Disney Bans Selfie Sticks in its Theme Parks

AcutancePhotography said:
that1guyy said:
Ban them on the rides not the park itself. I don't use them myself but it seems wrong to ban them outright.

How are is the park officials going to ban sticks on the rides, when it is allowed to carry them in the park? It is not like they are going to stop the ride in the middle.

This is another case of a subgroup of people ruining it for everyone else. If people could use selfie sticks responsibly, there probably would not be a problem with them.

When making public safety policy, you have to put it at the lowest denominator. Anyone who works in the safety industry understand just how low that denominator is when dealing with the public.

Spot on!

Sadly because we have stupid people we need lots of "stupid" rules to deal with them.

Upvote 0
Roo said:
maybe they should have some selfie stick only rides at the end of the day then there's a good chance of removing some stupidity from the gene pool without inconveniencing others;D

Stupid people tend to sue corporations. Stupid people often don't like to take responsibility for the results of their stupidity.

Families of stupid people tend not to want to accept that their family member was, in fact, stupid, and will sue also.

I see stupid people. They are all around us. They don't even know they are stupid. ;D

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Roo said:
maybe they should have some selfie stick only rides at the end of the day then there's a good chance of removing some stupidity from the gene pool without inconveniencing others;D

Stupid people tend to sue corporations. Stupid people often don't like to take responsibility for the results of their stupidity.

Families of stupid people tend not to want to accept that their family member was, in fact, stupid, and will sue also.

I see stupid people. They are all around us. They don't even know they are stupid. ;D
somebody in Maine mounted a fireworks cannon to their head on July 4.... and when it went off it killed them.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2015/07/05/maine-man-dies-motor-tube-explosion/5drhYj3rwDuk01GeG8tbkI/story.html

This tells us several things....

Stupid people walk among us....
Despite being stupid, you can still be creative and innovative....
a mixture of beer and explosives can be deadly....
a selfie with a Cannon is not the same as a selfie with a Canon....

and a quote from the man's brother: "Devon was not the kind of person who would do something stupid" indicates that stupidity may be genetic.....

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
This is another case of a subgroup of people ruining it for everyone else. If people could use selfie sticks responsibly, there probably would not be a problem with them.

When making public safety policy, you have to put it at the lowest denominator. Anyone who works in the safety industry understand just how low that denominator is when dealing with the public.

Yup. Exactly why I'm hesitant buying drone, because I think too many idiots use them "wrong", and at some point they'll ban them completely. Don't want to end up paying several thousands for drone if next week it might be illegal to fly at all.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Did the explosive mortar have a warning, informing the customer that they should not put an explosive mortar on their heads and light it?

Clearly, the company was at fault as was the person who sold the fireworks. Sue them all!!! :eek:
This is the problem with idiots... they will think of things that no smart person would think of, so how can you have a disclaimer?

CAUTION! Do not attach explosives to your head and detonate them.....

CAUTION! Do not stand on roof of car while driving at highway speed....

CAUTION! Do not steal grocery carts and ride down steep hills in them.....

CAUTION! Do not cover your children's hands with peanut butter to get pictures of wild bears licking them....

CAUTION! Do not ask friend (particularly those with zero archery skill) to shoot the apple off of your head.....

and unfortunately, the next disclaimer does exist... in the bulk nuts bins at my local grocery store...

Peanuts. CAUTION! This product may contain peanuts!

Upvote 0
I was up in Disneyland and California Adventure parks at the end of May and every man and his dog was carrying a selfie stick.

It was unreal to see the amount of people with them, and every store was selling them all over the place. Must be a massive business selling them.

I took my Go Pro on my wrist mount and used it on the rides, great footage, but I can uderstand fully why they won't let you on a ride with the sticks.

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
somebody in Maine mounted a fireworks cannon to their head on July 4.... and when it went off it killed them.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2015/07/05/maine-man-dies-motor-tube-explosion/5drhYj3rwDuk01GeG8tbkI/story.html
Sounds like we have an excellent candidate for this years' Darwin Award ::)

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
This is the problem with idiots... they will think of things that no smart person would think of, so how can you have a disclaimer?

