Firmware: Canon EOS R5 v1.6.0 now available

ericblenman

I'm New Here
Oct 18, 2020
I don’t shoot video but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen tutorials with longer than 30 minutes recording time when using an external device. I believe that also prevents overheating issues if the battery is external and theres no card in camera. But don’t quote me.
You are absolutely right.

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I use these settings a lot. Never had a single issue.
Genuinely glad to hear it :). Unfortunately that doesn't help those of us whose cameras suffer from these intermittent freezes. Some batches (possibly only one batch) of bodies clearly suffer from malfunctions, and none of the firmware updates have fixed them. I've just updated to 1.6.0 and have yet again reset the camera to default settings, so it will be interesting to see whether the latest firmware has any impact on the freezes. I suspect that it won't.

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I can't tell if you're joking or just being a jerk but it seems like you're talking about a mechanical wobble as you manipulate a lens that has IS functionality. This is not what is being discussed. What is being discussed is a wobble in the corners of a video recording shot with IBIS using an UWA lens.
(y)

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK
If you want that effect to go away, then shoot in crop mode (the 4k is very good). The problem is caused by the fact that the lens has distortion near the edges so when the IBIS moves the sensor, the distortion changes and the distortion correction is just not smart enough to compensate. The other alternative if you want the full wide angle of view is to turn off IS altogether and shoot with a gimbal. Note that just turning off IBIS (if you could) would potentially reduce the problem, but not eliminate it and it would also reduce the amount of stabilization available. Bottom line, what works great for stills doesn't always work well for video and that is why Cine lenses are so much more expensive than still lenses in spite of the fact that they are often less sharp.
The crop mode overheats faster than any other mode on the R6. Even in 1080p 25. This weekend I was using an EFS lens and got 50mins before the camera shut down.

tbgtomcom

Canon R5 (x2)
Aug 24, 2021
Ran a new video test with firmware 1.6 this morning. All internal this time with a 256gb card with 4kHQ IPB 30p with faithful profile. Temp feature is set to high. Room temperature here is around 76.5F (24.5C). LCD door is open. Camera temps peaked at 123.0F (50.6C) using my infrared thermometer. Memory card: Sandisk Extreme PRO 1200mb/s. Using the battery grip with two LPE6NH batteries. White overheat icon showed up at 83:22 minutes. Red overheat icon showed up at 131:37 minutes. Batteries depleted at 161:25 minutes (2.7 hours). I'd say the overheating issue is now resolved. Video files took up 138gb of data. Of course I had to restart every 30 minutes to perform this test.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

blackcoffee17

EOS RP
Sep 17, 2014
Ran a new video test with firmware 1.6 this morning. All internal this time with a 256gb card with 4kHQ IPB 30p with faithful profile. Temp feature is set to high. Room temperature here is around 76.5F (24.5C). LCD door is open. Camera temps peaked at 123.0F (50.6C) using my infrared thermometer. Memory card: Sandisk Extreme PRO 1200mb/s. Using the battery grip with two LPE6NH batteries. White overheat icon showed up at 83:22 minutes. Red overheat icon showed up at 131:37 minutes. Batteries depleted at 161:25 minutes (2.7 hours). I'd say the overheating issue is now resolved. Video files took up 138gb of data. Of course I had to restart every 30 minutes to perform this test.

That sounds really good! Hopefully won't damage the camera long term.

Reactions: 1 user
Aug 24, 2021
Loaded the new firmware to my R3 yesterday but not had a chance to try it out yet but checking the Canon UK site today it says "We regret to inform you that the recent firmware release for the EOS R3 is temporarily unavailable. Please check back soon for updates". Do I need to be concerned?

koenkooi

EOS 5D Mark IV
CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015

Birdshooter

I'm New Here
Oct 14, 2019
Not even a mention on the site, as to why the firmware was retracted by Canon world wide it seems.
You would think that someone would have posted that its been taken down by Canon. Why?

mpmark

EOS RP
Aug 9, 2016
FYI, I upgraded from 1.5.2 > 1.6 and took my camera out today, I'm only a photographer, and I've had my R5 since Dec 2020. Until now it never froze on me. It started freezing during photographing birds today, using servo and with eye detection. In 10 min it froze on my 3 times, EVF just freezes, have to remove battery as turning it off doesn't do anything.

I just reverted back to 1.5.2 successfully, won't be touching 1.6 from now on.

• Wow

mpmark

EOS RP
Aug 9, 2016
I still don't think you can base that off of reported lockups here. Like how many R5 bodies are out there currently? And how many have reported lockups? I bet the actual percentage is lower than you'd think, or like.

And what's that suppose to do to help me? Mine has never locked up over 2 years, first time its started locking up after 1.6, YES there is a problem and I went back to 1.5.2. Take that as you wish if you don't have any issues.

LesC

EOS RP
CR Pro
Whatever the reason it seems safe to assume there is still a problem with lockups which Canon are aware of but have to date been unable to find a definitive cause for or the exact circumstances under which it happens.

I guess they dont want to admit publicly that there is still an issue but would hope they're still working behand the scenes to figure it out?

I've always updated firmware as a matter of course with previous Canon cameras but I'm a bit reticent to move on from 1.4 for fear of making things worse.