Canon R5
Canon Rumors Premium
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Ladislav said:
SecureGSM said:
A friend of mine has recently purchased this tripod on amazon:

http://a.co/j1SFQBs

I can confirm that it is very strong, supports 15kg load, light at 1.5kg, compact and is a well supported product. at $120.00 it is a steal.

I would not hesitate to recommend this tripod to anyone.

there is another one that I have purchased myself just recently. very strong with max. diameter of carbon fibre legs being 28mm and ball head diameter being 36mm, 1.7kg total weight, maximum load 15kg, folded length 46cm:

https://www.amazon.com/Andoer-Lightweight-Foldable-Portable-Monopod/dp/B01EWD76GQ

https://www.amazon.com/Andoer-Lightweight-Foldable-Portable-Monopod/dp/B01EWD76GQ#customerReviews

I have Neewer macro focus rail and it is very low quality - it is a toy grade gadget. I would not invest $120 to their tripod. Also maximum load of tripod and head doesn't say anything about tripod shake with longer lenses. I have a very good carbon Manfrotto tripod but when fully extended, I must use at least 10s delayed shutter with 300mm lens when using slow shutter speed. It still claims about 12kg max load. No such problem with much bigger Gitzo 3 series.

Neewer has some gadgets that aren't bad. For example, they have a nice 2.4GHz remote trigger, and their field monitor is passable (certainly for the price). Their softboxes work as long as you don't need to put them up and take them down regularly, or care about transport weight/size (translation: I wouldn't want one...).

However, if you're going to spend money on a tripod, buy the right one, and buy a good one. It's worth it, if you do any tripod work. I haven't seen this specific Neewer tripod,but I've seen several others, and they all have similar issues -

- The ball head is usually junk, with minimal control and terrible smoothness. There is no feeling of fluidity at all.
- The parts like the locks (at the top), clamps at the bottom (this one has twist instead), grip, and hook on the post just fall apart after moderate use.
- The feet fall off.

And, of course, there are no convenience features like a pivoting center column. Specific to this one, there is no way I would trust so light a tripod if a requirement is for a heavy head and camera/lens. There is NO WAY ON EARTH I would put a 15 kilogram camera on there. That's a ridiculous claim.

Really, about 6-7KG is the maximum I would ever put on ANY 4 section travel tripod, and the vast majority will make you feel like it's not only unstable, but dangerous. Most of these have spindly, thin, light legs, and putting any heavy lens on there will give it just too much flex.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
oops, how about this one here? :D

seems to be 4 section portable travel tripod and rated for 25lbs.:

https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=20499.msg387490#msg387490

"... The Really Right Stuff TQC-14 is their 'travel tripod', the lightest and weakest one they make. It's rated for 25 lbs. That load capacity might, just might, be a bit conservative...."

(c) Neuro

Talys said:
Really, about 6-7KG is the maximum I would ever put on ANY 4 section travel tripod, and the vast majority will make you feel like it's not only unstable, but dangerous. Most of these have spindly, thin, light legs, and putting any heavy lens on there will give it just too much flex.

Attachments

• TQC-Joe-1024x656.jpg
    TQC-Joe-1024x656.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 150
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
Canon Rumors Premium
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
SecureGSM said:

"... The Really Right Stuff TQC-14 is their 'travel tripod', the lightest and weakest one they make. It's rated for 25 lbs. That load capacity might, just might, be a bit conservative...."

(c) Neuro

Talys said:

Nice one :D RRS has really nice tripods, no doubt about it.

A couple of things, though: It looks like Neuro only has it extended to 3 sections. Now obviously it would handle 25lbs (which is a little under 10kg I think?) fully extended. I don't think the Neewer tripod will handle 50% more than the RRS :D

I have a Vanguard 4-section (the heavy one that they make) which I actually use as a 3-section with my Sigma 150-600 on the go without any problems. It works for me because I'm not so tall anyways :D And I use the large Manfrotto ball head that adds a lot of height, especially when you add in a lens ring mount too. When it's extended to the 4th extension, I just don't feel good about stepping away from it. Part of it may also be balance, because most of the travel tripods are lighter, and I'm afraid a small bump will cost me thousands of dollars.

Who knows, maybe it's just me!

