Finnish wearing on my 5D Mark III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 13, 2010
K-amps said:
Yet another way Canon is crippling the 5D3

;)

We just need to do what all the Leica people did, realize that it's not a fault, it's a feature..

Noise doesn't exist in the Leica world, it's the beautiful graaain.

It's not worn off finish, it's charming brassing.

It's not horrible batterylife, it's enough for the few quality images you need to shoot.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Viggo said:
K-amps said:
Yet another way Canon is crippling the 5D3

;)

We just need to do what all the Leica people did, realize that it's not a fault, it's a feature..

Noise doesn't exist in the Leica world, it's the beautiful graaain.

It's not worn off finish, it's charming brassing.

It's not horrible batterylife, it's enough for the few quality images you need to shoot.

Agreed Viggo! :)

BUT!

Does the D800 suffer from this Peeling? ;D

Upvote 0
Interesting that all the replies are saying this never happened with a 5D mk 2 or other earlier body. I have owned my mk 2 for just over a year, and I have similar wear in an isolated patch on one of the bottom corners. It appeared rather suddenly a few months after I got the camera, and it does not seem to be getting much worse since I noticed it. I'm glad to have found this thread since I was wondering if this was normal.

I had assumed that I had somehow managed to jam the camera against a lens or something in my bag, although I'm always very careful when I put it in there. This 5D2 replaced a 20 year old EOS 10S and represents several times what I have ever paid for a camera before, so I tend to be rather protective of it. :p I have around 4000 actuations on the camera, which gets used mostly for travel photos and at home. It is certainly not subjected to heavy professional use.

The references to BlackRapid might explain how this happened. Now that I think about it, the wear probably appeared a while after I bought a BlackRapid RS-4 (which I love by the way). So my best guess is the bottom corner of my 5D2 is brushing against my clothing as I walk or hike with it hanging by my hip. Its not really a big deal - my only concern is that I have been rather tempted to sell it and buy a mk 3, and it might have some impact on the resale value. But I've decided to stick with it for a while until I feel I have a better handle on digital technique after decades of shooting film. I want to be ready when I step up to a 5D3, 7D2, or whatever Canon has out there in the future. 8)

Upvote 0
I've had mine since the week they first were available, so it's almost a year old. Shot ~50 weddings, and I see no signs of wear, not even a scratch. I try not to treat my gear rough, of course, so with care I'd say the 5D3 won't look like the photo on this thread. But it would appear from that photo that if perhaps handled roughly, it might not resist wear as much as would be ideal.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.