DXOMark: Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II Tested

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Antono Refa said:
ExodistPhotography said:
So while the new 24-105 II may still be overkill for a 13x19 A3+ print. Its not up to the professional level we all expect from a L lens, kit or not.

And your expectations from L lenses are based on... Canon official publication? Pulled it out of your a..hhmm, hat?

Could Canon have done better here? Yes.

Could they have done *much* better here? I'm less sure about that.

This could be more a matter of physics than Canon's desire to keep things inexpensive. Consider: I'm not aware of a clearly much better 4.5x FL zoom lens out there. From what I've read, both 24-105 Ls are not markedly different resolution-wise than the 70-300L (4.3x), and only the 100-400L II (in fairness, a 4.0x lens, not a 4.5x) is a real positive standout.

I'm not giving Canon a pass here -- new products should do new things for us, and this one (largely) doesn't. But perhaps making an eye popping 24-105L II would have required a massive redesign and increase in size and weight that Canon didn't see the value in.

- A

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
ahsanford said:
I'm not giving Canon a pass here -- new products should do new things for us

Those are *your* *expectations*, not an ISO standard, Canon promise, or dictionary definition.

Canon is out there to make money. If there's money in refreshing a kit lens, Canon will do that. If there's no money in making a kit lens that's up to A2+ prints, Canon will not do that.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Antono Refa said:
ahsanford said:
I'm not giving Canon a pass here -- new products should do new things for us

Those are *your* *expectations*, not an ISO standard, Canon promise, or dictionary definition.

Canon is out there to make money. If there's money in refreshing a kit lens, Canon will do that. If there's no money in making a kit lens that's up to A2+ prints, Canon will not do that.

Agree completely. Now flip what you just said and consider our perspective. If Canon continues to make products that principally only benefit Canon, we as consumers will likely keep our money in our pockets.

Just as an example, could you imagine the thud heard round the world if the 6D2 was simply a same-priced rehash of the 6D1 whose only difference was that it was cheaper for Canon to build?

- A

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The problem that I have with much of this discussion, is that it is taking place in a world that seems divorced from the realities and limitations of design/price.

Count me as one of those who uses the 24-105 as a basic all-around lens. I was excited to learn about an update and had high hopes for improvements, even though I can't say that I've ever been let down by the current lens.

Initially, I was disappointed with the reviews. Then, I compared this lens to other models. The conclusion, supported by reviews, is that no competitor makes a better lens (neither Sigma's "Art" lens nor Nikon's slightly longer version).

As I've written before, I am one of those who would have paid 50% to 100% more for a significantly improved lens. But, I have concluded that Canon couldn't (nor could anyone else) design a better lens for a reasonable increase in price.

I imagine that designing a lens that goes from wide-angle to telephoto is more complicated than designing one that remains at telephoto or wide-angle. I don't think it has all that much to do with the actual range (although certainly wide range lenses are more challenging) as it does with having to move from wide to tele. 24-70 is obviously easier to design and produce, but can hardly be deemed telephoto.

So, yeah, I have no problem with people expressing some disappointment, but that ought to be tempered with reality. It would be one thing if Sigma, Nikon, Tamron, Tokina, Sony or Fuji made a demonstrably better version of this lens, but the reality is no such version exists.

At the same time, I think it's misleading to simply declare that this is a "kit" lens and therefore expectations should be reduced. It is also an "L" lens and Canon has an unstated rule that "L" versions are the best available version. So, yeah, as customers we should demand and expect the best. But, as customers, we should also recognize that best does not always mean perfect.

Upvote 0
unfocused said:

So, yeah, I have no problem with people expressing some disappointment, but that ought to be tempered with reality. It would be one thing if Sigma, Nikon, Tamron, Tokina, Sony or Fuji made a demonstrably better version of this lens, but the reality is no such version exists.

At the same time, I think it's misleading to simply declare that this is a "kit" lens and therefore expectations should be reduced. It is also an "L" lens and Canon has an unstated rule that "L" versions are the best available version. So, yeah, as customers we should demand and expect the best. But, as customers, we should also recognize that best does not always mean perfect.

The 24-105 f/4 IS II launch brings to mind another launch that wasn't an unqualified success: the 24-70 f/4 IS. Neither can match the IQ of the 24-70 f/2.8 II, and I think the initial price was a large part of the issue. The 24-70 f/4 IS started around 1500, and the 24-105 f/4 IS started at 1100 even as part of a kit. Early adopters pay a premium. Wait a year or two, and the street prices fall significantly, especially for kit/white box versions. Once the price of the 240-105 f/4 IS II falls within 100 of the original, few will be opting for the older version (gain in IS is worth more than a slight increase in weight). However, I am surprised at not seeing the variable aperture 24-105 replace the L version in kits... If Canon had done that, then I could have seen a higher priced/grade 24-105 f/4 IS II.

However, not all Ls are at the same standard. Price has a lot to do with it. All the 70-200 variants and the 16-16-35 variants/17-40 being available new suggest that Canon understands this. Kits have tremendous downward price pressure, which is why 24-70 f/2.8 II is not offered. A kit lens has to be profitable even if the price of the kit is reduced substantially. That is design/manufacturing requirement that many L lenses don't have to meet.

Upvote 0