Crazy RF 100-500 Disaster!!

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Quick resurrection of the thread. I have avoided the 100-500 tripod foot since, I agree with others, the lens is light enough to use handheld and I am nervous about the reliability and strength of the tripod foot, itself. But, carrying the camera and lens, with or without the 1.4x TC on my Black Rapid is too unbalanced. the lens hangs down when the BR is attached to the plate on the camera.

So, I've settled on the Hejnar DO60 plate on the tripod foot (I use a lot of Kirk plates but felt that that QD point was too far forward) and use a QD from the BR to the plate BUT ALSO have a safety strap from my BR to the camera lug using a small carabiner. The camera with the lens attached is balanced hanging horizontally at my right hip and, should disaster befall the setup, the carabiner strap should stop a lens to ground event. FYI, having once lost a lens to a tripod fall (the camera survived), I never leave a camera on a tripod without a loose strap around my neck. I know I could inadvertently pull the setup with that strap but I'd rather risk that in case the tripod falls or the lens foot fails.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Quick resurrection of the thread. I have avoided the 100-500 tripod foot since, I agree with others, it is light enough to use handheld and I am nervous about the reliability ands strength of the tripod foot, itself. But, carrying the camera and lens, with or without the 1.4x TC on my Black Rapid is too unbalanced. the lens hangs down when the BR is attached to the plate on the camera.

So, I've settled on the Hejnar DO60 plate on the tripod foot (I use a lot of Kirk plates but felt that that QD point was too far forward) and use a QD from the BR to the plate BUT ALSO have a safety strap from my BR to the camera lug using a small carabiner. The camera with the lens attached is balanced hanging horizontally at my right hip and, should disaster befall the setup, the carabiner strap should stop a lens to ground event. FYI, having once lost a lens to a tripod fall (the camera survived), I never leave a camera on a tripod without a loose strap around my neck. I know I could inadvertently pull the setup with that strap but I'd rather risk that in case the tripod falls or the lens foot fails.
For several years now, I have used two caribiners on the BR strap, one to the body and the other to the tripod foot. It gives that extra security and the camera and lens hang better.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Best advice I can give is to take the tripod collar off the lens and chuck it in the waste bin.

I had an RF 70-200 bite the dust when that stupid collar popped open and the lens and camera fell to the floor. Canon ended up replacing the lens for free because they were unable to repair it. I think really they know the tripod collar has a design flaw.

When I got the new 70-200 from Canon I immediately took the tripod collar off and put it in a box. Recently I had to shoot a runway show and wanted to have the 70-200 on a monopod for a little extra stability. So I pulled that awful tripod collar out of the closet and put it on at the show. When I was packing up and going to unscrew the monopod from the tripod collar (which was attach to the camera) it again popped open and the camera and lens went falling to the ground.

By the grace of god I somehow caught them and prevented another disaster.

In my opinion the RF tripod collars which swing open under the weight of the camera should be recalled. They are flawed and your lens and camera is at risk using them.

I bet anything when these lenses start getting revised that design will be replaced.

In close I should mention the design of the EF tripod collars was pretty much bulletproof, impossible to come off when the lens and camera were connected.

Upvote 0