Firmware: Canon EOS R5 v1.6.0 now available

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
FYI, I upgraded from 1.5.2 > 1.6 and took my camera out today, I'm only a photographer, and I've had my R5 since Dec 2020. Until now it never froze on me. It started freezing during photographing birds today, using servo and with eye detection. In 10 min it froze on my 3 times, EVF just freezes, have to remove battery as turning it off doesn't do anything.

I just reverted back to 1.5.2 successfully, won't be touching 1.6 from now on.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
I still don't think you can base that off of reported lockups here. Like how many R5 bodies are out there currently? And how many have reported lockups? I bet the actual percentage is lower than you'd think, or like.

And what's that suppose to do to help me? Mine has never locked up over 2 years, first time its started locking up after 1.6, YES there is a problem and I went back to 1.5.2. Take that as you wish if you don't have any issues.

Upvote 0
Whatever the reason it seems safe to assume there is still a problem with lockups which Canon are aware of but have to date been unable to find a definitive cause for or the exact circumstances under which it happens.

I guess they dont want to admit publicly that there is still an issue but would hope they're still working behand the scenes to figure it out?

I've always updated firmware as a matter of course with previous Canon cameras but I'm a bit reticent to move on from 1.4 for fear of making things worse.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2016
The wonderful thing about software is that is it almost impossible to fix a problem that you cannot reproduce. If you have well defined steps that can reliably reproduce the lockup problem please report them directly to Canon, you can likely do that via CPS (canon Professional Services) which is free to join, so long as you own one of their cameras. They're quite helpful.

Problems that cannot be reproduced are extremely difficult to fix. You have to see the code go wrong to work out what the issue is. Even a video of you locking up your camera could help solve the problem. I've only seen 1 lockup on the R5 and that seemed to be related to pointing at a bright light source (in my case a cloud) and the autofocus seemed to go into a loop backwards and forwards until it locked up a few seconds later.

Upvote 0