Fake LP-E6 Batteries

Nov 1, 2012
This is one reason why Canon is fighting hard to inform camera buyers about the fake products. It can be batteries, grips, chargers and even flashes. For some who are smart will know they are fakes. Some who are not as knowledgeable will think its a real Canon battery and blame Canon when in reality, its a fake. But because it has Canon's logo on it and look like a Canon product, people would not buy from them again.

This goes for Fuji, Nikon, Sony, etc. These companies will do anything to make a quick buck.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
1kind said:
buy from an authorized dealer or an actual camera store.

Numerous "Actual Camera Stores have had issues selling fakes, they took shortcuts buying from a distributor who got a supposedly good deal on batteries that turned out to be fakes.

Buying from a real camera store is not enough, they must be a authorized canon dealer, and even then, some will be sneaking in counterfeits. A buyer is at the mercy of the wolves.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
drmikeinpdx said:
I bypass the fake battery issue by purchasing LPE6 clones sold under the Wasabi brand.

I've posted this before, but it seems relevant to this thread. I bought a pair of Wasabi's for my gripped 7D MkII. Weird things happened. The most irritating was the camera would go to "sleep" after the regular default one minute but would take anything between two and ten seconds to "wake up" again. You can lose a lot of important shots with delays like this. I thought it was my new 7D MkII but it was suggested by Mt Spokane (from memory) that it could be third party batteries. I switched to genuine LP-E6 batteries and problem solved.

FWIW the Wasabi's work ok in my 5D MkIII, but have markedly fewer shots per charge than the genuine LP-E6 batteries. They're emergency-only spares.

Over time my experience with third party batteries has been mixed. Back when we used the old BP 511 batteries, clones seemed to work fine and lasted for years. Clones for any 1-Series body I've had have been complete rubbish. I've well and truly learned my lesson with clones & fakes with batteries, cards, lens filters and grips. Pay full retail from a genuine authorised seller and avoid potential irritations and full-on loss of ability to work.

-pw

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
RunAndGun said:
I've lost track of how many times I've said this…

Why do people spend THOUSANDS of dollars on a camera and then worry about saving a few bucks on a battery? Especially with all of the potential problems that come with using a knock-off or fake vs. a real one.

Because they don't like paying rip-off prices for branded accessories.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
AlanF said:
RunAndGun said:

Why do people spend THOUSANDS of dollars on a camera and then worry about saving a few bucks on a battery? Especially with all of the potential problems that come with using a knock-off or fake vs. a real one.

Because maybe those full priced genuine branded accessories may in fact be best value in the long term. A lot of people have found this out over time, myself included!

-pw

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
pwp said:
AlanF said:
RunAndGun said:

Because maybe those full priced genuine branded accessories may in fact be best value in the long term. A lot of people have found this out over time, myself included!

-pw

Maybe, maybe not. It so happens I use only Canon original LP-E6 and E6Ns.

It is absurd that the list price for the Canon NB-10L, which is used in a wide range of Powershots, is £69. You can buy from Amazon equivalents at a 10th of the price or Duracell for a 5th. I always buy non-Canon batteries for the cheaper little Canons, have never had a problem, and they seem to last about the same.

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
pwp said:
AlanF said:
RunAndGun said:

-pw

This is a FUD argument though, you are overemphasising your Individual experience vs how many unknown people have had no problems - like deciding never to buy a Canon camera again simply because one of them was a dud when you bought it. If you choose to be conservative thats your right, but it's really a preference rather than something based on hard economic data.

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
$62(US) for a genuine, guaranteed battery going in a multi $K camera seems like a small price to pay knowing that the manufacturer is there standing behind it if something does go wrong. Would I like them to be $20 less(going off a quick search of non-genuine Canon batts)? Yes. But I'll play the odds and safety net of Canon. Besides, it's not like you're buying batteries like this daily or even in huge quantities. Even if you shoot a lot, two to three per body should be more than sufficient. A single battery should last YEARS in service. I have an original batt from my 5DmkIII from 2012(day one) that is still alive.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2016
USA
Zen said:
Does anyone know what Canon's position is on the interchangeability of the LP-e6 and LP-e6n batteries? Can they be used and re-charged interchangeably in the 5d3 and 5d4 and the appropriate re-chargers?

My problem is that I now own both a 5d3 and 5d4, so how careful must I be with the batts?

Thanks for your help.

Zen

No problem both batteries interchangeable and work in the Mark3 and Mark4 according to Canon.

Upvote 0
No care is needed, I use the LP-E6 and LP-E6N on loads of models, have done for years. As for fake, the only way to avoid them is as said by others buy from a trusted authorized Canon seller.

Also I use Hahnel Pro Cube charger, charge two LP series batteries at the same time with LCD progress indicator. Oh and it does AA's too as well as other Canon batteries.

Upvote 0
Labdoc said:
Zen said:
Does anyone know what Canon's position is on the interchangeability of the LP-e6 and LP-e6n batteries? Can they be used and re-charged interchangeably in the 5d3 and 5d4 and the appropriate re-chargers?

My problem is that I now own both a 5d3 and 5d4, so how careful must I be with the batts?

Thanks for your help.

Zen

No problem both batteries interchangeable and work in the Mark3 and Mark4 according to Canon.

Thanks for the reassurance. I had assumed the same, but didn't want to take the chance just based on assumption.

zen ;D

Upvote 0
Well I just got done as well but luckily I did my research first and knew straight away that it was a counterfeit. Luckily it came in packaging which was actually the giveaway but if it had been classed as used I honestly would never of known, these fakes are scarily good. Canon needs to add some type of fullproof security feature to its new batteries actually on the body itself.

Attachments

• IMG_20180723_121413.jpg
    IMG_20180723_121413.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 208
Upvote 0