Crazy RF 100-500 Disaster!!

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
I've been using my RF 100-500 + RF 1.4 on a monopod with the Wimberly MonoGimbel Head which works great! The only problem I had was with my tripod mount ring which I have had difficulty tightening it around the lens and it would pop open easily and finally got to the point I couldn't even close it around the lens. I sent it in to Canon and they said that the screws were damaged by over tightening and was bent and it was a non serviceable accessory and I would need to buy a new one. OK--well, the hooker is they don't offer a tripod mount ring for sale for this lens! I'm leaving for Iceland in 6 weeks for bird photography.
What a fine kettle of fish I'm in!! :mad:o_O:sick: What to do?!?!?!
Catherine

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It's another Canon design with a flimsy weak point (the base of the foot of the 100-400mm II mount is secured by four tiny screws). The closing of the 100-500 hinged tripod ring relies on a bolt pressing against an indentation. Could you describe the damage better or post a photo to give a better idea where the problem is? Is it the knurled bolt slipping or is the hinge damaged? Depending on the damage, it could be difficult to fix. Given the time constraints, sending it to an ingenious fixer like Mt Spokane may be necessary.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Canon repair didn't give you a price on a new mount? That seems bizarre.

Are you a member of CPS? If not, join at the Gold or Platinum level now and then contact CPS and explain the situation and see what they can do. It's possible that while Canon may not sell the tripod mount rings as a regular accessory, they may have them on their parts list and may sell you one as repair part. The biggest worry I have is that given the supply chain issues with Canon currently, they may not have a tripod ring in stock as a spare/replacement part.

How does the 100-500 ring compare in size to others. Would it be possible to use the ring from another lens, like the 70-200?

Lastly, if all else fails, how about using the camera's tripod mounting hole. Unbalanced, but given that the 100-500 isn't a super heavy lens, it might work as a temporary solution. The camera's lens mount is certainly designed to be strong enough to support the lens, as not everyone uses the lens with a tripod or monopod.

Ultimately though, I think Canon needs to resolve this, even if it is at your cost. It is unacceptable for them to say you need a replacement part, but we can't sell you the replacement part. Contact CPS and start escalating it up the food chain.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

digigal

CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
I am a Gold CPS member and eligible for Platinum but never moved to that level because I didn't see enough benefit to do so. I'll be calling them today to see what can be done. The lens can easily be handheld but with a higher megapixel camera, I find I need to shoot a a much higher speed so now I will use a monopod to keep my ISO as low as possible.
Catherine

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I am a Gold CPS member and eligible for Platinum but never moved to that level because I didn't see enough benefit to do so. I'll be calling them today to see what can be done. The lens can easily be handheld but with a higher megapixel camera, I find I need to shoot a a much higher speed so now I will use a monopod to keep my ISO as low as possible.
Catherine
I am still avoiding mono/tripods. I tend to keep the speed at 1/1250s or greater - and it works well.

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
I've been using my RF 100-500 + RF 1.4 on a monopod with the Wimberly MonoGimbel Head which works great! The only problem I had was with my tripod mount ring which I have had difficulty tightening it around the lens and it would pop open easily and finally got to the point I couldn't even close it around the lens. I sent it in to Canon and they said that the screws were damaged by over tightening and was bent and it was a non serviceable accessory and I would need to buy a new one. OK--well, the hooker is they don't offer a tripod mount ring for sale for this lens! I'm leaving for Iceland in 6 weeks for bird photography.
What a fine kettle of fish I'm in!! :mad:o_O:sick: What to do?!?!?!
Catherine
Hate the new style tripod mount ring. This just confirms my fears.

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
I would take the tripod collar to a machinist and have him look at it
The above is the easiest.

However if you want a quick turnaround... is the screw stripped or the mount stripped? If it's the screw you can probably fashion a replacement screw that will get you by. If it's the mount you can retap the hole in the mount and put an insert in it. However it almost sound like your whole ring is bent a little.

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
How does the 100-500 ring compare in size to others. Would it be possible to use the ring from another lens, like the 70-200?

Unfortunately, they are different.

However, I was doing a little searching and found an aftermarket one for the 70-200 (that includes an arca-swiss base for about $60)... so a bit more digging might uncover one for the 100-500. If they get a Canon branded one, they can expect it to be $200... so might be worth it to search for the aftermarket.

Upvote 0

digigal

CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
I had just received an email that they had shipped everything back to me so I put in a frantic call to CPS repair dept and the guy that answered escalated me up to the next level after I told him that they said they couldn't fix it and I needed to buy a new one and they didn't even sell them! The fellow I spoke with did more digging. They said that the problem was caused by "over tightening the screws and that damaged where the screws went into the collar so that the collar was bent and wouldn't fit around the lens" I told him that because of the arthritis in my hands I could NEVER tighten a screw let alone over tighten one because of my impaired grip! Also I told him about borrowing another 100-500 collar last week that I used for a full week without any problem at all and that I had spoken with a rep before my trip and told him I was having trouble with it when I was in Mexico and I had slowly become unusable and I had almost lost my lens a couple of times when it suddenly popped open and if I hadn't had my camera strap around my neck the lens would have hit the ground. The tech advised me to wait until after my fox photo trip so I could send both the lens and the ring in together and it was on that trip that I was able to borrow another one that worked fine. I will say that I HATE, HATE, HATE the design of this ring because it is so snug and gives no tolerance to popping open and is so flimsy. I just really don't see it being able to support my the 100-500 + 1.4 and the R5 on a side mount gimbel over a lifetime of the lens. Anyway, the long and short of the saga, is this tech did more investigation and found out that "as a courtesy" they were sending me a new tripod ring in the box with my lens. I guess when they found out there was no mechanism for me to buy one, they were stuck! Anyway treat those rings with kid gloves!!!
Catherine

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

digigal

CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
Unfortunately, they are different.

However, I was doing a little searching and found an aftermarket one for the 70-200 (that includes an arca-swiss base for about $60)... so a bit more digging might uncover one for the 100-500. If they get a Canon branded one, they can expect it to be $200... so might be worth it to search for the aftermarket.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Happy ending, I guess. I received my lens and the new tripod ring yesterday. I still don't like the design and wish it were more robust--maybe they are thinking it will mainly be used as a handheld lens and the ring is just a "toy" add-on.
Catheirne
Catheirne ???o_O

Upvote 0