Cruise Liner send off in style.

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
While waiting for a car ferry home we went in to the Mayflower Park in Southampton for an ice cream and got to accidentally witness this sendoff.
It is the Ovation of the Seas and I think it was the VIP tour. It is a shame that the modern liners have none of the class or style of the older ships and look more like a tower block fell over! :-\

IMG_1034_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

IMG_1042_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

IMG_1065_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

IMG_1050_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

IMG_1073_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

I couldn’t find another thread for liners, if there is one I will happily move this post, if not feel free to add to it if you have anything cruise related, river, lake or whatever you have.

Cheers, Graham.

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Valvebounce said:
Hi Folks.
While waiting for a car ferry home we went in to the Mayflower Park in Southampton for an ice cream and got to accidentally witness this sendoff.
It is the Ovation of the Seas and I think it was the VIP tour. It is a shame that the modern liners have none of the class or style of the older ships and look more like a tower block fell over! :-\

IMG_1034_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

IMG_1042_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

IMG_1065_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

IMG_1050_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

IMG_1073_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

I couldn’t find another thread for liners, if there is one I will happily move this post, if not feel free to add to it if you have anything cruise related, river, lake or whatever you have.

Cheers, Graham.

For some reason this ship makes me think immediately of 'The Poseidon Adventure' ! ;D

Love 1065.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi jwilton.
Very nice shots, thank you for joining in, I have used a bollard as a tripod before, it is still difficult not to wobble around on the rounded top, I think you did well.
Just passing or we’re you working on the dock or awaiting her arrival just to get a shot?

Cheers, Graham.

jwilton said:
Queen Mary 2 quietly enters Sydney at Harbour 5:30am today. Hand held on a boldard 0.8s f4.0 iso640 with my point and click SonyRX100 (sorry, this is my walkabout camera, I had left my 6D at home).

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Sporgon.
Hmm, I’m not sure why it would bring The Poseidon Adventure to mind! :) ‘72 original or ‘05 remake? I have only seen the original.
Thanks for the compliment.

Cheers, Graham.

Sporgon said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Folks.

Cheers, Graham.

For some reason this ship makes me think immediately of 'The Poseidon Adventure' ! ;D

Love 1065.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
jwilton said:
Queen Mary 2 quietly enters Sydney at Harbour 5:30am today. Hand held on a boldard 0.8s f4.0 iso640 with my point and click SonyRX100 (sorry, this is my walkabout camera, I had left my 6D at home).

I particularly like the first shot. All the elements come together to make it a great picture. I'm not sure that it would have been better with another camera.... yes, you might have gotten it a bit sharper, or you could have shot HDR to get more range, but you would have lost the look.... And besides, the moment would have been gone.

Upvote 0

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
Paddlewheeler on the Columbia River

This was taken last Fall in the Columbia River Gorge. We had some big wildfires and I had hiked up Beacon Rock to see if I could get some photos of the fire damage across the river on the Oregon side. i liked the ominous lighting.

There are three paddle wheel cruise vessels on the river that I know of. I call them small, medium and large. This is the medium size one.

Camera: Canon 77D

p2775530348.jpg

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Valvebounce said:
Hi Sporgon.
Hmm, I’m not sure why it would bring The Poseidon Adventure to mind! :) ‘72 original or ‘05 remake? I have only seen the original.
Thanks for the compliment.

Cheers, Graham.

Sporgon said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Folks.

Cheers, Graham.

Love 1065.

Because it looks so top heavy it could roll over at any moment !

Upvote 0
Valvebounce said:
Hi jwilton.
Very nice shots, thank you for joining in, I have used a bollard as a tripod before, it is still difficult not to wobble around on the rounded top, I think you did well.
Just passing or we’re you working on the dock or awaiting her arrival just to get a shot?

Cheers, Graham.

Thank you Graham, This is just under the Sydney Harbour Bridge and there a many bollards to choose from, they are not all the same on the top.
I swim every morning at a pool under the Bridge and take my camera with me just in case.

Cheers, John

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
I particularly like the first shot. All the elements come together to make it a great picture. I'm not sure that it would have been better with another camera.... yes, you might have gotten it a bit sharper, or you could have shot HDR to get more range, but you would have lost the look.... And besides, the moment would have been gone.

Thank you Don, I quote you all the time "the best camera is the one in your hand".

Upvote 0