D850 may pack a hybrid OVF/EVF?!

May 11, 2017
Mt Spokane Photography said:
This seems logical, and will likely be in the next generation of Canon cameras, maybe even in the 7D MK III.

I think its pretty natural to put a high end feature like a hybrid viewfinder in a D850. Mirrorless is a big jump for Canon and Nikon, so a hybrid camera that does both is a logical step.

At this point, it seems like a bigger jump for Nikon than it does for Canon. Canon seems to have much more solid base to build on with the M series, dual pixel technology and touchscreen focussing. Does Nikon have any Phase Detect AF experience in Liveview at all? A hybrid viewfinder might well be a bigger challenge than a straight EVF. Maybe Nikon might head in that direction by moving into closer collaboration with Sony, if Sony is willing to spend money on it.

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
snoke said:
D850 shaping up to be very decent camera! Uncropped 4K (UHD), touchscreen, D5's AF, 45MP (Sony A7R II sensor?). Wow!

<sarcasm>
Outrageous! They are using "old" sensor design from 2015?! How dare they! And old AF system?! Nothing new?! Nikon is doomed, doomed I tell ya! We need innovation! Moar innovation! MOAR EVERYTHING!
</sarcasm>

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
File under 'highly skeptical':

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/27/nikon-d850-first-dslr-hybrid-viewfinder-rumor-says/

- A

Reading through the comments on that post, it looks like the 850 could also be sporting some very fashionable screw holes on the back of the prism hump :)

You know until I looked at that post I never really noticed just how many buttons, switches and levers are on the top end Nikon bodies. I'd get lost with all those different widgets competing for my attention.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Mikehit said:
Apparently Nikon will not have a hybrid EVF after all.

https://nikonrumors.com/

So it's > 8 fps? Hmmm.

I've said this a thousand times, but Canon will regret only stepping the 5D4 up to 7 fps. Since that time, a 6.5 fps 6D2 spec (that no one expected) surfaced, and now we get this D850 news. Let's presume it's accurate for a moment, we'd have:

6D2: 6.5 fps
5D4: 7 fps (I think you can throw the spongey foamy word out here ::))
1DX2: 14/16 fps

And Nikon will be:

D750: 6.5 fps
D850: > 8 fps
D5: 12 fps

...which seems a more intuitive tier-ing of speed. Nikon seems awfully fond of a clearly delineated 'good/better/best' in their FF portfolio.

- A

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
ahsanford said:
Mikehit said:

So it's > 8 fps? Hmmm.

I've said this a thousand times, but Canon will regret only stepping the 5D4 up to 7 fps. Since that time, a 6.5 fps 6D2 spec (that no one expected) surfaced, and now we get this D850 news. Let's presume it's accurate for a moment, we'd have:

And Nikon will be:

...which seems a more intuitive tier-ing of speed. Nikon seems awfully fond of a clearly delineated 'good/better/best' in their FF portfolio.

- A

Canon uses DR as their differentiator. To piss off forum-dwellers and measurebators alike :p

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Khalai said:
ahsanford said:
Mikehit said:

So it's > 8 fps? Hmmm.

And Nikon will be:

- A

Canon uses DR as their differentiator. To piss off forum-dwellers and measurebators alike :p

No ! To make CR much more fun ;)

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2017
ahsanford said:
So it's > 8 fps? Hmmm.

And Nikon will be:

This post funny. Only thing matter is fps. If people obsess about DR are drones, what people who obsess about fps? call them "faps"? (too much fapping!! ;D ;D ) Need work it more.

If want best fps, get Sony A9. Everything is compromise.

Khalai said:

Khalai get it :)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
snoke said:
This post funny. Only thing matter is fps.

No, I'm simply saying that for a 'horsepower spec' (MP / FPS / AF points / 4K) that is used by consumers to crudely bucket/rank the value of a camera, Canon didn't exactly paint the 5D4 with glory, that's all.

It's a cleaner market position if Canon went with:

6D2: 26 MP / 6.5 fps / Good sensor / Good AF

5D4: 30 MP / 7 fps 8-9 fps / Great sensor / Great AF / 4K / Dual Slot

1DX2: 20 MP / 14-16 fps / Great sensor / Great AF / 4K / Dual Slot / Integral Grip / Exclusive 1-Series feature set

But, in fairness, when I made those statements months ago, everyone on this forum expected an on-chip ADC sensor to be in the 6D2 and that (apparently) didn't happen. So perhaps fps-based differentiation with the 6D2 wasn't as vital for the 5D4, because Canon knew the 5D4 would be getting a better sensor.

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
Mikehit said:

So it's > 8 fps? Hmmm.

And Nikon will be:

- A

For what it's worth, I agree on that - it would take a lot for them to convince me there was a good reason for it to not get 8 or 9 FPS. That said, it's likely to be my next body and I don't feel constrained by the 6 FPS on my 5D3, but it was the one surprising weak point of the 4 when I read it.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Mikehit said:
snoke said:
If want best fps, get Sony A9. Everything is compromise.

so remind me what compromise Sony make if I put a 400mm f4 on the A9.

Sony's not making a compromise with that combo -- you are. Adapted AF will not be the same as native AF. It's hard to enjoy 20 fps if your AF is whiffing.

Also: electronic shutter is required for 20 fps. To drop down to the (more-proven) mechanical shutter, you're capped at 5 fps.

The A9 is formidable, don't get me wrong, but it has clauses/rules/exception/strings attached like many other cameras.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
LonelyBoy said:
For what it's worth, I agree on that - it would take a lot for them to convince me there was a good reason for it to not get 8 or 9 FPS. That said, it's likely to be my next body and I don't feel constrained by the 6 FPS on my 5D3, but it was the one surprising weak point of the 4 when I read it.

I get bent out of shape that the 5D4 has less data throughput than a 5DS, something we typically associate with tripod or studio work.

But there is an argument that there's an inflection point fps-wise were Canon has to add another DIGIC chip or put in a much beefier shutter/mirrorbox setup, and (who knows) perhaps 8 fps is that inflection point.

That said, people won't care about that if a D850 cruises in at (say) 8.5-10 fps at 36 MP+ output. Also, the A99 II shows us that 42 MP x 12 fps data can be moved, right? I don't need the 5D4 to go all balls-to-the-wall like Sony has with the A99 II (keep in mind the mirror is fixed in place with an SLT like that), but Canon seems to have held back in fps with the 5D4, either for cost or 'positioning' reasons. ::)

- A

Upvote 0