EOS R5 Freeze /lock up issues

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
I've yet to have a lockup, but I am not a heavy user. I use a Pro Grade Cobalt 325 GB CF Express card. I do not believe that the brand of cad matters, people have reported the issue with all the brands.

I have the same card w/o lockups. I have yet to hear about someone with the PG Cobalt having issues. I believe Model (pure min specs) makes the biggest difference and Brand is secondary. Only exception about brand that might tip the scales are the ones that are prone to getting counterfeited.

Upvote 0
Jul 23, 2021
Still no lockup with my R5 bought 2 months ago and after about 13000 shots in varied situations. I didn't updated the firmware for the moment because the camera works perfectly and I wait for more users experiences with V1.4 to decide if I will update it or not.
I use a Lexar Pro CFe 128GB, combined with an SD card (raws on the Cfe and JPGs on the SD card).
I have no RF lens at this time, and use only EF lenses with the standard Canon ring.
My lenses : EF 50f/1.4, EF 24-105LII, EF135f/2L, EF 70-200f/2.8LIS II (w/ or w/o EFX2III), EF 16-35f/4LIS, EF 100macro Tamron 150-600G1.

Upvote 0
I have the Pro Grade Cobalt 325 GB CF Express card & Sandisk 128GB Extreme PRO UHS-II SDXC 300gbps and have had lock ups twice both when using EF100-400MKII +1.4TC III whilst using 12fps mechanical shutter & animal Eye detect, servo AF via back button focusing. The first occassion every thing froze and I had to remove battery, 2nd time camera froze whilst taking a sequence of shots as if buffer had been reached (it hadn't) but then returned to normal almost immediately without me having to do anything. Had my R5 abot 4 months and usually shoot landscapes etc ie more sedate stuff so rarely use high speed continuous shutter. This was on Firmware 1.31.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I have the Pro Grade Cobalt 325 GB CF Express card & Sandisk 128GB Extreme PRO UHS-II SDXC 300gbps and have had lock ups twice both when using EF100-400MKII +1.4TC III whilst using 12fps mechanical shutter & animal Eye detect, servo AF via back button focusing. The first occassion every thing froze and I had to remove battery, 2nd time camera froze whilst taking a sequence of shots as if buffer had been reached (it hadn't) but then returned to normal almost immediately without me having to do anything. Had my R5 abot 4 months and usually shoot landscapes etc ie more sedate stuff so rarely use high speed continuous shutter. This was on Firmware 1.31.
Thanks for sharing your experience. We’re you shooting to both cards at once when the camera froze? Or it happened on each card when individually in the camera?

Upvote 0
Bought my R5 in June and RF 100-500 in July. Shooting manually, using Canon and non-Canon batteries, high-end CF Express and SD cards (Raw and L jpg) at once, etc. I have only experienced freezing when using the RF 100-500 and shooting in rapid-fire mode. While inconvenient, I can probably live with it as a) it doesn't happen regularly; b) it's an easy fix (pop out the battery); c) haven't lost any data and d) I do not want to be without this camera for an extended period as others here have sent their cameras in only to experience the same issues later. If Canon decides to do the right thing and have a recall. then I will consider sending it in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Yesterday, while shooting with the RF 100-500, had a "freeze" event after crimping. No response to power switch, to shutter, to the back buttons I've programmed for focus......just stuck at a view of the last image. Immediate response to normal when I popped the battery out for a few seconds, then no issues for the rest of the day. I don't have the shutter count but I've used the camera without issue for a while. Only recent change is the update to the latest firmware but have taken a few hundred photos since.

Other info: 128gb Prograde CFExpress set for RAW and 64GB Lexar SD for jpeg as "backup" and LPE-6nh at "two bars." Camera on manual mode with iso at 1000 and other settings variable with each image.

Actually, I am not upset but it would be nice to have this figured out once and for all. I could be too forgiving but sometimes I need to reboot my PC when it misbehaves and the R5 is, in many ways, a complex computer.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Hi to you all, I'm new to the forum but A Canon shooter for 12+ years now. I've recently moved from a 1DXII to the R5 and thought I'd just share my experience with the EVF Freeze issue.

Mine is slightly different in as much as I've not had it happen (yet!) while actually shooting. It has however happened on 3 occasions while composing shots using back button AF on a fairly static bird. The background was quite cluttered and dark and the bird was a magpie. I was alternating between subject tracking AF, Eye AF & Single point AF using the three back buttons. The R5 was struggling to get a lock on the bird and the tracking was jumping around the scene quite erratically and then the EVF just froze with the scene displayed. No error code or message was displayed and none of the controls would function until I pointed the camera down to the floor and it suddenly came alive again, I heard the IBIS kick back in. Total freeze was maybe 15 -20 seconds.

It's almost as though it couldn't cope with me making quick alternate presses on the buttons and just got overloaded with the instructions and failed attempts to lock focus. I'm wondering if it's actually the combination of IBIS together with lens IS and multiple AF selection commands that's causing the problem?

It's done this a few times now all in fairly similar conditions and with the same settings. I didn't actuate the shutter fully so no images were being recorded at the time. I was using the EF 100-400 II with a canon 1.4 III extender.

I thought I'd share this here as it seems to rule out any issue with memory cards ( in this instance) altogether. I've not given the R5 a really prolonged shooting session yet but so far I've had no issues with it tracking BIF in continuous hi speed burst with cRAW recording to a 'Integral Ultima Pro X' 128GB CF Express card.

I'm loving the R5 so far but this is a bit of a worry when so many people seem to be having similar issues and as yet there doesn't seem to be a satisfactory solution from Canon.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
I'm on my second Canon R5s. The first one had all sorts of issues. Constant error 70s. And even bricked multiple cards loosing everything on the card to the point of ruining the files beyond repair by a dozen or so recover programs. Even paid expensive ones. This was during photos and videos. Camera would freeze screens go black and battery pull required. Got another R5. The first shoot and the camera froze exactly like seen in the video. No loss of files yet.
Most frustrating thing is Canon is known for there rock solid cameras. My 1dxmkii in 4+ years has only had one time I needed to pull a battery. The R5 has had 30 in the first month!
Canon never seems to mention these errors in advertising.

Upvote 0
Small update. Owned since 30JUL20 and passed the 350,000 actuation mark(mostly electronic) last month and have recorded nine freezes. The first couple I did remove the battery tray but on the following ones I just waited ~15 seconds and the camera has reset itself every time. This has happened across all the firmwares including the most recent lockup, yesterday, on 1.4.0. It has been about four months since my last one. I cycle between four pairs of LP-E6NH batteries in a grip, also cycle through four Delkin 512GB CFExpress cards. So far the only constant has been while using the 600 II w/1.4X but since that is my primary use lens for wildlife, lol, no real surprises it would happen there if was to happen with any lens. The only common thing I noted is each freeze seems to happen while tracking a relatively motionless subject(yesterday's was a Killdeer doing start/stop darts for snacks) in ES. Has anyone noted this occurring using the mechanical shutter?

Upvote 0