Firmware: Canon EOS R5 C v1.0.2.1 is now available

robotfist

Cinematographer/Photographer - Canon C300 III
Oct 23, 2017
Los Angeles
And here's a good chart showing how Canon Log 2's gamma curve extends past Canon Log 3's and achieves more dynamic range:

https://www.danielhaggett.com/blog/260-canon-c300-mkii-log-log2-or-log3-which-is-best

Essentially, you're not getting the full dynamic range of the sensor shooting Clog3 with the R5C. And unless Canon let's us shoot with Clog2, we won't really know if the R5C's sensor is truly capable of shooting 14-15 stops like Canon claims it can.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK
And here's a good chart showing how Canon Log 2's gamma curve extends past Canon Log 3's and achieves more dynamic range:

https://www.danielhaggett.com/blog/260-canon-c300-mkii-log-log2-or-log3-which-is-best

Essentially, you're not getting the full dynamic range of the sensor shooting Clog3 with the R5C. And unless Canon let's us shoot with Clog2, we won't really know if the R5C's sensor is truly capable of shooting 14-15 stops like Canon claims it can.
Garland Undone found pretty close to 14 stops in his tests.

I’m really sorry but you’re just not going to get what you ask for. Can you name me any other canon cinema camera that’s gotten clog2 in a similar update? It sounds like you’d be a lot happier with a C70.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
You can shoot in RAW and get 100% of the dynamic range that the camera gets.
Canon never claimed 15 stops and CLOG3 has up to 14+ stops.

Upvote 0

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA
Love my R5 C. Don't need CLog2. 3 is just fine. Plenty of DR for me. I would however like to see something from Canon on the FW front. 1.0.2.1 was released in Oct. 2022. Its been about 4 months. Other body's are getting updates. Hopefully they are working on something that addresses more than the external mic defeat which was excellent and helpful, but there are still some features and optimizations which could be enhanced. Its a fantastic camera and I'm hoping we'll see something in Feb besides support for the EL-5.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA
I should have added above. These are the features I am hoping for most:

-Allow aperture control using the quick control dial on back of camera in video mode
-Access to BT and Wi-Fi in video mode, just simple control would be fine
-Battery optimization video mode

If we can use the quick control dial in photo mode to control aperture, I would think it could be made available in video mode as well. Using Wi-Fi and BT in video mode appears to be possible as well. The camera has the hardware. The last thing someone wants to do is buy/attach more hardware so that something which already exists will work. Maybe there is a reason for this, but its not apparent. Last, everyone who owns the R5 C knows that when the battery shows depleted in video mode, you can switch back to photo mode and still have 2 bars of battery life left to shoot with. Maybe this could be optimized. USB- C PD works, but once again, it looks like additional optimization might be possible. Example, the camera does not need to be oversampling in 8k when you aren't shooting. The media button is the current stop gap.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

What's the UPDATED dynamic range from the R5c and Clog3 now? We know the R5c is now Netflix approved so how many stops can it produce now?

Upvote 0