Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
Well. I finally got the R6 and had a very short window to have a play. Not a lot in our wildlife refuge but got a few shots to test the performance. First shot is a Bennets wallaby at long distance. Settings were ISO4000, f 6.3, 1/400sec at 600mm. Cropped to 3753x2111 for a grand total of 7.92mp.
Second shot is a female wren. Settings were ISO 1600, f6.3, 1/2500 at 600mm. Cropped to 2707x1805 for a total of 4.88mp.
Third shot is the same Wren. Settings were ISO 5000, f6.3, 1/2500 at 600mm. Cropped to 4706x2717 for a total of 11.07mp.
Overall despite the high ISO and deep cropping I am VERY happy with the sensor performance. Absolutely outstanding(1)-18.jpg(1)-17.jpg(1)-16.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

dlee13

Canon EOS R6
May 13, 2014
Australia
Nice. Glad yours arrived and yes. Santa came and went and left his booty

Thanks and I don’t know how you managed to wait so long for yours! I only had to wait a week including selling all my gear off and I was going crazy haha

Well. I finally got the R6 and had a very short window to have a play. Not a lot in our wildlife refuge but got a few shots to test the performance. First shot is a Bennets wallaby at long distance. Settings were ISO4000, f 6.3, 1/400sec at 600mm. Cropped to 3753x2111 for a grand total of 7.92mp.
Second shot is a female wren. Settings were ISO 1600, f6.3, 1/2500 at 600mm. Cropped to 2707x1805 for a total of 4.88mp.
Third shot is the same Wren. Settings were ISO 5000, f6.3, 1/2500 at 600mm. Cropped to 4706x2717 for a total of 11.07mp.
Overall despite the high ISO and deep cropping I am VERY happy with the sensor performance. Absolutely outstandingView attachment 194793View attachment 194794View attachment 194796

Great shots and good to see the R6 can handle that bigger crops and still look amazing!

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
Some more shots from my R6 testing. Nothing serious, I am just still testing various settings and AF setups etc. Plenty of cropping in some of the shots and still retaining acceptable detail(especially for social media use). AF is amazing but not an infallible magic bullet. It still struggles with the really small, fast moving and erratic birds(however even with the struggle it still does far far better than anything I have used before. Shots that were once all but impossible are now more than achievable)(1).jpg(1)-2.jpg(1)-3.jpg(1)-4.jpg(1)-5.jpg(1).jpg(1)-2.jpg(1)-3.jpg(1)-4.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
Nothing special about this shot except for the fact it would have been almost impossible with my 7D2. It always had trouble keeping up with a bird flying fast toward the camera and almost certainly would have lost focus when the bird went behind the railings of my balcony. In this case it managed to stay locked on and sharp.(1)-35.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
  • Haha
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
Gorgeous!

So if eye AF doesn't work, what did you use on this? You'd think an animal cloaked in a focus chart would be a piece of cake for AF :LOL:
20fps. Even if the focus isn't perfect, at least one or two of the shots are good enough. ;)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Gorgeous!

So if eye AF doesn't work, what did you use on this? You'd think an animal cloaked in a focus chart would be a piece of cake for AF :LOL:
Whilst I appreciate this is a humorous comment, and I like it, I do think it illustrates a relevant point. People are relying on eye AF to the point that they are ignoring or forgetting how to control their AF to do what they want.

As you say focusing on a mobile AF chart should be simplicity itself, and it is, however relying on a single method to achieve that when nature has spent millions of years developing camouflage to mess with it seems strange. AF is like AE, the camera maker can't hope to know what I am trying to do and the more I push myself and my images the more often the camera can't keep up and I have to take control. Yet more and more often we see comments like 'the eye AF failed', of course it did, it will get better and better but it is just another tool in the toolbox, don't rely on it to the exclusion of everything else...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Very nice series.
d055.gif
Well done, Mrs Ramage.

• Love
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
Whilst I appreciate this is a humorous comment, and I like it, I do think it illustrates a relevant point. People are relying on eye AF to the point that they are ignoring or forgetting how to control their AF to do what they want.

As you say focusing on a mobile AF chart should be simplicity itself, and it is, however relying on a single method to achieve that when nature has spent millions of years developing camouflage to mess with it seems strange. AF is like AE, the camera maker can't hope to know what I am trying to do and the more I push myself and my images the more often the camera can't keep up and I have to take control. Yet more and more often we see comments like 'the eye AF failed', of course it did, it will get better and better but it is just another tool in the toolbox, don't rely on it to the exclusion of everything else...
Very true. When it does work (which is a LOT of the time) it is absolutely astounding. But when it doesnt (and we have to accept it will never be perfect all the time) we do need to know bow to achieve the desired results in other ways

Upvote 0