EOS-1D X Canon USA Press Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
DJL329 said:
I have to agree. With the way that the 5D II ate into the sales of the 1Ds III, because the sensors were so similar, I figured Canon had to do something to differentiate them for the next release.

It will certainly be interesting to see how things shake out with the 5D II replacement. I'd certainly like to see some of the 1D X features, such as Multiple Exposure (I don't expect 9 exposures, of course) and chromatic aberration correction.

I think it makes sense in terms of body size aswell. My guess is that the biggest market for high megapixel FF DSLR's is amature landscape/wildlife, do those users want a camera the size/weight of the D3x?

Upvote 0
J

justicend

Well, After reading all this comments and views about the new 1dX. Here is what I have to say, indeed this camera is great camera no doubt $6800 tool has to do its job at the professional level when it's aimed at the professional and now being the flagship of canon.

First of all I have a question that is this an upgrade camera ? or new lineup camera ? when i saw the specs and features. I have a notion that it's somewhat similar to 1D mark iv because the difference is it's now full frame. And 1D mark iv was 16.1 MP now it's 18 MP. And new 1D X has 14 frames. But it comes with the price. 1D mark iv was around $4500 range i guess and new 1D X is $6800. Even it's not mentioned that 1Ds and 1D series are merged canon is saying that it's for PJ,Landscape,portrait or whatever. So it's obvious that people will think that way (all in one ). So people here on the forum are right canon is creating confusion. Because 1ds Mark III used to be flagship camera, and many of canon user waited for upgrade, but canon announced 1D mark iv (which generally is for fast shooters) and now they have announced the camera of similar use. For 1ds mark iii user who are waiting for upgrade are confused so does canon, because 5D mark ii became more friendly for studio and portrait work, moreover it served as the unofficial replacement 1ds series. And canon changed it's strategy. So I do hope either it will be 5D mark iii with higher MP FF camera or "since canon officially" does not announced the merging of the two,it's likely that with "1D with something" will appear as higher MP flagship camera.

Anyway canon is listening to their consumer who wanted less MP and high IQ with greater dynamic range. But yes it's true you cant make everyone happy, everyone has their own taste and choices, But inorder to lead the market you have to be targeting specific group of consumer, it's some sort of "divide and rule". Canon certainly is good camera maker, I hope it does not disappoint it's user and fans. Enough with Macfly and ebay, may be he has some frustration with this annoucement, but people should calm down and think.

But at last we don't know, what is coming up from nikon camp we will have wait and watch, because it used to be canon with MP and nikon with speed,DR and stuff, but it's seem that they are interchanging roadmap. Even though I am not professional and neither I am going to buy this expensive beast, but these things keeps on everyone's interest. And CONGRATULATION to Canon's recent manufacturing milestone with the production of the Company's 50-millionth EOS-series SLR camera.

Upvote 0

Meh

Sep 20, 2011
Canon-F1 said:
Meh said:
Direct quote from Dan Carr's web-site... are you going to tell him to get a clue???

yep i do exactly that.

of course 1/500s or 1/2000s would be nicer then 1/250s.

but 1/250 or 1/300s that´s just a matter of more flash output, smaller aperture, a ND filter etc. and not a dealbreaker.

Smaller aperture or ND filter reduces the ambient exposure AND the strobe exposure. If you have enough strobe power at your disposal then that would work fine.

So on one hand you agree that faster max sync speed is better and the other hand you tell me to get a clue when I say that 1/320 is better than 1/250 and that some photographers might be disappointed the max sync speed went down. Ok. You win.

Upvote 0
Canon-F1 said:
Meh said:
Direct quote from Dan Carr's web-site... are you going to tell him to get a clue???

yep i do exactly that.

of course 1/500s or 1/2000s would be nicer then 1/250s.

but 1/250 or 1/300s that´s just a matter of more flash output, smaller aperture, a ND filter etc. and not a dealbreaker.

