D800 - Sample Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RedEye

I admit. I googled every Hassy image sample I could find. I have two 23" HD monitors, and so with photos side by side, I could not tell the difference between the sample and the Phase One 40ish MP back.

I'm sastified, I'll take one. For the price, maybe two or three. The only thing now is fitting it with the new canon glass :)

If only we didn't have to shoot through air... ... ..

Upvote 0

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
jonrista.com
Am I the only one who thinks we need to see images at ISO 3200 and 6400 to really see how this thing competes? The ISO 640 image is amazing (I think more because of the beautiful woman than anything else ;), but it is only ISO 640. ISO 640 looks pretty darn good on the 5D II as well, albeit with a tad more read noise. I think the frontier of competition is at high ISO...1600, 3200, 6400...and beyond.

Upvote 0
Nov 16, 2010
jrista said:
Am I the only one who thinks we need to see images at ISO 3200 and 6400 to really see how this thing competes?

A 36 megapixel camera will not excel at low light, so if you're a low light shooter then a 36 megapixel camera is not the thing to have. However, perhaps it is "good enough" for those of us that mainly shoot base ISO from tripod but occasionally do some casual hand-held shooting. I don't think this is a "wedding photography" camera though.

Upvote 0
R

RedEye

jrista said:
Am I the only one who thinks we need to see images at ISO 3200 and 6400 to really see how this thing competes? The ISO 640 image is amazing (I think more because of the beautiful woman than anything else ;), but it is only ISO 640. ISO 640 looks pretty darn good on the 5D II as well, albeit with a tad more read noise. I think the frontier of competition is at high ISO...1600, 3200, 6400...and beyond.

Agreed. I'm hoping for a total confidence usability at 3200. If 6400, that's a plus. No matter what, I'm sure it won't be worse than it is now, and I want the pixels.

Upvote 0
torger said:
jrista said:
Am I the only one who thinks we need to see images at ISO 3200 and 6400 to really see how this thing competes?

A 36 megapixel camera will not excel at low light, so if you're a low light shooter then a 36 megapixel camera is not the thing to have. However, perhaps it is "good enough" for those of us that mainly shoot base ISO from tripod but occasionally do some casual hand-held shooting. I don't think this is a "wedding photography" camera though.

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/02/07/joy-ride-the-nikon-d800-promo-video-is-out.aspx/ Maybe they just want them to go to videography with it instead? Doesn't look too shabby no? Or would the 5D Mk II have done a better job?

Upvote 0

Attachments

• fingers.jpg
    fingers.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 3,432
Upvote 0

Old Shooter

Never met a gadget I didn't like!
Oct 1, 2011
Ontario, California
torger said:
jrista said:

Exactly! If you look at a Hassy H4D-40 you'll see the ISO range is 100-1600...

Weddings! LOL! How many of you old-timers shot VPS160 exposed at 125 ASA for best negative density? That's why I was always a disciple of fast glass and powerful strobes! ;)

With detail and flesh tones like that, I'm sure this camera will find it's way into many wedding photographer's kits...

Upvote 0
outside of the 36mp, lack of AA filter(on the e version) and video, what exactly makes Nikon users want to upgrade from a D700 to D800. I'm considering switching to Nikon mainly because i'm sick of the Canon autofocus. The D700 is sounding better and better everyday. Any educated Nikon users have a say on this? Obv I will be waiting until after the 5DX to make my decision... I really hope it has the 1DX's AF... should be fun

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
The resolution is stunning, the moire is not an issue here, textures are fine and flawless, detail is impressive - from here there is only 'real life' or a microscope. Just look into the mouth of the cat...
On the ONLY ISO 640 shot (highest I could spot) - the lady with the white veil: while the lit up parties are stunning, the black hair shows quite a big amount of patchy noise (red & green chroma, just like the 5D2 for which I hate it and haven't bought it yet)
Interesting to see how the higher ISO shots get accepted. I mean it's quite ridiculous to give us 90% ISO100 shots to preview. But everything else in these samples is BETTER than all of the Canon DSLRs up till now. Well, interesting times, I am very curious about the reply from Canon to this Nikon product.

Upvote 0
A

Astro

CrimsonBlue said:
I think there is a lot of lighting help in making those photos look good. Great lighting can make even poor photographers look skilled.

lol given that photography is all about lighting your comment makes no sense.

what makes a photographer really good if not his lighting skills?
choosing the right iso, gently pressing the button?

Upvote 0
A

Astro

EchoLocation said:
outside of the 36mp, lack of AA filter(on the e version) and video, what exactly makes Nikon users want to upgrade from a D700 to D800. I'm considering switching to Nikon mainly because i'm sick of the Canon autofocus. The D700 is sounding better and better everyday. Any educated Nikon users have a say on this?

this is a canon forum if you did not notice.. i think you can carry any such nikon discussion to a nikon forum?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.