Firmware: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II v1.1.4

Oct 19, 2012
privatebydesign said:
Neutral said:
Problem with 1DXm2 phase AF that it is working only within limited area where Phase detect points are available so 1DXm2 can not track across almost entire frame as A9.

Seriously?
Seriously, yes.
You did not get the point.
Your picture is for PDAF in live view which does not provide AF-C mode continuous AF / object tracking for stills.
Main Phase AF using mirror and dedicated AF sensor is covering area which you can see in the attached picture from 1DXm2 AF guide.
And this is relatively small.
This is what I was talking about.

Attachments

• 1DXm2 AF area.JPG
    1DXm2 AF area.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 186
Upvote 0
Oct 19, 2012
Viggo said:
I’ve tracked kids in crazy action with face-detection with very very high hit-rate. Maybe you’re doing something wrong?

Across entire frame ?
Did you try to do that in extreme low light conditions ?
I do not argue about ability of 1DXm2 to track faces using mirror AF with dedicated AF sensor but you still limited to AF area provided by this sensor.
And still 1DXm2 has much less information from AF sensor for face tracking than a9 getting directly from sensor with high refresh rate.
My experience that A9 is doing that much better, but this is my personal feeling.
Someone else could have different experience but could judge only using both cameras.
I do not have any time to do any kind of scientific test, may be someone will do that at some time.
Also for BIF A9 is much better than 1DXm2 - it can catch bird immediately as it enters the frame and follow it across entire frame. So it is easier to follow bird with long tele lens - you do not need to keep it in center area of the frame - basically you have better tolerance/margin to follow the bird.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Neutral said:
Viggo said:
I’ve tracked kids in crazy action with face-detection with very very high hit-rate. Maybe you’re doing something wrong?

Across entire frame ?
Did you try to do that in extreme low light conditions ?
I do not argue about ability of 1DXm2 to track faces using mirror AF with dedicated AF sensor but you still limited to AF area provided by this sensor.
And still 1DXm2 has much less information from AF sensor for face tracking than a9 getting directly from sensor with high refresh rate.
My experience that A9 is doing that much better, but this is my personal feeling.
Someone else could have different experience but could judge only using both cameras.
I do not have any time to do any kind of scientific test, may be someone will do that at some time.
Also for BIF A9 is much better than 1DXm2 - it can catch bird immediately as it enters the frame and follow it across entire frame. So it is easier to follow bird with long tele lens - you do not need to keep it in center area of the frame - basically you have better tolerance/margin to follow the bird.

I normally compose my shots before I start tracking, so I see no point in tracking something across the frame, but it can do it, it's just a matter of how I set up the "Case"-settings.

But the real question is, why do you use the 1dx2 if the A9 is the answer to all your issues? I don't buy 1-series because I insist on Canon, I buy it because it's better than anything else for me.

Upvote 0