This goes back to strobe and exposure 101... first of all, the strobe, in most situations, should be fast enough to freeze action and so that brings up the situation of darkening the ambient to match your situations... ND filters, polarizing filters, lowest ISO possible, etc... assuming you're trying to underexpose sunny 16, ISO 100 at 1/250 at f16 is 1 stop under... add a ND filter or polarizing filter and that's a few more stops... there you go... how much more underexposed do you want? Lastly, minimum shutter speeds has always been an issue with shutter curtains (not so much with leafs)... It isn't like in the good ol film days where some where at 1/30... remember those dinos?

Upvote 0
H

Hybridesque

I hoped that Canon would make a camera that would rival the D3s. On paper it looks like it and I hope in a few years time I'll be able to pick up a pair of these!

Right now I'm on a pair of 1D Mk IIs that I picked up 2nd hand recently, having come from a 350D before that.
I'm properly drooling even though I know I cannot justify buying the 1D X for some time!

Upvote 0
Just a joke about the merge: the 1Dx is the 1D update with the price of the 1Ds.

justicend said:
Well, After reading all this comments and views about the new 1dX. Here is what I have to say, indeed this camera is great camera no doubt $6800 tool has to do its job at the professional level when it's aimed at the professional and now being the flagship of canon.

First of all I have a question that is this an upgrade camera ? or new lineup camera ? when i saw the specs and features. I have a notion that it's somewhat similar to 1D mark iv because the difference is it's now full frame. And 1D mark iv was 16.1 MP now it's 18 MP. And new 1D X has 14 frames. But it comes with the price. 1D mark iv was around $4500 range i guess and new 1D X is $6800. Even it's not mentioned that 1Ds and 1D series are merged canon is saying that it's for PJ,Landscape,portrait or whatever. So it's obvious that people will think that way (all in one ). So people here on the forum are right canon is creating confusion. Because 1ds Mark III used to be flagship camera, and many of canon user waited for upgrade, but canon announced 1D mark iv (which generally is for fast shooters) and now they have announced the camera of similar use. For 1ds mark iii user who are waiting for upgrade are confused so does canon, because 5D mark ii became more friendly for studio and portrait work, moreover it served as the unofficial replacement 1ds series. And canon changed it's strategy. So I do hope either it will be 5D mark iii with higher MP FF camera or "since canon officially" does not announced the merging of the two,it's likely that with "1D with something" will appear as higher MP flagship camera.

Anyway canon is listening to their consumer who wanted less MP and high IQ with greater dynamic range. But yes it's true you cant make everyone happy, everyone has their own taste and choices, But inorder to lead the market you have to be targeting specific group of consumer, it's some sort of "divide and rule". Canon certainly is good camera maker, I hope it does not disappoint it's user and fans. Enough with Macfly and ebay, may be he has some frustration with this annoucement, but people should calm down and think.

But at last we don't know, what is coming up from nikon camp we will have wait and watch, because it used to be canon with MP and nikon with speed,DR and stuff, but it's seem that they are interchanging roadmap. Even though I am not professional and neither I am going to buy this expensive beast, but these things keeps on everyone's interest. And CONGRATULATION to Canon's recent manufacturing milestone with the production of the Company's 50-millionth EOS-series SLR camera.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
HurtinMinorKey said:
Why on earth would you need 30+ MP for a studio shoot? So you can print stuff on the sides of buildings?

As a matter of fact yes. Go to Macfly's website and you'll see that he does shoot images (movie promos, mainly) that do indeed go on the sides of buildings.

Seriously folks, it's bad enough to flame people, but flaming people without having a clue what their history and needs are is just ignorant.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
A few weeks ago, someone posted here about how Canon ought to be more like Apple. They referenced an article that said Apple was willing to cannibalize it's own business at times in order to grow their business.

It seems that is exactly what Canon is doing and I'm actually quite impressed with their courage. They are taking some risks here and I wish people would acknowledge that, since Canon is often criticized on this forum for being too conservative and too formulaic.

