EOS R first impressions - post your hands-on impressions here

Got mine today.
Viewfinder is bright and clear albeit different to optical... so nice having histogram in there though and actually seeing the exposure. That is amazing.

And little things like on start up it will tell you if your lens is in manual mode and you get wavy red lines if the manual focus peaking is on, or you can magnify the selected AF live in the viewfinder. Or there's my current favorite - the blinking GPS indicator to tell me that I need to run the Canon Connect app on my phone so the camera can embed GPS info. (Beats putting on the GP-E2 which I often found had a dead battery because I didn't turn it off.) The info load is amazing and useful. Be sure to turn on the feature to rotate the info in the viewfinder when you rotate the camera to portrait orientation. Breathtaking

For a first gen mirrorless ... well done Canon this line is going to be even more incredible once the wrinkles ironed out

Mostly, I think the wrinkles are in our brain, like those pictures of fighter pilots enduring 10 gees of acceleration. I was skeptical at first. I customized the buttons, etc, but backed stuff off other than putting the depth-of-field option on the AF ON button and ISO on the EF adapter ring. I did create two My Menus. The interface is pretty solid once you stop thinking 5D and think EOS R. I had to spend time doing that, but, whoa!

(My EOS R blog: https://eosrreview.wordpress.com/)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SereneSpeed

CR Pro
Feb 1, 2016
¿How is the -6 EV AF working? Did any of you guys tested that?

The EOS R sees in the dark. It's ability to autofocus in a dark scene is much better than my 5D4. It does get hung up when there is no contrast, like a lot of cameras, but if it has something to grab, it will do it in near darkness.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Ok, this camera is just infuriating in really low light. It's so frustrating because it's shown that it can achieve focus in situations when the 5D4 would not be able to, but the EVF gets extremely laggy and slow in low light. Sometimes when I half-press the shutter to focus in low light, the whole EVF display feed just bogs down. I hate this. Combine that with a rather unpredictable moment after taking a photo when the EVF freezes for a second, and it really gets in the way of taking photos in a dynamic, moving situation in low light.

Upvote 0

SereneSpeed

CR Pro
Feb 1, 2016
Ok, this camera is just infuriating in really low light. It's so frustrating because it's shown that it can achieve focus in situations when the 5D4 would not be able to, but the EVF gets extremely laggy and slow in low light. Sometimes when I half-press the shutter to focus in low light, the whole EVF display feed just bogs down. I hate this. Combine that with a rather unpredictable moment after taking a photo when the EVF freezes for a second, and it really gets in the way of taking photos in a dynamic, moving situation in low light.
Interesting. I've only used it for low light portraiture and I've never noticed this. But, admittedly, I'm not moving fast at all. I'm usually trying my best to hold the camera still so I can get an image without motion blur.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Interesting. I've only used it for low light portraiture and I've never noticed this. But, admittedly, I'm not moving fast at all. I'm usually trying my best to hold the camera still so I can get an image without motion blur.
How low light? I'm talking about like 1/100sec, f1.2, ISO 10,000 or higher. It's like the camera spends too much processing power trying to simulate the exposure at high ISOs or something. It's bizarre.

Upvote 0

SereneSpeed

CR Pro
Feb 1, 2016
1/200th f1.4 ISO 40,000 when I was testing. Without any problems except noise.

1/100th f1.4 ISO 6,400 with a client.

I just tested it and got what you are talking about. But, that was at 1/15th f1.4 ISO 12,800 - 40,000. If I bumped shutter up to 1/50th it went away. If I dropped ISO to 10,000 it went away. If I shot low-key (proper exposure for my subject) it went away. Only when I tried to boost the entire scene to appear SUPER bright, did I see what you are talking about.

... I just tested it again to try it with an expose similar to yours. At 1/80th f1.4 ISO10,000, no issue. In fact, no issue at 1/80th f1.4 ISO 32,000. But at ISO 40,000 I definitely begin to see it.

I will not be shooting exposures like that without a tripod and a handful of open shutter time.

Funny enough, if my shutter speed is higher, the problem is less pronounced. Even when adding ISO to compensate for the shutter speed. Perhaps this has to do with the sensor readout being slower than the EVF FPS?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I took my R with its 50mm f.2.5 lens into a dark room. At first, I could see nothing, it seemed totally dark, but with the AF assist light, the camera focused quickly. Then, the EVF became bright and it looked like daylight even though the ISO was 40,000. I used AV and set the aperture to various values, even f/8, but it focused every time but took a while at f/8. As my eyes adjusted, I could see the drop that I was focusing on, so there was light in the room, but not much. I did not bother to process the images, I was just curious about the ability to autofocus and was surprised by how strong that AF light was on the camera. It made a orange-red circle on the backdrop which allowed it to AF. I think it was too dark to focus without it, but I may disable the assist light and see if it focuses and note the exposure.

