Fall Fun

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Focuzed said:
Here is a pic I took of my girls while we were out for a walk before the snow came. This was the first time I got use my new 24-70 IS F4L, we had a lot fun. As I am a new photographer I wouldn't mind some feed back; positive or otherwise. Thanks for looking!
Hi Focuzed!

Congrats to this really nice picture and capturing this emotional and fun moment.

As you were asking for some feedback I'd be willing to give, but please note that I'm no professional and especially no professional critic. So everything is IMHO:
1. The girls and the flying leaves are well lit, in focus and frozen by a good shutter speed. Well done.
2. It would have been nice if the fence and maybe the tree in the background would have been a little bit more blurred. But that is only a "nice to have" and I would have preferred an aperture that delivered me the important parts sharp (see 1.)
3. Composition: To me the blonde girl on the right is a little bit too close to the image border whilst the brown haired is a little bit too much in the center.
4. Together with the dark shadows on left side (edit: that are a little bit distracting to me) this would have led me to some croping by cutting away just a little bit of the left part of the picture and putting those two girls a little bit more - but not too much - symmetrical to the (new) center.

But if you try so please don't cut away too much from top and bottom because the surrounding leaves are important to the story.

I hope I didn't sound too critical because I really like the picture and the story it tells.
And most important I hope you'll keep the joy and fun of the moment inside your heart.

Yours,
Maximilian

Upvote 0
Good day,

Thank you for the critique Maximilian! I appreciate the kind words and feed back. I had a good look at my photo after your points and I see how the fence/shadows can be distracting. The compisition of the girls off center is not ideal but cropping a bit can adjust that as you recommended and I will give that a try. I am not very experienced at post processing but I am reading on tips/tricks here on CR and videos on youtube. I am shooting only JPEG at the moment. I will have Lightroom 5 shortly and I will play around with some photos. In the future I will try to identify possible eye sores/distractions in my view finder during composition. Thanks for having a look.

Cheers,

Roger

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Focuzed said:
I like the way the scene is represented with the crop now.
Hi Roger!

If it's perfect to you now, then it's okay and don't read further on ;)

But just one additional comment:
Seeing the piture now that was exactly what i feared when i said
Maximilian said:
... by cutting away just a little bit of the left part of the picture and putting those two girls a little bit more - but not too much - symmetrical to the (new) center.
because now to me it is a little bit too symmetrical.
My aproach would have been like this (either just with or without the red leaf on the left):

Attachments

• Catch Sis_reframe.JPG
    Catch Sis_reframe.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 221
Upvote 0