less about used ISO. So back again to individual priorities. I guess that hardcore landscapers are not very pleased with 6D II, but they can always pick up e.g. Sony A7rII and adapt their Canon lenses, if they feel they can't part with them...

Upvote 0