Although I don't ever expect to be in the target market for this camera, I find it very exciting because of what it means for the future of DSLRs. Frankly, I don't think we can predict what direction Canon will go next. Will they use the 1D X sensor in the 5D? (somehow I doubt it.) Will they release a 1D S (studio) that emphasizes resolution over ISO? (very possible in my opinion).

What features of the 1D X will show up in the next generation of 5D and 7D? Will they produce a pro-level APS-C body aimed at wildlife and sports shooters to replace the 1.3 crop and add more reach from their lenses? (also very possible in my opinion).

All in all, I think this opens up all sorts of interesting possibilities and I'm anxious to see what materializes over the next few years.

In the meantime, thanks Canon for making things interesting. I honestly didn't expect it.

Upvote 0
Having both used Canon and Nikon, this announcement is very exciting as it's the mark of the first of the next generation cameras. (The Nikon D3s and Canon 1D mk4 I consider refreshes) However one thing that I was looking forward to in this camera was a faster flash sync speed. 1/250 is pretty slow, and hopefully it's a true 1/250 at least, I heard of the 5D mk2 having issues at 1/250 sometimes. To me, this is one big advantage that medium format has over all DSLRs currently. But it's still exciting to see Canon announce the first of the next gen cameras. I just hope that Canon can learn something from Nikon and put this AF system in their next 5D, like Nikon did with the D3, D700 and D300.

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
HurtinMinorKey said:
Why on earth would you need 30+ MP for a studio shoot? So you can print stuff on the sides of buildings?

As a matter of fact yes. Go to Macfly's website and you'll see that he does shoot images (movie promos, mainly) that do indeed go on the sides of buildings.

Seriously folks, it's bad enough to flame people, but flaming people without having a clue what their history and needs are is just ignorant.

There are a lot of reasons for solid use of a 30+MP camera... As everyone I'm sure has read from me before, I'm a huge proponent for more MP, but with that being said, I also understand there's a place for every camera and every use... As i've mentioned before, in film days, a 35mm camera rarely was printed at anything bigger than 8x10... even at 8x10, with good old tri-x film (ISO 400), you could see some grain. Sometimes you would be daring and ask your lab (or push it in the darkroom) and pump out 11x14's, but you knew you were going to lose quality... Professional photographers knew and had in their back pocket MF cameras or even large format cameras for bigger prints...

Now adays with cameras we can pump out 16x20 practically without any interpolation with the 5d/7d printing at 300dpi. I have shot murals with my 7D that were put on tradeshow booths (20 feet wide) however they were still lifes and I was able to shoot the large scene in sections and stitch together to build a native file without any interpolation. Larger MP's would mean that I could do that with less stitching and make things essentially quicker, better, higher profit margin, however I hope that we keep in mind the limitations of the 35mm format and if you have the rare need for super large images, not to expect a 35mm to pull that off but instead look at MF with digital backs or LF with digital/scanning backs instead.

Upvote 0
anthony11 said:
macfly said:
Bye bye Canon, hello Nikon.

You won't be seeing me here anymore, good luck with new Prosumer 18mp camera kids, and keep an eye on EBay, all my lenses etc will be there soon.

Prosumer? Stay away from the brown acid, son. Hope you don't need a 135mm prime with that 36MP D800.

I don't like the new 1Dx - but there is no way I'm going to call a great camera a Prosumer camera. Pixels are not everything, I need them for my work but I'm not foolish enough to not recognize a professional camera.

This camera will be on the sidelines of the Super Bowl, Olympics, and World Cup. This camera has more MPs then the current sports pro camera; but it wasn't built for MPs so if that is your only measurement of it; you are better of switching.

I'm a 5D3/6D customer I'm waiting on the next FF camera near 2k because I don't need high FPS; but I need a pro camera.

Upvote 0
G

gene_can_sing

From a video standpoint, it's a bit underwhelming.

