RF 100-500 Rear Gasket Replacement

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
While I was giving my gear a clean after a long trip I noticed my RF 100-500 had damage to the rear gasket, a small chunk of was missing. No idea how it happened. But this will likely cause the weather sealing to become compromised.

Has anyone have this happen to them? How much did the repair cost?
I have that on a few older (10+ years) lenses, but I haven't looked at replacing them. I'm a fair weather shooter with those lenses (EF17-40, EF24-105) :)

Upvote 0
I have that on a few older (10+ years) lenses, but I haven't looked at replacing them. I'm a fair weather shooter with those lenses (EF17-40, EF24-105) :)
Fair enough!

For me, I need my 15-35 and 100-500 to be rain-bomb proof. I have found that dusty / rainy conditions yield some sweet landscape / wildlife photos.

Upvote 0
I don't imagine replacing the RF rubber seal is any more difficult than the EF seals. I don't have an RF lens. On the EF lenses remove the mount screws, lift the mount a bit and work the old seal off, reverse the process to install the new seal. I have replaced a few over the years, always do when I replace a mount. I replaced the mounts on my 300/2.8 IS before I sold it and on my 500/4 IS (before they become impossilbe to get). The last EF seals I bought from Canon last year were $16.74 each.

Upvote 0