I don't know if the camera focuses with the aperture wide open and then stops down, I should find out.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]
I don't know if the camera focuses with the aperture wide open and then stops down, I should find out.

From what I have read so far, it will narrow the aperture when taking the actual picture, but focus with a wider aperture. I'm unsure if that means "wide open" or "use set aperture if it's below 4.5, otherwise open up". If it's the latter, that would mean the focus shift issues with F1.2/1.4 lenses wouldn't be an issue any longer.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
I’m out shooting soccer in the cold and the “AF point smashed into the bottom of the screen” is ruining everything for me, they need to effin fix this yesterday! :mad:

Is it possible that you saved your custom mode with the AF point all the way to edge of the screen, so that was saved along with your other custom settings? Or that you inadvertently swipe the screen after you are done shooting and the AF is dragged to the edge and remembered by the camera the next time you turn it on? Just guessing.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Is it possible that you saved your custom mode with the AF point all the way to edge of the screen, so that was saved along with your other custom settings? Or that you inadvertently swipe the screen after you are done shooting and the AF is dragged to the edge and remembered by the camera the next time you turn it on? Just guessing.
I'm shooting in normal Av, and I've tried finding "registered AF point" like I had on the 1dx2, but can't find it... And it's not always, and sometimes it's not in the corner, but center bottom. It also happenp while I was just holding the camera , it turned off, turned on via halfpress shutter, and it had moved to the bottom... I don't get it....

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I'm shooting in normal Av, and I've tried finding "registered AF point" like I had on the 1dx2, but can't find it... And it's not always, and sometimes it's not in the corner, but center bottom. It also happenp while I was just holding the camera , it turned off, turned on via halfpress shutter, and it had moved to the bottom... I don't get it....

Any chance the cold is causing minor condensation (from cheek? Breath?) and conducting the signal accidentally to a diff location? How were you focusing at time?

Upvote 0

JoFT

I do love photography
Nov 9, 2014
Germany
delightphoto.zenfolio.com
I've got my camera today and i discovered that it has:
  • No stabilization in camera stabilization. OK, so when using one of the 3 adapters to use your existing Canon glass, if the lens doesn’t have IS then you have zero access to IS. Compatibility factor just took a hit here.
  • One SD card slot.
  • No joy stick to set AF.
  • No continuous shooting in silent at launch – however we’re told it will be addressed in future firmware update.
  • You can shoot 8 FPS in one shot, the only issue is ….that is in one shot…in continuous IAF to 5 frames upto 47 raw files in a row.
  • Video: Not Full Frame 4K video. The 4K is cropped.
I Should Have Known Better that something was not right because it was not back-ordered at all :)

No 2nd SD card slot needed due wifi backup for instant sharing
No joystick needed because touch and drag on the touchscreen is much quicker

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Any chance the cold is causing minor condensation (from cheek? Breath?) and conducting the signal accidentally to a diff location? How were you focusing at time?

I shoot with my right eye and use Top Right screen for touch'n drag so I don't think so.. at least that's not what happen ehen I just held the camera. But I'll make sure to keep the screen very dry and clean next time to see if it happens anyway... Hmm, just thought of it, it happened indoors also....

Upvote 0
Just received the Canon R with the adapter (no ring) rental. Here are some observations on different lenses.

Canon EF 24-70, EFS 10-22, EFS 18-135, EF 100-400 (first gen) all work great, such as fast autofocus.

Canon EF 100-400 (first gen) with extender EF 2x II has extremely slow autofocus. I don’t know if the model two lens or an extender 2x model III would correct the autofocus. It does work, but don’t expect to focus on anything moving quickly.

Tamron 150-600 (version 1) works but no autofocus.

Tamron 18-400 Di II unusable, extreme vignettingy.

Even though I have a couple of non-canon lens issues, I’m very impressed with the camera especially the sharpness at lower shutter speeds while handheld.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Question for R owners: is there something similar to the “Register/recall shooting function” on the 5D cameras? Where you can hold down a button and instantly recall a particular shooting setting, including registered AF point? Also, I need to check if it’s possible to register AF points at all on this camera...
There are three custom settings for photos and three for movies, but I am not sure if they store the af point. They do store the af method (size of the af area). ( just check and it seems to be returning the auto focus to the same place on the custom function.)

Upvote 0