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Talys,

let me share some experience with you:

My best and strongest tripod is Vanguard ABEO Plus 363CB:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/896075-REG/Vanguard_abeo_plus_363cb_ABEO_363CB_3_Sec.html

3 sections, 16kg load capacity (according to Vanguard) , legs are 36mm thick.
My guess is that your tripod is ABEO Plus 364CB - 4 section version, same loading capacity of 16kg :)

I use it in studio and if I need to support my heaviest lens (3.8kg).
Load capacity of this tripod is heavily underrated by the Manufacturer. with 36mm thick legs it will support 24kg, no worries at all. It extends up to 2m high. I can hang myself of this tripod, the thingy would not care a slightest bit. It is 80cm long collapsed and 3.5 - 4.0 kg heavy. Not a hike friendly, way too large.

the tripod I have recently ordered has not arrived yet, but I used my friends new Neewer 67" carbon for a load test. legs on that one is only 25mm thick. pretty normal for the CF tripod of claimed 15kg of MAXIMUM capacity.
Outcomes: it holds the weight of my 5d III, L-Bracket and Sigma 120-300 F2.8 Sports with hood (5kg all together approx.) and feels solid. now, sigma lens is quite long so lens shake is very noticeable. As I said - up to 7-8kg this new Neewer is good to go. not 15kg though, No.

on the other hand, the one that I have ordered for myself, comes with stronger legs - 28mm and much much stronger ball head. (45mm ball head) and is rated by manufacturer to support 20kg.

the reality is that all this knock off ballheads are rubbish. I bought the tripod for US$150.00 and am palnning to replace the supplied ball head with a good quality Sirui 20kg rated one.

Talys said:
SecureGSM said:

(c) Neuro

Talys said:

Nice one :D RRS has really nice tripods, no doubt about it.

A couple of things, though: It looks like Neuro only has it extended to 3 sections. Now obviously it would handle 25lbs (which is a little under 10kg I think?) fully extended. I don't think the Neewer tripod will handle 50% more than the RRS :D

I have a Vanguard 4-section (the heavy one that they make) which I actually use as a 3-section with my Sigma 150-600 on the go without any problems. It works for me because I'm not so tall anyways :D And I use the large Manfrotto ball head that adds a lot of height, especially when you add in a lens ring mount too. When it's extended to the 4th extension, I just don't feel good about stepping away from it. Part of it may also be balance, because most of the travel tripods are lighter, and I'm afraid a small bump will cost me thousands of dollars.

Who knows, maybe it's just me!

Upvote 0
scottkinfw said:
Mefoto or Benro make lightweight tripods that fold up to be small. I would go for the heavy duty version.

However, I think when it comes to tripods, it is worth spending money on a very good one. Don't want the camera/lens taking a fall.

RRS has some in the $700 range, and you would be well advised to consider the stability for the camera gear as well as the shot, as well as noted previously, the future.

Have fun

Scott

+1 on the Benro;

They have a good range of affordable tripods. In some reviews they are called "chinese Gitzo clones" - at least I'm happy with mine. Something to consider for Christmas ;)

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
cayenne said:
RGF said:
after years of using Gitzo tripods I purchased a RRS. $$$$. Not in your price range but a wonderfully engineered item.

I also have used RRS heads and Acratech ball heads. Tried two, one was a disaster in my hands (probably my fault) the other was okay. In the end I decided the $$$ for RRS ball heads are worth the price.

I know not in your price range but if in the future you have the $, I think they are worth the extra.

My wife's series 2 tripod had a loose leg after about 2 years. I sent the tripod back to RRS and they repaired it and did a general service.

Yeah, I was about to recommend RRS tripod (and ball heads) myself, but then I saw the price limitations.

I started out with cheapo manfrotto sticks in the $200-$300 range. I've repurposed those for dedicated video tripods, as well as one that holds my kessler motion controlled slider.

The RRS stuff is amazing, and worth saving up for in the long run.

C

Upvote 0
RGF said:
after years of using Gitzo tripods I purchased a RRS. $$$$. Not in your price range but a wonderfully engineered item.

I also have used RRS heads and Acratech ball heads. Tried two, one was a disaster in my hands (probably my fault) the other was okay. In the end I decided the $$$ for RRS ball heads are worth the price.

I know not in your price range but if in the future you have the $, I think they are worth the extra.

+1!

Like many photographers, I started out cheap and quickly started on the upgrade path. Last winter I purchased a RRS TVC-33 tripod and later added a RRS BH-55 ball head. It was a massive upgrade over my previous equipment! My teen aged son is just starting out in photography and my advice to him is to put a quality tripod and ball head at the top of his list of new equipment purchases.

Upvote 0