D800 WILL BE ANNOUNCED IN THE FIRST WEEK OF FEB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
dtaylor said:
JR said:
Why would you say that based on that picture? Unless you are into really large print, you will not see much different between 22MP and 36MP. You will see a big difference however in the better ISO performance from a 5DmkIII for the every day use (hopefully anyway).

This is a misconception. Sensor size and technology level are the primary drivers of high ISO performance, not pixel size. I wouldn't bet on a 5D3 having better high ISO just based on pixel size.

That's not a misconception, that's physics.

All else being equal, larger photo sites collect more light, and will require less amplification at a given ISO setting, producing less noise.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
nicku said:
simonxu11 said:

If the sample is true than the new D800 will destroy the 5Dmk3 ( if the 5d will be a 22MP camera), even if canon will have 1 sop better ISO; 14 MP advantage will make a huge difference.

Hope Canon will go for the 28-32 MP sensor.

I looked at the ISO 6400 sample, with all the NR, there is lost detail, about the same as a 5D MK II at 6400.

I would expect it to have more detail at low ISO, but its not a high ISO camera. It certainly does not blow away a 5D MK II. For $1000 more, I'd pass.

Upvote 0
Jan 5, 2011
nicku said:
If the sample is true than the new D800 will destroy the 5Dmk3 ( if the 5d will be a 22MP camera), even if canon will have 1 sop better ISO; 14 MP advantage will make a huge difference.

Hope Canon will go for the 28-32 MP sensor.

Oh my, people say the silliest things about cameras that are not even released. Not to mention cameras that don't even officially exist yet. ::)

I dunno about most people but I'd take 1 stop better ISO over 14MP any day. Heck, I'd take it over 28mp.

Upvote 0
K

kirillica

bvukich said:
dtaylor said:
JR said:
Why would you say that based on that picture? Unless you are into really large print, you will not see much different between 22MP and 36MP. You will see a big difference however in the better ISO performance from a 5DmkIII for the every day use (hopefully anyway).

This is a misconception. Sensor size and technology level are the primary drivers of high ISO performance, not pixel size. I wouldn't bet on a 5D3 having better high ISO just based on pixel size.

That's not a misconception, that's physics.

All else being equal, larger photo sites collect more light, and will require less amplification at a given ISO setting, producing less noise.

Then go shooting with 20D and 8Mp ;) Why not, if it's physics? lol ;D

Talking pixels, don't forget about pixel's quality, sensitivity and data post-processing. It's not physics, but physics + technology.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.