Do you need an RF portrait lens on a budget? Consider the Samyang AF 85mm f/1.4

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I bought the lens a couple of weeks ago and it performs remarkably. A HUGE leap forward in autofocus consistency from my Canon EF 85 1.8 and effective no chromatic aberrations to speak of. I will say that my lens does have to do some hunting to lock focus on my RP - but that may actually be a problem with the camera, which I will be sending to the factory for repairs once my R5 comes in.
I have really been considering this lens as a possible band aid until better times when I can get RF again. Good to read your positive experience.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I have really been considering this lens as a possible band aid until better times when I can get RF again. Good to read your positive experience.
Here’s a quick example of what it can do. Mind you this is without eye autofocus on a fast-moving squirrel that basically came up to the edge of the minimum focus distance hoping I had a snack for him in mid-day sun on a virtually cloudless day. Also this is just a screenshot on my phone of the original image so zooming in will not be that effective haha.

Attachments

• 323CBED3-891F-45BE-96BA-D80AE84B8029.png
    323CBED3-891F-45BE-96BA-D80AE84B8029.png
    2 MB · Views: 239
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Here’s a quick example of what it can do. Mind you this is without eye autofocus on a fast-moving squirrel that basically came up to the edge of the minimum focus distance hoping I had a snack for him in mid-day sun on a virtually cloudless day. Also this is just a screenshot on my phone of the original image so zooming in will not be that effective haha.
I don't consider this a great photo I shot it just to test the bokeh of this lens but this is another sample it is also just a screen shot

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 6.55.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 6.55.22 PM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 242
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I own the Sony FE version of this lens, which is identical except for the mount, and it's such a good performer for the price. I'm sure the RF 85/1.2L is a little better, but this lens is a very high quality optic. Quite sharp from wide open, lovely rendering, quick autofocus. I'm going to nab the RF 85/2 for my Canon system, but if I ever consolidate my kits to Canon only, I will almost certainly snag the RF version of the Samyang. It's a great lens.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I have the Samyang 85mm f/1.2 XP with an adaptor and that has to be one of the best lenses I've ever used (I am currently using it on my Canon R5). The level of clarity and sharpness is incredible. with the adaptor and the built-in tech allows me to use face detection (on both people and animals) with the manual assist built into the R5. I am still considering getting the Samyang 85 f/1.4 RF lens since it has weather sealing and autofocus, but I am hearing mixed reviews about it, since it's not able to take advantage of the Canon R5's IBIS system. So can anyone with a Canon R5 please provide me with some assistance with this one. How is it working overall, I have heard on different forms that the AF isn't good and people missing a ton of shots. I have also heard complaints about the lens not being able to take advantage of IBIS, and some other issues as well! please let me know.
I have one and have had zero issues with the autofocus. It does not work with the IBIS apparently that is supposed to be fixed with a firmware update but for the way I use the lens as a portrait lens, it has not really been an issue for me. In real world situations it has been nothing but great not regretting buying it over the canon 1.2. It is my first Samyang lens and I could not be more pleased with the image quality, to be honest, the only issue I have had is the IBIS. I have shot professionally as my only income for over 30 years and this paired with the R5 may be my all-time favorite portrait camera/lens combo.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
I bought my EF 85mm f/1.8 seven years ago and in that time its been my second most used lens. But looking to improve bokeh and reduce CA, I looked to the Samyang. However, the response I got from the New Zealand distributer was:
"Unfortunately, all [Samyang] Canon RF mount lenses are now end of line. We are no longer able to order them in."

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
I bought my EF 85mm f/1.8 seven years ago and in that time its been my second most used lens. But looking to improve bokeh and reduce CA, I looked to the Samyang. However, the response I got from the New Zealand distributer was:
"Unfortunately, all [Samyang] Canon RF mount lenses are now end of line. We are no longer able to order them in."
Any chance you can find one under the Rokinon name? FWIW, it's still on the Rokinon website:

Upvote 0
the whole thing has been odd they have not been on the market for that long. I have heard it was a dispute with Canon and I also heard it had to do with supply chain issues and they were not selling enough to justify production. No official word from Rokinon or Samyang. My biggest concern if you can find one of the lenses is if they will continue to support them as canon updates firmware. The latest firmware update did not affect my 85mm RF 1.4 Samyang lens but no idea if future firmware issues might.

Upvote 0
FYI I sent the US Rokinon info email a question about the 14mmRF lens and got this response today. It doesn't really answer any questions.

At this time production has stopped for the 14mm AF for Canon RF, unfortunately I don't have any additional information on whether or not production will start again or if there will a replacement released.

I'm sorry I didn't have the information you were looking for, please let me know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Thanks,
The Rokinon Team

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
Thanks for your responses jd7 and RBSphoto. Rokinon is not available here in New Zealand and I don't want to buy offshore. My Samyang 14/2.8 was very sharp but the focus locked after a couple of months and was replaced quickly under the warranty. I don't want to have to deal with someone offshore.
I've come to the conclusion that, while this is an excellent, cost-effective lens, how long will it remain functional in the face of future camera firmware updates. A good friend had issues with a Sigma Art lens (35/1.4, I think) and with a Tamron 70-200/2.8 when she bought an R6. These problems were resolved with lens firmware updates. But how long will Samyang / Rokinon continue to support this lens????
Might have to stick with the EF 85/1.8 for a while as the RF 85/2 doesn't appear to offer that much more than the EF, the 85/1.2 are too expensive and bulky. Not sure I want to invest in a new EF 85/1.4.

Upvote 0