EOS R3

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...per B&H, holding for pickup is not allowed for “security reasons”. I was told that in order to have it held for pickup I would have to call B&H and ask them to authorize it...

That's precisely what happened to me. Could be worse, but on the bright side I'll have all week to tinker with it before taking a good test drive next weekend - instead of just a couple hours and fumbling on the trails tomorrow.
Interesting. Although my delivery date was changed from Monday to today (Friday) I was checking progress on the Fed Ex website, because I saw that it was still in Indiana this morning (I'm in Illinois). I knew it would never make it today, especially since it would need to come through the distribution center near St. Louis. I changed the delivery to pick up at the Fed Ex store location this morning and it appears the change went through no problem.

It's now made it to St. Louis and they've changed the delivery date to tomorrow. The website says hold at Fed Ex Office so no indication that they won't do so. I guess I'll find out tomorrow if they deliver it here or if they notify me that it's available for pickup. I don't know why B&H would object to picking it up at a Fed Ex site, as I will need to show ID and sign for it anyway, but we will see.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Interesting. Although my delivery date was changed from Monday to today (Friday) I was checking progress on the Fed Ex website, because I saw that it was still in Indiana this morning (I'm in Illinois). I knew it would never make it today, especially since it would need to come through the distribution center near St. Louis. I changed the delivery to pick up at the Fed Ex store location this morning and it appears the change went through no problem.

It's now made it to St. Louis and they've changed the delivery date to tomorrow. The website says hold at Fed Ex Office so no indication that they won't do so. I guess I'll find out tomorrow if they deliver it here or if they notify me that it's available for pickup. I don't know why B&H would object to picking it up at a Fed Ex site, as I will need to show ID and sign for it anyway, but we will see.
Same here, although my delivery date was and remains tomorrow. We’ll be out running errands for a good chunk of the day, so I changed delivery to a nearby Walgreens with no issues.

Upvote 0
Either the calendar is wrong, or you're wrong...because I have my Canon R3. I suspect it's the latter.
Does your R3 display 6K RAW as an option? I've browsed through the menus and haven't been able to enable it similar to my R5, which is odd. It's likely locked due to an obscure setting.

Edit: 6K is labeled as 4K, when switching to RAW it lists 4K but displays the 6K resolution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Mine arrived on Friday November 26th at 10:30 a.m. by FedEx Home Delivery. I have posted my first impressions of the camera in a separate thread, but I am still deciding on how best to customize the buttons and dials. This is my first camera with the smart controller and it is my favorite way to move AF points. The Eye Control AF is interesting, but will need extensive calibration and field testing to see if it is useful and reliable.

Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020

Mine finally moved from Maryland overnight. Yesterday would have been the normal 2 day transit time from B&H to VA, that's why I was hopeful it was true. I'v had more than one package skip the local scans and end up in my hands before seeing an "Out for delivery" status update. I suspect the very late night Fedex pickup on Wednesday is why it didn't make the normal schedule, hence Monday it is.

It must fairly common with high dollar items to prevent "hold for pickup", B&H is far from the only one to do it. Not really sure how as photo id is required, but I guess there are too many less than diligent Fedex & UPS employees.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
It must fairly common with high dollar items to prevent "hold for pickup", B&H is far from the only one to do it. Not really sure how as photo id is required, but I guess there are too many less than diligent Fedex & UPS employees.
I had that happen with Red when I ordered the $400 ND filter EF-RF adapter.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Same here, although my delivery date was and remains tomorrow. We’ll be out running errands for a good chunk of the day, so I changed delivery to a nearby Walgreens with no issues.
So I spoke too soon. Seems like FedEx’s has revised their old slogan to, “When it absolutely, positively has to be there whenever the hell we decide to deliver it.”

The package is at the local facility (which is 4 miles away in the next town over, just across the town line), they did accept the hold at location request for the Walgreens that is about a mile closer to the FexEd location than my house. But they rescheduled delivery to Tuesday.

Meanwhile, another (non-photography) item I ordered that left NJ on Friday is loaded on a truck at that same local FedEx facility, and ‘scheduled for delivery the next business day’ which FedEx indicates is tomorrow (Sunday).

Clearly, I have no understanding of logistics but I’m sure it all makes sense to FedEx.

Hopefully they’ll update the delivery and get it to me sooner.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
So I spoke too soon. Seems like FedEx’s has revised their old slogan to, “When it absolutely, positively has to be there whenever the hell we decide to deliver it.”

The package is at the local facility (which is 4 miles away in the next town over, just across the town line), they did accept the hold at location request for the Walgreens that is about a mile closer to the FexEd location than my house. But they rescheduled delivery to Tuesday.

Meanwhile, another (non-photography) item I ordered that left NJ on Friday is loaded on a truck at that same local FedEx facility, and ‘scheduled for delivery the next business day’ which FedEx indicates is tomorrow (Sunday).

Clearly, I have no understanding of logistics but I’m sure it all makes sense to FedEx.

Bummer. Mine says on vehicle for delivery and the accepted the reroute to the FedEx Office store. Unfortunately I think they make the store stop late in the day to pick up packages.

I think there are a lot of factors at play. If a sort facility gets slammed they reroute to one that’s less busy even if it’s halfway across the country. Labor shortage even though they pay well it’s grueling high pressure work. Huge demand, especially during the COVID holiday season.

I am pleased that B&H shipped so quickly. Oftentimes they will show a package as shipped but when you check the tracking you’ll see that only means they created a shipping label,

UPDATE I just got a text that it is available for pickup. Hope you get the same soon Neuro.

Upvote 0

Ha! FedEx lost me to UPS a decade ago for that very reason.
After being told on the phone yesterday that they “had until Monday to make the delivery”, it just arrived ten minutes ago.
But I have to leave for a shoot and will be gone all night. But at least it is here.
I hope everyone who gets theirs today has fun playing!

Upvote 0

I’m in Illinois as well, about 20 miles west of Chicago.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I’m in Illinois as well, about 20 miles west of Chicago.
Springfield for me. So almost all shippers send everything through St. Louis, even if coming from the east. Picked it up this a.m. and am now starting to configure everything, which is always a pain.

Upvote 0