No 1080 60p is a big one. Hopefully, the next full frame will be a bit more video oriented since the 1D is more for stills people. For video, especially since they made us wait so long and Canon's refresh cycle takes longer than an Ice Age. The 6D or 5D3 or whatever it's called needs to have

1) 1080p 60fps
2) 4:2:2 50 mb codec
3) Hopefully a flip screen

That's not asking for much at all

The reason why the 5D2 was such a huge hit and considered revolutionary was because of the HD video. Without the video, it would have just been another camera. So Canon needs to do something revolutionary again for video. Maybe on Nov 3rd, the video people will finally get what they need

Upvote 0

Meh

Sep 20, 2011
gene_can_sing said:

No 1080 60p is a big one. Hopefully, the next full frame will be a bit more video oriented since the 1D is more for stills people. For video, especially since they made us wait so long and Canon's refresh cycle takes longer than an Ice Age. The 6D or 5D3 or whatever it's called needs to have

1) 1080p 60fps

The reason why the 5D2 was such a huge hit and considered revolutionary was because of the HD video. Without the video, it would have just been another camera. So Canon needs to do something revolutionary again for video. Maybe on Nov 3rd, the video people will finally get what they need

The video capabilities Canon put into the 1DX might be so that it doesn't come too close to whatever they're going to announce on the 3rd.

Upvote 0
HurtinMinorKey said:
Why on earth would you need 30+ MP for a studio shoot? So you can print stuff on the sides of buildings? I'd rather have fewer larger pixels on the same size sensor.

I'd say "why on earth you need a 30+ MPx from an all-purpose camera". Two lines are combined and from now on it's not a studio-dedicated camera any more. Who wants will be able to buy a 5D MkIII later and get what they need instead of paying $3000 extra for things they won't use.

Photography is my hobby and I'm proud that Canon can offer an all-in-one dream camera like this. Everyone who's needs are similar to mine will definitely want the 1D X. I believe others (who need bigger MPx count) will be satisfied later with another product specific for their needs.

Upvote 0
awinphoto said:
There are a lot of reasons for solid use of a 30+MP camera... As everyone I'm sure has read from me before, I'm a huge proponent for more MP, but with that being said, I also understand there's a place for every camera and every use... As i've mentioned before, in film days, a 35mm camera rarely was printed at anything bigger than 8x10... even at 8x10, with good old tri-x film (ISO 400), you could see some grain. Sometimes you would be daring and ask your lab (or push it in the darkroom) and pump out 11x14's, but you knew you were going to lose quality... Professional photographers knew and had in their back pocket MF cameras or even large format cameras for bigger prints...

Now adays with cameras we can pump out 16x20 practically without any interpolation with the 5d/7d printing at 300dpi. I have shot murals with my 7D that were put on tradeshow booths (20 feet wide) however they were still lifes and I was able to shoot the large scene in sections and stitch together to build a native file without any interpolation. Larger MP's would mean that I could do that with less stitching and make things essentially quicker, better, higher profit margin, however I hope that we keep in mind the limitations of the 35mm format and if you have the rare need for super large images, not to expect a 35mm to pull that off but instead look at MF with digital backs or LF with digital/scanning backs instead.

Maybe thats whats guiding Canons tactics? with the 645D around MF is now not that much more(in price and size) than a top end 35mm body like the IDs so is there going to be much of a market? Focusing on a 5D sized body seems like a maximses the advanatges of 35mm, cheaper(even a higher spec body) and smaller than MF.

Upvote 0
S

sandro

Meh said:
gene_can_sing said:

1) 1080p 60fps

The video capabilities Canon put into the 1DX might be so that it doesn't come too close to whatever they're going to announce on the 3rd.

or that they will never put more features to protect their rumored upcoming video cameras?
For all we know the new processor "with less moiré" could be just fake advertisement like Sony did, the new sonys are still bad in resolution. And that promo they made with that photographer is not a good sing, if it's shot with the new 1d X!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.