DXO finally re-tests EF lenses on the 5DS R

Bennymiata said:
Another reason the same lens (Sigma etc) might have more vignetting on the Canon compared to a Nikon may be because Canons have a greater flange distance than Nikons have and certainly much more than FF mirrorless cameras.

Correct, if the exit glass of the lens is smaller or more distant for the same size then more vignetting is likely.

Edit:

checking : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance

Canon 44.0mm
Nikon 46.5mm

so nikon has more distance.. I don't know about the exit glass diameter though.
/Edit

PhotographyFirst said:
rfdesigner said:
The madness continues even when you compare canon to canon

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EF-100mm-F2-USM-on-Canon-EOS-5DS-R-versus-Canon-EF-85mm-F12L-USM-on-Canon-EOS-5DS-R-versus-Canon-EF-135mm-F2L-USM-on-Canon-EOS-5DS-R__798_1009_940_1009_630_1009

I'm very happy with my 100 f2.0 but is better than both the 135L and 85L? I don't think so! :eek:

There's also so much they don't measure at all, so no one should take any of their ratings as worth more than the pixels they're written with, the underlying data has always seemed fairly genuine though.
Wait. WTF?

The overall score makes absolutely no sense there. They must have messed up with their calculation or something. How can the 100 f2 be worse or equal in every category, yet be rated higher than the 135 f2?

Man, I feel sort of sorry for any sap who buys lenses based on any DXO score. I guess lazy people get what they deserve sometimes, eh? :) Still nothing beats just looking at full resolution sample photos of the lens you are interested in.

At first I thought price might have an influence.. the 100 f2.0 does score well on bang for buck.. but then the 50f1.8STM ought to be best of all lenses, and it isn't.

So DxO scores are simply numbers plucked out of the ether.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
Hi,
Bennymiata said:
Another reason the same lens (Sigma etc) might have more vignetting on the Canon compared to a Nikon may be because Canons have a greater flange distance than Nikons have and certainly much more than FF mirrorless cameras.
Canon had shorter flange focal distance than Nikon... you can mount Nikon lens on Canon body with an adapter and will work, but not the other way round.

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0
For a Sigma or other 3rd party lens, the flange distance doesn't make any difference. The optical formula still has the elements in the same positions and sizes between camera brands. It just mounts at a different position.

The vignetting variation is most likely due to the sensors themselves. Which is interesting, because I never thought there was much difference in that regard.

Upvote 0
PhotographyFirst said:
For a Sigma or other 3rd party lens, the flange distance doesn't make any difference. The optical formula still has the elements in the same positions and sizes between camera brands. It just mounts at a different position.

The vignetting variation is most likely due to the sensors themselves. Which is interesting, because I never thought there was much difference in that regard.

Hmm. But surely it does. In the same way the different micro lenses might affect it, in terms of how they alter the path of the light, then the distance from the sensor will affect where the light falls?

Would comparing vignette on a 5d lens, with somewhat different sensor tech to a 1dx with the same lens, show how much the sensor does contribute?

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
Stu_bert said:
PhotographyFirst said:

Hmm. But surely it does. In the same way the different micro lenses might affect it, in terms of how they alter the path of the light, then the distance from the sensor will affect where the light falls?

Would comparing vignette on a 5d lens, with somewhat different sensor tech to a 1dx with the same lens, show how much the sensor does contribute?
Read this technical piece by Brandon from Lensrentals:
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=26782.msg529529#msg529529

Upvote 0