Fake: Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III and It Shoots 4K

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I don't want a USB-C connector for the sake of using a new connector. If there's some tangible benefit, like faster throughput from storage or the ability to power the camera through it (rather than the battery), that'd be different, maybe.

I'm thankful that Canon stayed with micro USB and never went to mini.

Why? In my go case, I always have at least 2 bodies. I would be loathe to carry one mini cable and one micro cable... and then add one USB-C cable. No thanks.

Also, it's a pain getting all new "just the right cables" for tethering - the right length, the right extension, the correct angled connector.

What I would go bonkers for would be a good magsafe connector for tethering. I've tripped over my micro-usb tethering cable and sent everything flying before, not fun at all.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
I only buy gear with USB C connectors. Just for its single, greatest advantage: it plugs in either way. With old USB connectors there is a 50:50 chance to get it right, which means in practice I get it wrong on 80% of first attempts. That alone makes USB-C already a winner.

Next big advantage are transfer speeds ... USB 31. gen 2 vs. USB 3.1 (= USB 3.) is massive.

But not surprised to see some Canonite-apologetics being as conservative and backwards as Canon themselves.

A USB 3.1 gen 2 I/O chip plus connector is a very low cost item .. in Canon lot sizes it literally will cost cents only. It does NOT require changes in DIGIC ... it is way BEHIND the DIGIC in pipeline. Simply buying USB 3.1 / g2 chips and connectors and solder them into body instead of 5-years outdated USB 3.0 chips for a few cents less per unit.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Talys said:
What I would go bonkers for would be a good magsafe connector for tethering. I've tripped over my micro-usb tethering cable and sent everything flying before, not fun at all.

I don't really care what connector is used on the camera, I cannot even remember the last time I actually directly connected my camera to a computer.

However, I was a big fan of the MagSafe design. While I appreciate the convenience of being able to connect power to my 15" retina MBP on either side with the USB-C connector, I really do miss the MagSafe...especially with kids running around the house.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
privatebydesign said:
There are several USB-C to 'Magsafe' style magnetic breakaway connectors. When I lived in Thailand, years ago, my cheap kettle had a magnetic breakaway cable.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/7/12/15960594/magc-vinpok-bolt-s-magsafe-magnetic-charging-usb-c-macbook-pro

Thanks for that! I was aware of the older ones, but not the new (and not yet available, though the Kickstarter was more than fully funded) MagC. The older ones didn't provide sufficient power for the 15" Touchbar MBP, one of the newer ones does but is power only, whereas the MagC handles both power and data. I use an Elgato dock, meaning I have power, GigE, and two monitors all coming in through a single USB-C connection to the MBP.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
AvTvM said:
A USB 3.1 gen 2 I/O chip plus connector is a very low cost item .. in Canon lot sizes it literally will cost cents only. It does NOT require changes in DIGIC ... it is way BEHIND the DIGIC in pipeline.

how little you know in the real world.
and you know for sure that DIGIC has the PCI lanes available to support the higher bit rate of the USB 3.1 I/O? or the IO bus lanes? and that the USB controller isn't located on the DIGIC SoC?

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
rrcphoto said:
AvTvM said:
I only buy gear with USB C connectors. Just for its single, greatest advantage: it plugs in either way. With old USB connectors there is a 50:50 chance to get it right

yeah because looking at the connector first is so hard. ::)

I still get it wrong about 80% of the time, it seems.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
rrcphoto said:
how little you know in the real world.
and you know for sure that DIGIC has the PCI lanes available to support the higher bit rate of the USB 3.1 I/O? or the IO bus lanes? and that the USB controller isn't located on the DIGIC SoC?

could well be. would be rather .. .stupid ... of Canon, given that USB 3.1 controllers are dirt-cheap commodities. :)

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
stevelee said:
rrcphoto said:
AvTvM said:
I only buy gear with USB C connectors. Just for its single, greatest advantage: it plugs in either way. With old USB connectors there is a 50:50 chance to get it right

yeah because looking at the connector first is so hard. ::)

I still get it wrong about 80% of the time, it seems.

exactly. from usability point of view any "non-symmetrical connector" is a sub-par design from the very start. USB-C is a step forward .. silver medal. Round/cylindrical connectors ... gold! 8)

Upvote 0