When I was in the Military in EOD our tech manuals all had a repeated safety warning

"Do not eat or ingest high explosives"

We wondered why this would be needed. It is kinda self-evident that high explosives are made of toxic chemicals.....

Until one of our young troops decided to eat and ingest some high explosives. We had to put in a special order for extra facepalms for that one.

Unfortunately, the troop survived and probably procreated by now.

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Don Haines said:
distant.star said:
tpatana said:
Well, most of us carry a device in our pocket that's smaller than a cigarette box, battery powered and would have been considered super computer some 30 years ago, capable of accessing all the information in the world.

The character, Virgil, in the 1974 movie "The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz" said it best...

"That's a falsehood."

I used to use the UNB mainframe.... at one time it was the third most powerful computer in Canada.... It processed 32 bit instructions at one million instructions per second and had 200 Megabytes of online disk and tape storage.... that's not enough computing power to play an mpeg song....

The most powerful computer in Canada was a Cray 1 supercomputer.... 64 bit processor and capable of executing 80 MILLION instructions per second.... and it had 8 Megabytes of memory! It only weighed in at 11,000 pounds and sucked back 120 amps 3-phase at 600 volts/phase..... now THAT was a computer!

My ipad has a 3 core 64 bit processor that runs at 1.5Ghz, 6 Megabytes of on-chip cache.... and an 8 core GPU thrown in as well.... and 128Gbytes of storage.... over 100 times the computing power of that Cray 1 super-computer.... 16,000 times as much memory.... and it's a phone.... and it's a camera.... and it runs all day on battery..... and yes, you have access to all the info in the world.....

And yet, the cray might still run circles around it doing the job it was intended for. Iiphone and the like is fast because its ultra specialized, the cray could do math at crazy speeds. I remember when we got ours for aerodynamic computations and simulations.

I tool programming lessons on a pdp 8, throwing switches to set the program into the memory, and then learning to do a bootstrap loader to load the program via punched tape from a teletype machine. My first computer was a Atari 400 that I bought for my son, but used it myself too. When the IBM PC's came out, I bought a clone and learned that Dos was basically a Unix clone. Then next PC I built myself, and did that for many more years. At one early point, our not so computer savy boss bought a hundred or so HP150 pc's, intending to run them from a HP mini computer that he also bought. It was a disaster, but he did not have money left to buy software for the individual machines. Eventually, we talked him into buying Macs and PC's. We managed to get a Lisa which was a beautiful machine and precursor to the Macintosh.
Ah yes.... the good old days... toggling in the bootstrap loader on a pdp 8.... paper tapes, OMR's, keypunches... wire-wrapping high density memory cards with 2102's.... programming in machine language... My friend, we are getting old...

BTW, my TRS-80 pocket computer still works.... if only I could get photoshop to run on it......

That would be Photoshop C 1982 ("C" for Cassette)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Although I don't use one, I'm wondering why they make a distinction between cameras, camra phones, and selfie sticks. It is yet another senseless rule. People can do the same with smartphones and get the same results.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/disney-bans-selfie-sticks-in-its-theme-parks-062615.html

The selfie stick actually holds the cell phone / smart phone out and away from the subject to take the selfie. The stick itself is not a camera. It is sort of a monopod or boom cell camera holder for the self-absorbed.

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
Did the explosive mortar have a warning, informing the customer that they should not put an explosive mortar on their heads and light it?

Clearly, the company was at fault as was the person who sold the fireworks. Sue them all!!! :eek:

CAUTION! Do not attach explosives to your head and detonate them.....

CAUTION! Do not stand on roof of car while driving at highway speed....

CAUTION! Do not steal grocery carts and ride down steep hills in them.....

CAUTION! Do not cover your children's hands with peanut butter to get pictures of wild bears licking them....

CAUTION! Do not ask friend (particularly those with zero archery skill) to shoot the apple off of your head.....

and unfortunately, the next disclaimer does exist... in the bulk nuts bins at my local grocery store...

Peanuts. CAUTION! This product may contain peanuts!

Common sense isn't.
Nothing is foolproof, fools are so ingenious.

Upvote 0