EF-M 11-22 f/4-5.6 IS STM Not Coming to the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Re: EF-M 11-22 f/4-5.6 IS STM Not Coming to North America?

All interesting.

So, now that I am the proud owner of an "M" they might be abandoning this line? I am glad I have the 22. I don't think I'll invest in the 18-55 but rather get a generic adapter and use lenses that I already own.

What this achieves is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Sales of the M line and accessories will plummet because they are not seemingly supporting this in the USA. Then, the sales and marketing folks will justify the lack of support due to low sales.

Anyone at Canon looking at these threads?

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist said:
neech7 said:
Between the Canadian retailers shipping to US, and eBay, I don't see how it'll be a problem for anyone wanting to buy this lens...

As I stated...you can buy it easily enough, but what if it breaks?

Good thing it's a two hour drive for me to Canada, I guess. :p

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012

That's nuts! If I'm not wrong USA is probably the single largest customer base for Canon and not selling a UWA lens for their one and only Mirrorless Camera in USA just does not make sense ... CR, are you sure you can trust your source for this info?
But if it is true, at least some of you North American's can feel what we go through here everyday ... many of the lenses/cameras/accessories sold in North America can never be bought here locally unless we do online shopping and get it shipped ... if anything goes wrong, we have to pay shipping costs two more times to send it for repairs and get it back. I know it sucks :(

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist said:
neech7 said:
Between the Canadian retailers shipping to US, and eBay, I don't see how it'll be a problem for anyone wanting to buy this lens...

As I stated...you can buy it easily enough, but what if it breaks?

Don't stores like Adorama offer store warranties on gray market gear?

Upvote 0

Notice they say "due to current market conditions". This can mean a lot of things, but to a large company like Canon just having an item out for support and sales means it costs money - a lot of it. The service centers have to be trained and keep parts inventory - just for starters. This costs $$.

My guess is they see NA sales low enough that it's not worth supporting, they mostly just sold them to the Photo sites and rental places. Perhaps this is why they dumped stocks in NA.

Now with the however many new EOS-M's running in the wild in NA it might be a different story - in a year! Big companies run slowly.

Upvote 0

yakman said:
My wild guess.
1. The EFs 10-20 is selling well in US, bringing a higher margin.
EF M 11-22 will be better in performance, lighter, equally or better in build, and much CHEAPER...
I sold my Sigma 10-20 soon after the 11-22 news release..

2. EF M is selling much better in other part of the world compared to US.

I think this is the crux of it. The 11-22 is the lens that actually interests me for the M line. I'd like to see a size comparison of this lens with M attached, a rebel or xxD with 10-22 attached, and 5D/6D with 17-40 or 16-35 attached. Ultrawide is where it is at for mirrorless -- no autofocus challenges, smaller size due to flange-back and mirror and all that fanciness.

They won't keep it out, they are just using this to drive interest in the M in the USA. Look at how nuts everybody here just went over the $299 sale. I can't wait to buy one of them used for $200 after the M2 or whatever gets dropped, and the 11-22 will be sitting on B&H shelves by then, I'm sure.

Upvote 0

FunPhotons said:
Notice they say "due to current market conditions". This can mean a lot of things, but to a large company like Canon just having an item out for support and sales means it costs money - a lot of it. The service centers have to be trained and keep parts inventory - just for starters. This costs $$.

My guess is they see NA sales low enough that it's not worth supporting, they mostly just sold them to the Photo sites and rental places. Perhaps this is why they dumped stocks in NA.

Now with the however many new EOS-M's running in the wild in NA it might be a different story - in a year! Big companies run slowly.

The US has a population that is 9x Canada, which is offering the 11-22. They could only repair/service the lens at 1 site rather than all US sites to save money. Maybe the Canadians like the M more than Americans and buy more...

Upvote 0

Random Orbits said:
FunPhotons said:

The US has a population that is 9x Canada, which is offering the 11-22. They could only repair/service the lens at 1 site rather than all US sites to save money. Maybe the Canadians like the M more than Americans and buy more...

You can't run those kinds of calculations. Corporate finances are more complicated than that. Big companies make stupid decisions sometimes, but they try hard not to lose money.

I was just giving an example, there are a lot of reasons that go into these types of decisions and we have no idea what they are. The thing to do is just shrug your shoulders and buy it from Canada if you want. If your worries about repair then get a external warranty.

Upvote 0
I think they would be silly not to give this line another shot in the US with a new model. There were a ton of missteps in the outset that really hampered this product and a lot of people still wont buy even at the $300 price because of the original issues. Come out with a new model, address the biggest complaints, improve AF a little more over what we have now on 2.02 and maybe even drop the MSRP a little as original price leaves little reason to buy except for portability if you're even remotely serious about photography.

Upvote 0
Hmmmm It seems they are toning down their message:

Dear Jonathan:
Thank you for contacting Canon product support regarding your EOS-M and the sale of the EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens in the U.S. market.
At this present time, Canon USA has not made any announcements regarding the sale of the EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens to the U.S. market. For now, only a European release has been announced. Support for the EOS-M System is currently available and there have been no indication that Canon plans to discontinue support in the near future.
Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your EOS-M. Thank you for choosing Canon.
Sincerely,
Rodney
Technical Support Representative

Upvote 0

mrzero said:
yakman said:
My wild guess.
1. The EFs 10-20 is selling well in US, bringing a higher margin.
EF M 11-22 will be better in performance, lighter, equally or better in build, and much CHEAPER...
I sold my Sigma 10-20 soon after the 11-22 news release..

2. EF M is selling much better in other part of the world compared to US.

I think this is the crux of it. The 11-22 is the lens that actually interests me for the M line. I'd like to see a size comparison of this lens with M attached, a rebel or xxD with 10-22 attached, and 5D/6D with 17-40 or 16-35 attached. Ultrawide is where it is at for mirrorless -- no autofocus challenges, smaller size due to flange-back and mirror and all that fanciness.

They won't keep it out, they are just using this to drive interest in the M in the USA. Look at how nuts everybody here just went over the $299 sale. I can't wait to buy one of them used for $200 after the M2 or whatever gets dropped, and the 11-22 will be sitting on B&H shelves by then, I'm sure.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-efm-11-22-4-5p6-is-stm/images/lensescompared.jpg

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.