Date stamps all messed up on R5?

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
UPDATE: It's not the camera. Took a picture, put it into this computer (which is Linux), month advanced, hours got mis-set. Ejected the card, plugged it in and the month incremented again. Put the card back in the camera, took two more pictures, went to my Microshaft Windows box...and the times of day on ALL THREE displayed correctly there. However the month on the first file did stay wrong. So the hour error is some sort of display glitch on LInux, where the time on the card is actually right but being misdisplayed, but the month is being altered somehow.

I suspect the reason the first three files from before didn't change is that I had locked them in the camera to prevent me from deleting them.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I simultaneously record 2 images (L jpeg, L RAW). One is time stamped e.g. 4 p.m. and the other is time stamped 5 p.m. This is a recent occurrence (after 4000 photos). I think this phenomenon is responsible for a very recent file corruption problem as well. (Canon R5, Laptop Lenovo P73, Lexar 128 GB CF Express Card, Pro-Grade Digital Card Reader) One more thing - looking at the time stamp using Windows Explorer yields the 1 hour time difference. Going into Properties/Detail shows the time for both photos to be identical as they should be. Weird.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
I simultaneously record 2 images (L jpeg, L RAW). One is time stamped e.g. 4 p.m. and the other is time stamped 5 p.m. This is a recent occurrence (after 4000 photos). I think this phenomenon is responsible for a very recent file corruption problem as well. (Canon R5, Laptop Lenovo P73, Lexar 128 GB CF Express Card, Pro-Grade Digital Card Reader) One more thing - looking at the time stamp using Windows Explorer yields the 1 hour time difference. Going into Properties/Detail shows the time for both photos to be identical as they should be. Weird.
Silly question but does the onset of Daylight Savings a week or so back correlate with the onset of this issue?

Upvote 0
Silly question but does the onset of Daylight Savings a week or so back correlate with the onset of this issue?
The photos in question were taken before daylight savings time and I noticed the issue today. So I suppose that could be an explanation. But then why does it only affect the jpeg image and not the RAW image? And, why when I look at both files via Properties/Details, the time stamp is identical? It also turns out that I lost about 100 photos via file corruption on a different card just 2 days ago. I have used about every pro camera Canon has made, every card reader, every card type and dozens of laptops over the past 20 years and I have never lost images to file corruption. Now these two things happen within the last 10 days. It could all be a coincidence I suppose. Maybe Covid is spreading to technical devices.

I am not that concerned about the time stamp issue, although it does present some minor problems. But I am really concerned that I had 100 photos on the card and reviewed them on the camera screen. Then when I went to look at them via the laptop, they were gone. And what makes even less sense is that the file recovery program I have says they were never there. I don't use the file recovery program much except to retrieve a file I erroneously deleted, but it can do a deep scan of the disk/card and always finds stuff even if part of it has been overwritten. But in this case, there was no trace of any files.

Last edited:
Upvote 0