Do you need an RF portrait lens on a budget? Consider the Samyang AF 85mm f/1.4

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
I had it and the EF 85 1.4 is so much better. Sharper, quicker and is a tank compared. The Samyang did what it was supposed to do though. No IS like noted before, but it is a lens you can use without an adapter so that does count for something.

For me the IS and sharpness where deciding factors as I get those two factors on my Eos R given there’s no Ibis.

It’s also a weird quirk but I don’t like the way the lens bulges out either but that is purely preference, but when I grab it by the lens the EF feels better. I’m also not a fan of the 1.2, mostly the size and shift of the element. But that bad boy is beautiful. Just not $3k beautiful

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ctk

Refurb EOS R Kit
Mar 25, 2020
I agree with this! The reputable lens reviewers on YouTube, Dustin Abbot and Chris Frost rate this lens highly in all departments.

Value for money is fantastic and it’s so light compared to the EF and RF versions.

No IS but if your going to mount this to the latest EOS bodies with IBIS at least you have stabilisation from the body. Equally their AF 14 2.8 RF lens also gets fabulous reviews.

Very reasonably priced lenses performing way above their price level must be good news for the RF mount.
Actually I've heard IBIS doesn't work with this on the R5/R6. People have had very mixed experiences with this on those bodies. They work great on the gen 1 bodies but I would wait for a FW update if you have a newer body.

I had a lot of Samyang lenses on Sony and the QC is very mixed. When they work they are really really good. But I have a 60% success rate with them. They're getting better and better but they're not quite there yet. I would wait for the Canon 85/2 honestly.

Upvote 0
Reminds me of "Yugo" of lenses. Gets the job done' although not the best of the best. But for people on a cheap budget, this is a nice cheap option to brandish on your body.

Dustin Abbott showed Tamron's 85mm to have better contrast, and although the Samyang may be a spec sharper in corners, I think the Tamron is a far better value with both VC/IS and AF in a light lens. I have the RF 85mm 1.2 and plan to add a spare. Probably the Tamron 85 or Canon's upcoming 85mm f/2 macro

But I've had the Tamron before ---- no accident Abbott includes the words "Zeiss Otus" on his review page for the Tamron:

https://dustinabbott.net/2016/05/tamron-sp-85mm-f1-8-di-vc-usd-review/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Reminds me of a "Yugo" of lenses. Gets the job done' although not the best of the best. But for people on a cheap budget, this is a nice cheap option to brandish on your body.
LOL! I bought a Yugo from a dealer in Nashville back in 1991 for $725 out the door. Even at that price, he couldn't sell the things. He just wanted to get out of business with them. I think the car lasted about 8 months. The lens is better than a Yugo. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I bought the lens a couple of weeks ago and it performs remarkably. A HUGE leap forward in autofocus consistency from my Canon EF 85 1.8 and effective no chromatic aberrations to speak of. I will say that my lens does have to do some hunting to lock focus on my RP - but that may actually be a problem with the camera, which I will be sending to the factory for repairs once my R5 comes in.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
LOL! I bought a Yugo from a dealer in Nashville back in 1991 for $725 out the door. Even at that price, he couldn't sell the things. He just wanted to get out of business with them. I think the car lasted about 8 months. The lens is better than a Yugo. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Why do Yugos come with rear window defrosters?

To keep your hands warm while you push them.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Canonite

EOS R5
Dec 19, 2013
I bought the lens a couple of weeks ago and it performs remarkably. A HUGE leap forward in autofocus consistency from my Canon EF 85 1.8 and effective no chromatic aberrations to speak of. I will say that my lens does have to do some hunting to lock focus on my RP - but that may actually be a problem with the camera, which I will be sending to the factory for repairs once my R5 comes in.
It should be, as the 85. f1.8 was introduced in 1993 tech has changed. :)

Upvote 0
I have one optically it is wonderful, it is sharp, no issues with auto focus speed. Correct no ibis on my R5 I do hope that gets fixed, even with the cost of having to buy a dongle to make firmware upgrades it will still come out way cheaper than the canon. My guess the insides have more plastic bushings etc and it won’t last 30 years like a canon lens might but if you take care of the lens It will get the job done . Would be nice if it focused closer but neither does the canon.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
As for that aforementioned Tammy, I owned one for a while, it was very sharp through and through, had great color and contrast and AF'd reasonably well. It was however not inexpensive and weighed nearly as much as a 24-70 2.8 zoom. I loved the shots, hated lugging it.

I would like to point out that the cons you mention to a much larger degree apply to the Canon 85L options.

I own all the Canon EF and RF 85 options, as well as the Tamron 85 f1.8. I think the Tamron is a stellar performer, apart from its AF, which is just about acceptable. The RF 85 f1.2 is without a doubt the top performer, though.

Upvote 0