EOS-1D X Canon USA Press Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
Joseph said:
...the lady I was on the phone with said the release date would be April - instead of March , I really hope this is wrong

It's wrong. What she meant to say was April...if Leprechauns stand on their heads and spit wooden nickels in Masaya Maeda's office. Given Canon's recent track record for releasing pro camera gear on schedule, I'd say the Leprechaun thing is more likely than the 1D X being in the hands of distributors before May (but it won't be much later, because the Olympics start in late July, and come hell or high water, they won't miss that deadline, and pros need a few weeks to get comfortable with their new gear).

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
I Just got an email from Canon Australia, and they said (among other things), "The pricing on the New EOS 1D X will be announced closer to the release of this product which is due in Australia, March 2012.".
So they're sticking to their March story. That's either good confidence in their manufacturers, or they're not being told anything about a delay to April any more than we are.

(I was more annoyed at another part of the email: "The 200-400 1.4 f/4 lens is yet to be announced. Canon made an announcement around June 2011 which stated that Canon is intending to design such a product. If they are successful a further announcement will follow stating when we should see the product in the marketplace."
So what was the one they had on show? A white-painted clay model, that hadn't been designed yet? But that's a discussion for another thread...)

Upvote 0
J

Joseph

neuroanatomist said:
Joseph said:
...the lady I was on the phone with said the release date would be April - instead of March , I really hope this is wrong

It's wrong. What she meant to say was April...if Leprechauns stand on their heads and spit wooden nickels in Masaya Maeda's office. Given Canon's recent track record for releasing pro camera gear on schedule, I'd say the Leprechaun thing is more likely than the 1D X being in the hands of distributors before May (but it won't be much later, because the Olympics start in late July, and come hell or high water, they won't miss that deadline, and pros need a few weeks to get comfortable with their new gear).

Like I had mentioned , Im just repeating what I heard from the Canon U.S rep. - and she was also sticking to the 6800 pricing scheme for it's release.

I noticed on Henry's they are already taking pre-orders at 6999.95 - looks like he's adding a little extra for safety huh !!!

Upvote 0

DarkKnightNine

The best camera is the one that's with you.
Jul 1, 2011
Yokohama, Japan
www.marvenpayne.com
HurtinMinorKey said:
Honestly, you might as well get a hasselblad H4D-200 if you are gonna spend that much. That's the ultimate billboard camera.

Rented Hassys in the past for assignments. Very cumbersome and I don't like the form factor. If I'm going to "own" a large megapixel camera, I'd rather have one that has the same or similar form factor as my DSLR. Besides the Leica S2 is very well built (not saying Hasselblads aren't) and weather sealed like a DSLR. I'm sure the S2 line will only get better and it's like buying into Canon's ecosystem. Once you have a nice set of Leica lenses, you will only need to upgrade to better bodies when technically and financially viable. Hassys are only arguably better than the S2 for the time being. I suspect Leica isn't going to stop developing the line.

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
DarkKnightNine said:
Rented Hassys in the past for assignments. Very cumbersome and I don't like the form factor. If I'm going to "own" a large megapixel camera, I'd rather have one that has the same or similar form factor as my DSLR. Besides the Leica S2 is very well built (not saying Hasselblads aren't) and weather sealed like a DSLR. I'm sure the S2 line will only get better and it's like buying into Canon's ecosystem. Once you have a nice set of Leica lenses, you will only need to upgrade to better bodies when technically and financially viable. Hassys are only arguably better than the S2 for the time being. I suspect Leica isn't going to stop developing the line.

And don't forget the Pentax 645D, at €10k it only costs a lens more than a D3X, it's 40MP and weather-sealed, DXOmark gives it high regard, and there's a lot of lenses for it natively (not to mention adaptable from larger-bodies).
But then for a little bit more, €12k gets you a Hassy 31mp with lens.
cf the leica S2, as nice as it is and as much as I want one, it's double a Pentax 645D. Double that again to get to a Hassy 200MS, and even more still for the IQ180 back with no body.

If i could get my hands on any one of them, it's on a tripod for landscapes. Or if you want to print billboards with one, you'd still need a tripod and studio flashes. Handheld doesn't come into the equation (although with an S2, i'd be tempted).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.