EF 100/2.8L IS Macro or Sigma AF 105/2.8 DG OS EX HSM Macro

I wonder if someone can give advice on a lens decision. I'm looking for a Macro Lens to use on my R5.
I would use it mainly in my garden (or around) just for Macro and maybe some portraits.
I can get the Sigma 105 for half the money of the EF 100.
Does anyone have experience or even a side by side comparison?
Are there any downsides? OS? AF? Firmware updates?
Thanks for your advice!

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I don't have experience with the Sigma 105 OS, but I do have experience with the Sigma 150 OS and the EF100L. I was never very happy with the OS in the 150 and on the R5 it doesn't work well with IBIS. Most of the time I get sharper pictures with the OS (and as a consequence IBIS) off.

With my copy of the EF100L I had similar issues, the IS seemed to work a lot better on my RP than on my R5. I have had a few people mention the same issues, but >99% of the EF100L+R5 users don't seem to notice it.

My copy of the Sigma 150 is very, very sharp. Even with a Sigma 1.4x teleconverter it is sharper than my copy of the EF100L. I expect the Sigma 105 to be the same.

I haven't noticed any issues with AF, but at macro distances AF on the R5 isn't as amazing as it is for normal distances, regardless of the lens used. I don't think there will be a big difference between the Canon and the Sigma.

I haven't tried the faster drive modes, it could be that the R5 will limit the fps on the Sigma. The Sigma predates the Global Vision line, so it has no firmware updates available. The EF100L is from 2009, which predates the introduction of downloadable firmware updates in 2012. So with both lenses you are stuck if there's an issue.

I didn't like the EF100L on the R5. So much so, that I sold it and bought the RF100L. I don't think the RF is worth the price, but I am back to enjoying using the 100mm instead of hating it :)

Personally, I would lean towards the Sigma 105 and use it with OS disabled if it would give me issues. But I also realize that encountering, on the whole intetnet, only 2 other people seeing the same issues with coordinated IS on the R5 makes me an outlier. Both lenses are good macro lenses, the EF100L integrates better into the ecosystem with things like lens corrections. The Sigma will likely show onion rings in the EVF till you disable peripheral illumination correction.

I don't think there's a wrong choice in your dilemma :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I don't have experience with the Sigma 105 OS, but I do have experience with the Sigma 150 OS and the EF100L. I was never very happy with the OS in the 150 and on the R5 it doesn't work well with IBIS. Most of the time I get sharper pictures with the OS (and as a consequence IBIS) off.

With my copy of the EF100L I had similar issues, the IS seemed to work a lot better on my RP than on my R5. I have had a few people mention the same issues, but >99% of the EF100L+R5 users don't seem to notice it.

My copy of the Sigma 150 is very, very sharp. Even with a Sigma 1.4x teleconverter it is sharper than my copy of the EF100L. I expect the Sigma 105 to be the same.

I haven't noticed any issues with AF, but at macro distances AF on the R5 isn't as amazing as it is for normal distances, regardless of the lens used. I don't think there will be a big difference between the Canon and the Sigma.

I haven't tried the faster drive modes, it could be that the R5 will limit the fps on the Sigma. The Sigma predates the Global Vision line, so it has no firmware updates available. The EF100L is from 2009, which predates the introduction of downloadable firmware updates in 2012. So with both lenses you are stuck if there's an issue.

I didn't like the EF100L on the R5. So much so, that I sold it and bought the RF100L. I don't think the RF is worth the price, but I am back to enjoying using the 100mm instead of hating it :)

Personally, I would lean towards the Sigma 105 and use it with OS disabled if it would give me issues. But I also realize that encountering, on the whole intetnet, only 2 other people seeing the same issues with coordinated IS on the R5 makes me an outlier. Both lenses are good macro lenses, the EF100L integrates better into the ecosystem with things like lens corrections. The Sigma will likely show onion rings in the EVF till you disable peripheral illumination correction.

I don't think there's a wrong choice in your dilemma :)
Thank you for this detailed reply! Very helpful!
I lean towards the Sigma, as you recommend. I can get it for 400€ new, 300€ refurbished with 1yr warranty and even less second hand.
The EF would be 600€ second hand and > 1.000€ new (which isn't an option for me).
So maybe I'll get it new and return it if it doesn't work for me.
I still could use it on my M6II. Curious if this makes a difference.

Upvote 0
I used the Sigma with my 80d, Eos R and now the R5 without any problems. The OS worked well even with R5.
Sold it to a friend because I got the RF 100 which is better in every aspect...
...but three times more expensive.
If You don't want to spend 1500€, the Sigme is a good choice.
Thank you for this helpful response!
That's what I hoped to hear! :)

Upvote 0

Nemorino

EOS R5
Aug 29, 2020
I posted this one in the flower thread as an example.
Handheld focus bracketing using the R5 and the Sigma 105 2.8 macro @ f/3.5
sigma-105mm-macro-jpg.206954

Yes, I know, some ugly artefacts.:cry:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0